If you’ve ever tried to watch a video but couldn’t, it’s likely because the format wasn’t supported correctly for your device. To solve this problem, you need a video converter. But not all video converters support the same files. So, my team and I tested dozens of different types of video converter software and discovered the best video converter software with the most available formats below.
The Movavi Video Convertor pairs great with Movavi's video editor & screen recorder
Video converter software is a specialized file converter that lets you transform one type of video format into another (e.g., MOV to MP4), often saving space.
This article looks at some of the top tools for converting video files, and in it, you’ll discover our hand-picked list of the best video converter software, including open-source (free) and commercial (paid) options.
We’ll look closely at their main features, pricing, pros, cons, and what makes them ideal for use.
Without further ado, let’s get right to it.
What is the Best Video Converter Software?
Best overall video converter software (Starts at $25.95 for one year)
VideoProc Converter is one of the best video converter software out there. It’s a one-stop platform for 4K video processing software with all the features you need to edit, transcode, and resize your videos.
You can sign up for a free trial or opt for one of the premium plans, where you pay a flat rate each year to access the software’s full features.
This is my top pick for the best video converter tools. Its level-3 GPU hardware acceleration feature offers excellent and fast conversions, making it ideal for any user looking for a simple yet powerful video processing solution.
- 420+ Output Profiles: With VideoProc, you can convert videos, any audio format, DVD, and Blu-ray discs, into any format/mobile, including over 420 output profiles.
- Enhance Traditional Video Quality for Optimal Widescreen Viewing: This feature lets you easily handle 4K/8K/HD/and/videos, resulting in high-quality, enhanced results.
- Advanced Features: The software enables you to merge videos into one big file. You can also add effects before you convert videos.
The instant you purchase the VideoProc Converter, you get an email with the latest full version download link and software license code.
Once you download and install the software, you will have full access to all its features with no limitations whatsoever.
You’ll also enjoy free support service, guidance, and technical assistance via email. The software also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
You can sign up for a free trial where you have access to all the software’s features (but with a 5-minute limitation on videos).
To unlock the full functionality, you must upgrade to one of the paid plans, which are as follows:
One Year License (1 PC): $25.95 (Discounted from $38.90)
- One-time fee
- Free update within one year
Lifetime License (1 PC): $45.95 (Discounted from $78.90)
- One-time fee
- Free lifetime upgrade
- Unlimited downloads of up-to-date full version without extra fee
Family License (Lifetime, 2- 5 PCs): $57.95 (From $119.90)
- Multi-user license with free lifetime upgrade
- Up to 5 computers
Best video converter with additional tools (Starts at $44.95/year)
Movavi Video Converter lets you convert media files into over 180 formats.
As a result, you can quickly change the format of all your movies, videos, and other digital content.
You can also compress your files and edit and share them using a wide range of video conversion tools on Movavi video converter.
Designed for Windows and Mac, this powerful app supports all popular file formats, including MP4, GIF, MOV, AVI, RAW, WMV, DVD, MKV, VOB, and MP3 for all popular devices, including Sony, Huawei, Samsung, Xiaomi, and Apple iPhone and iPad.
You don’t need any special knowledge or expertise to use the Movavi video converter.
Download it to your device, and the intuitive interface will guide you through converting your files with incredible speed.
- Supports 180+ Output Formats: This program supports virtually all formats, which means you’ll be able to convert your videos into any design you need.
- Drag-and-Drop Functionality: Non-tech-savvy users can effortlessly drag-and-drop the video file they want to convert into the program window.
- Add Subtitles: You can add subtitles to your video file before converting and sharing them at the click of a button.
Movavi Video Converter has non-commercial (personal) and commercial (business) licenses.
You can sign up for a free trial on the website, after which you can choose the plan that suits your requirements.
Premium plans are as follows:
Video Converter Premium – One-year subscription: $44.95/1 PC
- Includes all the program’s features for one year
- Pay a yearly license and renew if satisfied
Video Converter Premium – Lifetime: $54.95/1 PC
- Supports 180+ output formats
- Profiles for 200+ devices
- Ultrafast conversion process
- Instant video file merging without quality loss
- Trim, rotate, and crop video
- Quality enhancement
- Automatic video conversion tools
- Adding effects
- Online subtitle search
- Online user support
Video Suite – Lifetime: $84.95 / 1 PC
All video apps in one pack, including:
- Video Editor Plus – $64.95
- Video Converter Premium – $54.95
- Screen Recorder – $52.95
- Split Movie – free!
- Media Player – free!
- DVD and Blu-ray Burner – free!
Or, check out my Movavi Video Converter review for more info.
Best for converting videos quickly without loss of quality ($39.99/year)
Wondershare UniConverter is a one-stop video-converting software that lets you convert any type of media file.
This easy-to-use program will help you make your video content stand out by enhancing the quality and reducing space, allowing you to easily save or share your videos.
It’s one of the most efficient and best video converters when it comes to output video quality and speed.
Use its advanced editing features to customize your home videos or downloaded video files to get professional-grade work in just minutes.
You’ll also be able to compress and download videos at the touch of a button to get the right size and quality for playback on mobile devices or other purposes, such as sending emails, sharing on Facebook, YouTube, and other social networks, etc.
- Multiple Output Formats Supported: With Wondershare UniConverter, you can optimize and convert your video files into a wide range of video and audio formats, including MP4, MOV, 3GP, AVI, and MPEG.
- Batch Video Conversion: One of the best video converters with a unique feature that lets you process multiple files simultaneously.
- Convert Video to GIF: The software lets you convert any video file into GIF format with one click.
Wondershare UniConverter offers a free trial, but the prosecution doesn’t convert complete video.
You won’t have full access to all the features in the demo, and if you want to unlock all of the software’s functionality, you must upgrade to one of the paid plans, which are as follows:
Annual Plan: $39.99/year
- Automatically renew or cancel anytime
- One year of UniConverter updates
- 1-year access to all basic features
- No watermark
- Free tech support
- Optional access to 6 add-on features for $5.99/month (includes the following tools for Windows: Smart Trim, Watermark Editor, Subtitle Editor, Auto Reframe, AI Portrait, and Intro & Outro)
2-Year Plan: $55.99/2-year
- Everything in the “Annual” plan +
- Two years of Wondershare UniConverter updates
- Two years of access to all basic features
Perpetual Plan: $79.99/One Time Fee
- Everything in the 2-year plan +
- Free forever to use Wondershare UniConverter
UniConverter Plan: $119.99 One-time fee
- Includes everything in the “Perpetual” plan
- 1-year subscription for six add-on features
- 1-hour experience of Auto-Subtitle Generator
- 50 credits of Background Remover
Best video converter for creatives (Starts at $39.99)
This popular video editing software will help you transform your video files into professional-grade movies and videos.
It’s a fun video editor that lets you easily enhance, convert, and share videos.
You can also transform any image into an eye-catching animation in three simple steps before converting the file into any format you desire to view on any device.
- All-in-One Solution: VideoStudio has built-in tools and premium plugins to meet all your needs, including converting, recording, editing, enhancing, and exporting 360° videos.
- Supports Multiple Formats: You can work with a wide range of input and output formats using VideoStudio.
- Easy to Use: The simple drag-and-drop editor makes it easy to edit and enhance your videos and add effects before converting them for use.
VideoStudio is more than just one of the best video converters.
The software has many additional tools that you can use to get the exact results you want before hitting the “Convert” button.
The video converter has two premium plans that provide the best-in-class video editing software. They are as follows:
VideoStudio Pro 2021: $39.99/One-time fee
- HD, 4K, 360 video editing
- Creative filters and effects
- Multicam editor
- DVD menu authoring
- AR stickers
- Instant project templates
- Smart video tools and slideshow maker
- Morph and seamless transitions
VideoStudio Ultimate 2021: $49.99/One-time fee
- Everything in the “VideoStudio Pro” plan +
- 2,000+ creative filters and effects
- 6-camera multicam editor
- 100+ templates DVD menu authoring
- Enhanced video mask creator
- Color grading
- Premium effects
- 3D titles
- Split-screen template editor
Best for converting videos as you download them (Starts at $19.99)
ByClick Downloader is a powerful platform for downloading videos in various formats from websites like YouTube, Facebook, DailyMotion, and over 40 others.
It’s free to use as one of the best free video converters, although the free version has limited functionality to convert video files.
You can get the premium version for just $19.99, and you’ll be able to download video content in HD and 4K quality.
In addition to allowing you to back up your videos, the software also lets you track the download.
With the help of this tool, you can download entire YouTube channels and playlists at the click of a button and convert each of your videos into your desired format quickly and easily. This makes it one of the best video converter software if you’re looking to save some time by converting as you download.
- Constant Updates: The service is always up-to-date, and the team works hard to release new versions every few weeks.
- Multiple Formats Supported: Convert your videos to MP3, MP4, AVI, FLV, 3GP, and WMV, among many others. You might want to use other software to convert MP4 to MP3 files as they can be quicker.
- One-Click Download: The program has a one-click download mode that lets you directly download videos from the web browser to convert video files
With ByClick Downloader, you can take all your favorite videos everywhere, starting right now by signing up for a free version of the software.
You can unlock more special features with the premium version.
Plans are as follows:
Free Plan: $0/month
- Back up videos from any platform
- Convert videos to any format you want
- Choose any quality you want
Premium Plan: $19.99/month
- Everything in the “Free” plan +
- Download playlist and channel with a click
- Convert to AVI, WMV, etc.
- Get an ad-free experience
- Download YouTube and Facebook private videos
- Download HD videos
- Download by video name
- Download subtitles
- Add ID3 tags for every MP3
- Cut downloaded MP3s to make ringtones
You can get 50% off by upgrading to 3 PCs.
Best video converter for intuitive ease of use ($29.95/year/PC)
WonderFox HD Video Converter Factory Pro focuses on converting videos and video encoding, editing, downloading, recording, etc.
This all-in-one, video-converting software is designed for ease of use to make it easy for non-tech savvy users to create premium quality videos.
This program stands out from other HD video converters thanks to its exclusive video encoding technology, allowing it to achieve higher quality output.
The software is equipped with an HD video conversion tool and technology.
As a result, it works particularly well in converting videos from SD (standard definition) to HD (high definition), including HD MP4, HD AVI, HD MKV, and much more.
- Seamless and straightforward: This is a good video converter if you value ease of use. It has simple yet powerful features and a highly intuitive interface, making it great for beginners for video conversion.
- Advanced Features: In addition to basic features for beginners, this program has built-in editing tools and advanced features for customizing the output.
- Ready-Made Device Profiles: Pre-made profiles tailored to specific playback devices that beginners can select.
WonderFox offers a free download that lets you convert your videos right away without committing to a paid plan.
However, to enjoy the top features, you must upgrade to the paid version from the free version.
The software’s plans are as follows:
Free Plan: $0/month
- Convert video to AVI, MP4, MKV, MP3, WAV, etc.
- Edit videos, trim and merge, and add effects and filters.
- Download videos from YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, etc.
1-Year Subscription: $29.95/PC
- Everything in the “Free” plan +
- Convert SD video to HD video
- Picture enhancements
- Lightning mode
- Hardware acceleration
- Batch conversion
- Smart fit the output
- Dolby surround sound
- Lossless compression
Lifetime License: $34/95/PC
- Everything in the “1-year” subscription +
- Lifetime license
- Family Pack (Lifetime): $59.95
- Everything in the “Lifetime” Licence +
- 3 PCs
7. NCH Prism
Best multi-format video converter ($29.99/month)
NCH Prism is a simple yet powerful tool for video conversion on Windows and MacOS. It’s ideal for a wide range of users, including individuals and small and medium-sized studios.
The video-converting software lets you quickly convert multiple videos to and from any popular video format so you can publish your converted videos directly to DVD.
The software can also convert files to many formats compatible with iPhones, Android phones, Xbox, and PlayStation devices.
- Batch Conversion: NCH Prism lets you convert many videos simultaneously with just the click of a button.
- Direct DVD Converter: You can publish them to DVD at once after converting your videos.
- Advanced Editing Features: The premium plans have powerful editing features that let you split, trim, add effects, and enhance your videos before conversion.
NCH Prism has various tools, including a video format converter, switch sound format converter, video conversion, video capture, and editing software.
Pricing for the video converter software is as follows:
Prism Video Format Converter: $39.95/One-time fee
- Unrestricted license including MPEG2 patent
Prism Video Format Converter (Plus Edition): $29.99/One-time fee
- Unrestricted license including all the Plus formats excluding MPEG2
Prism Video Format Converter (Quarterly Plan): $6.63/quarterly
- Unlimited ongoing use of all features and all upgrades in the “Plus” Edition
Best for converting homemade DVDs ($66.75 Lifetime fee)
AnyMP4 Video Converter Ultimate is ideal for users, including freelancers, commercial ad studios, and even home video editing.
You can use the basic version (free version) of the video converting software for free, but if you want to unlock its full potential, you must upgrade to one of the premium plans.
However, it’s important to note that even the unpaid version of online video converter software is among the best free video converters you’ll find online.
It supports conversion to over 100 video formats and saves your video files 100% quality.
A unique feature that sets it apart is the NVIDIA NVENC accelerated encoding that allows for faster processing.
The video conversion tool also has additional features that let you extract audio from videos and download videos from streaming sites like YouTube, Vimeo, etc.
- Built-in Media Player: You can convert videos, edit, use a video compressor, convert full HD videos, and play them using the program’s built-in media player.
- Superfast Conversion: The program has a single-click solution to rip DVDs into MPG ten times faster. If you’re primarily interested in DVD conversion, check out our list of the best DVD to MP4 converters.
- Moviemaker Feature: With the software, you can use your photos, video clips, and audio to make professional-grade movies.
AnyMP4 Video Converter Ultimate offers a free download and a premium plan with all the features you need to download and convert videos to any format.
Plans are as follows:
- Free Plan: $0/month
- Convert 8K/5K/4K/1080p HD video to 500+ formats
- Convert homemade DVD/movie to popular video and do even audio format conversion (CD included)
- Copy DVD to ISO/folder in a one-to-one ratio
- Edit and compress full HD video
- Play video files on the built-in media player
- Make GIF video
- 1-year License: $41.25/PC
- Full access to all features without restrictions, unlike other video converters
- Use it for a year and renew it satisfied
- Lifetime License: $66.75 One-time fee
- Full access to all features without restrictions
- Free upgrades for a lifetime
Best for high-quality video conversions ($19.99 One-time fee)
DivX Converter offers various features for playing, creating, and casting your favorite videos.
The freemium software has three components that allow you to enjoy superfast video conversions (DivX Converter), high-quality video playback up to 4K (DivX Player), and cast media from your PC to your TV (DivX Media Server).
You can play video from the cloud by enabling the Cloud Connect feature.
In addition, you can use the advanced playback and audio (almost all audio formats) features to quickly navigate to your favorite scenes or switch between soundtracks without interrupting playback.
In short, this program is so much more than just a video converter.
It will give you the best possible experience for less than half the cost of purchasing each Pro feature individually.
- Play Videos Anywhere: DivX Converter lets you convert videos to play anywhere and comes equipped with DivX profiles to create videos compatible with all devices.
- Free Version Available: Even with the free converter, the free version has a free audio video pack that helps you convert videos to 4K resolution, suitable for ultrahigh definition screens.
- DivX Accelerated: This technology offloads the heavy lifting of converting video from the software to the CPU so you can maximize quality or prioritize speed for any video format or video file that allows you to convert with basic video editing tools.
DivX Converter has a free version that you can use for as long as possible. However, even as a free video converter software, it doesn’t give you access to all the software’s full features.
You must upgrade from a free version to a paid plan to get the most from the software.
Plans are as follows:
Free Plan: $0/month
- Play most popular video formats, including MKV, DivX, and HEVC, up to 4K
- Stream videos to DLNA-compatible devices, including smart TVs, tablets, gaming consoles, Chromecast, etc. with free video converters
- Create and play videos with multiple audio and subtitle tracks in different formats
- Convert popular video formats into MP4, HEVC, MKV, and DivX, including custom encoding settings for bitrate, resolution, etc. to convert video clips (ie. convert YouTube videos).
Pro Plan: $19.99 One-time fee
- Everything in the “Free” plan +
- Use the converter to crop video borders, set custom frame rates, and add custom logo overlays.
- Cloud Connect to import videos from Dropbox and Google Drive
- Ad-free experience in the video player, converter, and installer
- Video Pack for converting MPEG-2 and VC-1 video to DivX, MKV, and MP4 file formats
- AC3 Edition to add AC3 audio playback with a free audio video pack
- DFX Audio Enhancer to improve the sound quality of audio in DivX Player for Windows
- DTS-HD plugin to convert and play videos with DTS-HD audio
- Unlock custom encode settings, HEVC 10-bit playback, and more
Best professional video converter for the cost ($29.99/year)
iDealshare VideoGo is a professional video-converting software that is extremely easy to use.
It’s perfect for beginners, but it also has advanced features (including video editing tools) that make it ideal for experienced users to convert videos into any video file format in Windows and MacOS.
You can convert all types of video and audio files to any format, SD or HD, with no loss of quality.
Convert video to audio, and vice versa, or music video to audio, and audio files to different formats of audio. As an audio converter, you can trust iDealshare Video Go.
In addition, you can convert video to streaming MP4 or MOV for upload to YouTube, Facebook, and other video-sharing sites at the click of a button.
The software also lets you edit movie files (trim, merge, crop, split, etc.) before converting videos for successfully sharing and playing on all devices.
With this powerful tool, you’ll be able to convert your video files much faster and preserve the original quality.
- Fast Video Conversion: This professional video converter allows you to convert any video and audio formats quickly and easily.
- Preserve Video Quality: iDealshare VideoGo lets you preserve 100% original quality of all your video, audio, and image files during conversion.
- Convert to Any Format: As a video and audio converter, you can convert media files to successfully playback on any media player or portable device.
When you purchase iDealshare VideoGo for windows, your license code will be sent to you immediately via email.
You can either get a one-year subscription or a lifetime license.
Here’s what each entails:
1-Year Subscription: $29.99/year
- Use the product for one year and renew if satisfied
- Free technical support service
- Free updates
- 30-day unconditional money-back guarantee
Lifetime License: $49.99/One-time fee
- Access to all features forever
- Lifetime technical support service
- Lifetime updates
- 30-day unconditional money-back guarantee
Best free video converter supporting 500+ formats (Completely Free)
Freemake Video Converter is a great option if you want a free option for converting your video files.
It’s an easy-to-use program and offers a ton of free training via documentation to help you get up and running using the software.
All you have to do to use it is to download the software, load up your video files, and then choose any of the dozens of output formats after video editing.
Advanced options allow you to combine files into one, and you can even burn your videos and movies directly to DVD.
The tool also has features that will enable you to add subtitles, edit video length, etc., directly within the program, making this one of the best free video converter software options available.
- Multiple Formats Supported: Freemake Video Converting software supports a wide range of input and output formats, including 3G2, 3GP, AVCHD, AVI, DV, HTML5, ISO, MKV, etc.
- Free to Use: You can convert all your files and use some more advanced features without committing to a paid plan.
- Burn to Disc: Freemake Video Converter lets you edit and enhance your videos, after which you can burn videos and files directly to a DVD.
As the name suggests, you can download and use Freemake Video Converter without paying anything upfront.
So far, the software has been downloaded by over 103 million users.
Here are the features you get with each free download:
- All-in-one video conversion software
- Video converter for any gadget device
- Convert to over 500 formats
- Extract audio files
- Edit videos
- Rip and burn DVDs
- Make photo slideshows
… and much more.
Best free multi-platform video converter (Free)
Handbrake is an open-source video converter tool for converting video from one format to another.
It supports a wide range of codecs, and the transcoder is available for Windows, Mac OS, and Linux.
It’s designed to make it easy for anyone to use the software and allows you to convert video and audio files.
You can convert video files to create and convert online videos, YouTube videos, and Blu-Ray discs for free in any file format or video format, regardless of their video editing experience that you can use for Windows and Mac OS directly from a video downloader.
The Handbrake video converter free conversion tool lets you convert videos from supported source formats to MKV, MP4, or WebM format.
Unfortunately, this free post-production tool doesn’t allow you to change the source video. However, you’ll need to use another video editing tool.
With Handbrake, you can take videos you’ve already made and transform them into new ones that play perfectly on your computer, web browser for online videos, TV media player, tablet, or mobile phone.
- Convert 4K and Full HD: Handbrake free video file converter lets you convert full HD and 4K videos for free without compromising quality on the best video conversion software.
- Free and Open-Source: The popular converter is free and open-source software, so
- you don’t have to pay anything to start using it for your video conversion needs.
- Multiplatform Software: You can use this batch conversion tool on Linux, Windows, and MacOS with excellent quality output video and audio.
You can enjoy all the top features of Handbrake by simply downloading the software.
It’s completely free to use, and immediately after downloading it, you’ll have access to all the software’s top features, which means you will be able to get started right away, converting video from nearly any format to a wide range of commonly used codecs.
There is many more video conversion software that can help you convert video HD videos such as Winx HD Video Converter Deluxe, which can process multiple files and multiple videos at the same time- it allows you to convert multiple files simultaneously like Winx HD Video Converter Deluxe, Power Director 365, and more.
- WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe
- FonePaw Video Converter Ultimate
- Leawo Video Converter
- Aiseeesoft Video Converter Ultimate
- PowerDirector 365
- Online Video Converter Software
- Gihosoft Free Video Converter Program
- DVD VideoSoft Free Video Converter Software
- AVS Video Converter
What is Video Converter Software?
Video converter software is a tool you use when you can’t open a video in a certain format.
The program performs the conversion into different formats while maintaining the quality of the video.
You can also use this type of software to reduce the size of the video file to make it easier to store it, play it on mobile devices, or use it online or in emails.
With a video converter, you’ll be able to store clips in various file formats, including AVI, MP4, MOV, FLV, and many more.
Many of the best video converter software options support various video-streaming websites, including Facebook, YouTube, Vimeo, Wistia, Leawo Video Converter, etc.
However, we have not discussed Winx HD Video Converter Deluxe, Gihosoft Free Video Converter, AVS Video Converter, and more that you can explore to find the perfect one for you.
This video conversion program can help you with your business processes by allowing you to download, edit, enhance, play, and share video content in the proper format for each channel or website.
What Features to Look For in Video Converter Software
There are dozens of great editing tools and apps for converting videos, and the one you choose will depend on your specific needs. The best video converters that someone else might use might not be as useful to you as them.
Because of that, there are a few important factors to consider when choosing the best video converters to ensure that you get value for money.
Here are some of the essential features to look for:
- Ease-Of-Use: The whole point of getting a video converter tool is to make your life easier. So, make sure you choose one that doesn’t have a steep learning curve so you can start converting your videos right away.
- Format Options: Choose a video converter with a large variety of output format options to ensure that it supports the formats you work with the most. Convert a video clip and any audio files and audio tracks into multiple file formats. Use a wide range of input video formats and any output format (including audio and more). Choose the one that allows you to convert videos, and extract audio tracks and video clips.
- Features: Depending on your needs, you might have a list of must-have features that your video converter software needs. Check the software creator’s website or sign up for a free video converter trial to see if they offer your desired functionality before committing to a paid plan.
- Support: This is a crucial feature, particularly for beginner users. You need to reach the customer support team any time you come across a problem or if you need questions answered while using the software.
- Pricing: Choose a video converter that provides all the features you need at an affordable price. Better yet, opt for the best free video converters that offer either a free version or a free trial, so you can test out the software to see if it’s a great fit before committing to a paid plan.
Video Converter Software Q&A
Wondershare Video Converter is the best free video converter for Mac. The software converts video files to over 1,000 formats on Mac, including MOV, MP4, AVI, MKV, and many others.
The best free video converter is Freemake Video Converter. It’s a completely free video converter, and it is easy to use and converts any type of file to a different file format quickly and easily.
You can even burn videos directly to DVD with this free version of software.
VideoProc is the best video converter from HD to 4K. It’s one of the top options on our list and comes with features to upscale your video to 4K or downscale to 1080p.
The difference between MP4 and MOV is that MOV files usually contain high bitrate video files with little to no compression, whereas MP4 files contain highly compressed video files and serve as file containers compatible across different platforms.
Best Video Converter Software Summary & Top Picks
The best video converters support a wide range of video formats to ensure you can view your high-quality videos on any device.
Other important things to consider include how long it takes to convert a video, ease of use, other video editing tools that come with the converter, and how easy it is to download or move videos from one place to another.
Here Are My Top Picks for the Best Video Converter Software:
The Movavi Video Convertor pairs great with Movavi's video editor & screen recorder
Whether you hope to achieve business objectives such as website building, rank tracking, or any others, I hope this guide has helped you discover the best video converter software to suit your needs.