If you’ve ever failed to view a video file because the format wasn’t supported on your device, then what you needed was a video converter program.
This type of tool is a specialized file converter that lets you transform one type of video format into another, (e.g. from MOV to MP4), often saving space in the process.
This article takes a look at some of the top tools for converting video files.
Read the rest of it to discover my hand-picked list of the best video converter software, including both open-source (free) and commercial (paid) options.
We’ll take a closer look at their main features, pricing, pros, and cons, as well as what makes them ideal for use.
Without further ado, let’s get right to it.
What is the Best Video Converter Software?
A powerful suite of tools for converting, editing, and enhancing your videos ($29.95 One-time fee).
VideoProc Converter is a one-stop platform for 4K video processing software with all the features you need to edit, transcode, and resize your videos.
You can sign up for a free trial or opt for one of the premium plans where you pay a flat rate each year to access the software’s full features.
One of the main reasons why this is my top pick for the best video converter tools is that it offers excellent and fast conversions thanks to its level-3 GPU hardware acceleration feature which makes it ideal for any user looking for a simple yet powerful video processing solution.
- 420+ Output Profiles: With VideoProc, you can convert any video audio, or DVD into any format/mobile, including over 420 output profiles.
- GPU Acceleration: This feature lets you easily handle 4K/8K/HD/and/videos so you end up with high-quality, enhanced results.
- Advanced Features: The software lets you merge videos into one big file, you can also add effects to videos before converting them.
The instant you purchase the VideoProc Converter, you get an email with the latest full version download link and software license code.
Once you download and install the software, you will have full access to all of its features with no limitations whatsoever. You’ll also enjoy free support service, guidance, and technical assistance via email. The software also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
You can sign up for a free trial where you have access to all the software’s features (but with a 5-minute limitation on videos).
To unlock the full functionality, you must upgrade to one of the paid plans, which are as follows:
- One Year License (1 PC): $29.95 (Discounted from $59.90)
- One-time fee
- Free update within one year
- Lifetime License (1 PC): $37.95 (Discounted from $78.90)
- One-time fee
- Free lifetime upgrade
- Unlimited downloads of up-to-date full version without extra fee
- Family License (Lifetime, 2- 5 PCs): $57.95 (From $119.90)
- Multi-user license with free lifetime upgrade
- Up to 5 computers
- Free gift: iPhone Manager
A powerful tool to convert videos with just one click ($44.95/year/PC).
Movavi Video Converter lets you convert media files into over 180 formats. You can quickly change the format of all your movies, videos, and other digital content.
You can also compress your files, edit, and share them using a wide range of tools on this conversion program.
Designed for Windows and Mac, this powerful app supports all popular formats including MP4, GIF, MOV, AVI, RAW, WMV, DVD, MKV, VOB, and MP3 for all popular devices including Sony, Huawei, Samsung, Xiaomi, and Apple iPhone and iPad.
You don’t need any special knowledge or expertise to use this app, simply download it to your device, and the intuitive interface will guide you through the process of converting your files with incredible speed.
- Supports 180+ Formats: This program supports virtually all formats, which means you’ll be able to convert your videos into any format you need.
- Drag-and-Drop Functionality: Non-tech savvy users can effortlessly drag-and-drop the video files they want to convert into the program window.
- Add Subtitles: You can add subtitles to your video files before converting and sharing them at the click of a button.
Movavi Video Converter has licenses for both non-commercial (personal) and commercial (business) purposes.
You can sign up for a free trial on the website, after which you can choose the plan that suits your requirements.
Premium plans are as follows:
- Video Converter Premium – One-year subscription: $44.95/1 PC
- Includes all the programs features for one year
- Pay a yearly license and renew if satisfied
- Video Converter Premium – Lifetime: $54.95/1 PC
- Supports 180+ formats
- Profiles for 200+ devices
- Ultrafast conversion
- Instant file merging without quality loss
- Trim, rotate, and crop video
- Quality enhancement
- Automatic conversion
- Adding effects
- Online subtitle search
- Online user support
- Video Suite – Lifetime: $84.95 / 1 PC
All video apps in one pack, including:
- Video Editor Plus – $64.95
- Video Converter Premium – $54.95
- Screen Recorder – $52.95
- Split Movie – free!
- Media Player – free!
- DVD and Blu-ray Burner – free!
Superfast video conversion that doesn’t compromise on quality ($39.99/year).
Wondershare UniConverter is a one-stop video converter that lets you convert any type of media file.
This easy-to-use program will help you make your video content stand out by enhancing the quality and reducing space, allowing you to easily save or share your videos.
It’s one of the most efficient video converters with regard to output video quality and speed. Use its advanced editing features to customize your home videos or downloaded video files to get professional-grade work in just minutes.
You’ll also be able to compress your videos at the touch of a button to get the right size and quality for playback on mobile devices, or other purposes, such as sending emails, sharing on Facebook, YouTube, and other social networks, etc.
- Multiple Formats Supported: With Wondershare UniConverter, you can optimize and convert your video files into a wide range of video and audio formats, including MP4, MOV, 3GP, AVI, and MPEG.
- Batch Video Conversion: The program has a unique feature that lets you process multiple files at the same time.
- Convert Video to GIF: The software lets you convert any video file into GIF format with one click.
Wondershare UniConverter offers a free trial, but the trial doesn’t convert complete video. You won’t have full access to all the features in the demo, and if you want to unlock all of the software’s functionality, you must upgrade to one of the paid plans which are as follows:
- Annual Plan: $39.99/year
- Automatically renew or cancel anytime
- 1 year of UniConverter updates
- 1-year access to all basic features
- No watermark
- Free tech support
- Optional access to 6 add-on features for $5.99/month (includes the following tools for Windows: Smart Trim, Watermark Editor, Subtitle Editor, Auto Reframe, AI Portrait, and Intro & Outro)
- 2-Year Plan: $55.99/2-year
- Everything in the “Annual” plan +
- 2 years of Wondershare UniConverter updates
- 2 years access to all basic features
- Perpetual Plan: $79.99/One Time Fee
- Everything in the 2-year plan +
- Free forever to use Wondershare UniConverter
- UniConverter Plan: $119.99 One-time fee
- Includes everything in the “Perpetual” plan
- 1-year subscription for 6 add-on features
- 1-hour experience of Auto-Subtitle Generator
- 50 credits of Background Remover
The best tool for downloading videos from any site, in any format ($19.99 One-time fee).
ByClick Downloader is a powerful platform for downloading videos in a variety of formats from websites like YouTube, Facebook, DailyMotion, and over 40 others.
It’s free to use, although the free version has limited functionality. You can get the premium version for just $19.99 and you’ll be able to download video content in HD and 4K quality.
In addition to allowing you to back up your videos, the software also lets you track the download. With the help of this tool, you can download entire YouTube channels and playlists at the click of a button, and convert each of your videos into your desired format quickly and easily.
- Constant Updates: The service is always up-to-date, and the team works hard to release new versions every few weeks.
- Multiple Formats Supported: Convert your videos to MP3, MP4, AVI, FLV, 3GP, and WMV, among many others.
- One-Click Download: The program has a one-click download mode that lets you directly download videos from the web browser.
With ByClick Downloader, you can take all your favorite videos everywhere, starting right now by signing up for a free version of the software.
You can unlock more special features with the premium version.
Plans are as follows:
- Free Plan: $0/month
- Back up videos from any platform
- Convert videos to any format you want
- Choose any quality you want
- Premium Plan: $19.99/month
- Everything in the “Free” plan +
- Download playlist and channel with a click
- Convert to AVI, WMV, etc.
- Get an ad-free experience
- Download YouTube and Facebook private videos
- Download HD videos
- Download by video name
- Download subtitles
- Add ID3 tags for every MP3
- Cut downloaded MP3s to make ringtones
You can get 50% off by upgrading to 3 PCs.
Award-winning software to enjoy high-quality video conversions ($19.99 One-time fee).
DivX Converter offers a wide range of features for playing, creating, and casting your favorite videos.
The freemium software has three components that allow you to enjoy superfast video conversions (DivX Converter), high-quality video playback up to 4K (DivX Player), and cast media from your PC to your TV (DivX Media Server).
You can play video from the cloud by enabling the Cloud Connect feature, and you can use the advanced playback and audio features to quickly navigate to your favorite scenes or switch between soundtracks without interrupting playback.
In short, this program is so much more than just a video converter and will give you the best possible experience for less than half the cost of purchasing each of the different Pro features individually.
- Play Videos Anywhere: DivX Converter lets you convert videos to play anywhere and comes equipped with DivX profiles to create videos compatible with all devices.
- Free Version Available: Even with the free converter, you can convert videos to 4K resolution suitable for ultrahigh definition screens.
- DivX Accelerated: This technology offloads the heavy lifting of converting video from the software to the CPU so you can maximize quality or prioritize speed.
DivX Converter has a free version that you can use for as long as you want. However, it doesn’t give you access to all the software’s full features.
In order to get the most from the software, you must upgrade to a paid plan.
Plans are as follows:
- Free Plan: $0/month
- Play most popular video formats, including MKV, DivX, and HEVC up to 4K
- Stream videos to DLNA-compatible devices, including smart TVs, tablets, gaming consoles, Chromecast, etc.
- Create and play videos with multiple audio and subtitle tracks in different formats
- Convert popular video formats into MP4, HEVC, MKV, and DivX, including custom encoding settings for bitrate, resolution, and more.
- Pro Plan: $19.99 One-time fee
- Everything in the “Free” plan +
- Use the converter to crop video borders, set custom frame rates, and add custom logo overlays.
- Cloud Connect to import videos from Dropbox and Google Drive
- Ad-free experience in the video player, converter, and installer
- Video Pack for converting MPEG-2 and VC-1 video to DivX, MKV, and MP4
- AC3 Edition to add AC3 audio playback
- DFX Audio Enhancer to improve the sound quality of audio in DivX Player for Windows
- DTS-HD plugin to convert and play videos with DTS-HD audio
- Unlock custom encode settings, HEVC 10-bit playback, and more
A simple, yet powerful video converter that takes seconds to master ($29.95/year/PC).
WonderFox HD Video Converter Factory Pro focuses on not only converting videos, but also video encoding, editing, downloading, recording, and much more.
This all-in-one video processing software is designed for ease of use to make it easy for non-tech savvy users to create premium quality videos.
This program stands out from other HD video converters thanks to its exclusive video encoding technology which allows it to achieve higher quality output.
The software is equipped with HD video conversion technology and works particularly well on converting videos from SD (standard definition) to HD (high definition), including HD MP4, HD AVI, HD MKV, and much more.
- Simple and Seamless: If you value ease of use, then this is a good video converter for you. It has simple, yet powerful features and a highly intuitive interface, making it great for beginners.
- Advanced Features: In addition to basic features for beginners, this program also has built-in editing tools and advanced features for customizing the output.
- Ready-Made Device Profiles: There are pre-made profiles tailored to specific playback devices that beginners can select.
WonderFox offers a free download that lets you get started converting your videos right away without committing to a paid plan.
However, if you want to enjoy the top features of this program, you must upgrade to the paid version.
The software’s plans are as follows:
- Free Plan: $0/month
- Convert video to AVI, MP4, MKV, MP3, WAV, etc.
- Edit videos, trim and merge, add effects and filters.
- Download videos from YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, etc.
- 1-Year Subscription: $29.95/PC
- Everything in the “Free” plan +
- Convert SD video to HD video
- Picture enhancements
- Lightning mode
- Hardware acceleration
- Batch conversion
- Smart fit the output
- Dolby surround sound
- Lossless compression
- Lifetime License: $34/95/PC
- Everything in the “1-year” subscription +
- Lifetime license
- Family Pack (Lifetime): $59.95
- Everything in the “Lifetime” Licence +
- 3 PCs
Convert video files to over 500 formats at 70x faster speed ($66.75 Lifetime fee).
AnyMP4 Video Converter Ultimate is ideal for all types of users, including freelancers, commercial ad studios, and even home video editing.
You can use the basic version of the software for free, but if you want to unlock its full potential, you have to upgrade to one of the premium plans.
However, it’s important to note that even the unpaid version of the software is among the best free video converters you’ll find online. It supports conversion to over 100 video formats and saves your video files with 100% quality.
A unique feature of the software which sets it apart from the rest is the NVIDIA NVENC accelerated encoding that allows for faster processing.
The video conversion tool also has additional features that let you extract audios from videos and download videos from streaming sites like YouTube, Vimeo, etc.
- Built-in Media Player: You can edit, compress, and convert full HD videos and play them using the program’s built-in media player.
- Superfast Conversion: The program has a single-click solution to rip DVD into MPG at 10 times faster speed.
- Moviemaker Feature: With the software, you can use your photos, video clips, and audio to make professional-grade movies.
AnyMP4 Video Converter Ultimate offers a free download as well as a premium plan with all the features you need to download and convert videos to any format.
Plans are as follows:
- Free Plan: $0/month
- Convert 8K/5K/4K/1080p HD video to 500+ formats
- Convert homemade DVD disc/movie to popular video and audio formats (CD included)
- Copy DVD to ISO/folder in a one-to-one ratio
- Edit and compress full HD video
- Play video files on the built-in media player
- Make GIF video
- 1-year License: $41.25/PC
- Full access to all features without restrictions
- Use it for a year and renew it satisfied
- Lifetime License: $66.75 One-time fee
- Full access to all features without restrictions
- Free upgrades for a lifetime
A creative video editing tool packed with powerful features and premium effects ($39.99/month).
This popular video editing software will help you transform your video files into professional-grade movies and videos.
It’s a fun and easy video editor that lets you enhance, convert, and share videos with ease. You can also transform any image into an eye-catching animation in just 3 simple steps, before converting the file into any format you desire for viewing on any device.
- All-in-One Solution: VideoStudio has built-in tools and premium plugins to meet all your needs, including converting, recording, editing, enhancing, and exporting 360° videos.
- Supports Multiple Formats: There’s a wide range of different formats for input and output that you can work with when using VideoStudio.
- Easy to Use: The simple drag-and-drop editor makes it easy to edit and enhance your videos and add effects before converting them for use.
VideoStudio is so much more than just a video converter. The software has a ton of additional tools that you can use to get the exact results you want before hitting the “Convert” button.
The video converter has two premium plans that provide you with the best-in-class video editing software. They are as follows:
- VideoStudio Pro 2021: $39.99/One-time fee
- HD, 4K, 360 video editing
- Creative filters and effects
- Multicam editor
- DVD menu authoring
- AR stickers
- Instant project templates
- Smart video tools and slideshow maker
- Morph and seamless transitions
- VideoStudio Ultimate 2021: $49.99/One-time fee
- Everything in the “VideoStudio Pro” plan +
- 2,000+ creative filters and effects
- 6-camera multicam editor
- 100+ templates DVD menu authoring
- Enhanced video mask creator
- Color grading
- Premium effects
- 3D titles
- Split-screen template editor
9. NCH Prism
A comprehensive, reliable, and easy-to-use multi-format video converter ($29.99/month).
NCH Prism is a simple yet powerful tool for video conversion on Windows and Mac OS. It’s ideal for a wide range of users, including individuals, as well as small and medium-sized studios.
The app lets you quickly convert multiple videos to and from any popular video format so you can publish your converted videos directly to DVD. The software can also convert files to any formats that are compatible with iPhones, Android phones, Xbox, and PlayStation devices.
- Batch Conversion: NCH Prism lets you convert many videos at the same time with just the click of a button.
- Direct DVD Converter: After you’ve converted your videos, you can publish them to DVD at once.
- Advanced Editing Features: The premium plans come with powerful editing features that let you split, trim, add effects, and enhance your videos before conversion.
NCH Prism has a wide range of tools to choose from, including a video format converter, switch sound format converter, video capture, and editing software.
Pricing for the video converter software is as follows:
- Prism Video Format Converter: $39.95/One-time fee
- Unrestricted license including MPEG2 patent
- Prism Video Format Converter (Plus Edition): $29.99/One-time fee
- Unrestricted license including all the Plus formats excluding MPEG2
- Prism Video Format Converter (Quarterly Plan): $6.63/quarterly
- Unlimited ongoing use of all features and all upgrades in the “Plus” Edition
A professional and powerful video converter for all formats ($29.99/year).
iDealshare VideoGo is a professional video converter that is extremely easy to use. It’s perfect for beginners, but it also has advanced features (including video editing tools) that make it ideal for experienced users, as well.
You can convert all types of video and audio files to any format, SD or HD, with no loss of quality.
Convert video to audio, and vice versa, or music video to audio, and audio files to different audio formats. At the click of a button, you can convert video to streaming MP4, or MOV for upload to YouTube, Facebook, and other video sharing sites.
The software also lets you edit movie files (that is, trim, merge, crop, and split, etc.) before converting videos for successfully sharing and playing on all types of devices.
With this powerful tool, you’ll be able to convert your video files a lot faster and preserve the original quality.
- Fast Video Conversion: This professional video converter allows you to convert any video and audio formats quickly and easily.
- Preserve Video Quality: iDealshare VideoGo lets you preserve 100% original quality of all your video, audio, and image files during the conversion process.
- Convert to Any Format: Convert media files to successfully playback on any media player or portable device.
When you purchase iDealshare VideoGo for windows, your license code will be sent to you immediately via email.
You can either get a one-year subscription or a lifetime license.
Here’s what each entails:
- 1-Year Subscription: $29.99/year
- Use the product for one year and renew if satisfied
- Free technical support service
- Free updates
- 30-day unconditional money-back guarantee
- Lifetime License: $49.99/One-time fee
- Access to all features forever
- Lifetime technical support service
- Lifetime updates
- 30-day unconditional money-back guarantee
Converts video and movies into over 500+ formats and devices for free (Free).
Freemake Video Converter is a great option to consider if you want a free option for converting your video files.
It’s a really easy program to use and offers a ton of free training via documentation to help you get up and running using the software.
All you have to do to use it is to download the software, load up your video files, and then choose any of the dozens of output formats.
There are advanced options that allow you to combine files into one, and you can even burn your videos and movies directly to DVD. The tool also has features that allow you to add subtitles, edit video length, etc. from directly within the program, making this one of the best free video converter software options available right now.
- Multiple Formats Supported: Freemake Video Converter supports a wide range of input and output formats, including 3G2, 3GP, AVCHD, AVI, DV, HTML5, ISO, MKV, etc.
- Free to Use: You can convert all your files and use some of the more advanced features without having to commit to a paid plan.
- Burn to Disc: Freemake Video Converter lets you edit and enhance your videos, after which you can burn the video files directly to a DVD.
As the name suggests, you can download and use Freemake Video Converter without paying anything upfront.
So far, the software has been downloaded by over 103 million users.
Here are the features you get with each free download:
- All-in-one video conversion software
- Video converter for any gadget device
- Convert to over 500 formats
- Extract audio files
- Edit videos
- Rip and burn DVDs
- Make photo slideshows
… and much more.
A free video converter with a wide range of modern, widely supported codecs (Free).
Handbrake is an open-source tool for converting video from one format to another. It supports a wide range of codecs and the transcoder is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
It’s designed to make it easy for anyone to use the software to make videos for free, regardless of their video editing experience.
The conversion tool lets you convert videos from supported source formats to MKV, MP4, or WebM format. This free post-production tool doesn’t allow you to make changes to source video, however, and in order to do so, you’ll need to use another video editing tool.
With Handbrake, you’ll be able to take videos you’ve already made and transform them into new ones that play perfectly on your computer, web browser, TV media player, tablet, or mobile phone.
- Convert 4K and Full HD: Handbrake lets you convert full HD and 4K videos for free without compromising on quality.
- Free and Open-Source: The popular converter is free and open-source software, which means you don’t have to pay anything to start using it for your video conversion needs.
- Multiplatform Software: You can use this conversion tool on Windows, Linux, and Mac with great quality output every time.
You can enjoy all the top features of Handbrake by simply downloading the software.
It’s completely free to use, and immediately after downloading it, you’ll have access to all the software’s top features, which means you will be able to get started right away converting video from nearly any format to a wide range of commonly used codecs.
- WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe
- FonePaw Video Converter Ultimate
- Leawo Video Converter
- Aiseeesoft Video Converter Ultimate
- PowerDirector 365
- Gihosoft Free Video Converter
- DVD VideoSoft Free Video Converter
- AVS Video Converter
What is Video Converter Software?
Video converter software is a tool that you use when you can’t open a video in a certain format. The program performs the conversion into a different format while maintaining the quality of the video. You can also use this type of software for reducing the size of the video file so you can make it easier to store it, play it on mobile devices, or use it online or in emails.
With a video converter, you’ll be able to store clips in various file formats, including AVI, MP4, MOV, FLV, and many more.
The software supports a wide range of video streaming websites, including Facebook, YouTube, Vimeo, Wistia, and many others.
This type of video conversion program can help you with your business processes by allowing you to download, edit, enhance, play, and share video content in the proper format for each channel or website.
What Features to Look For in Video Converter Software
There are dozens of great tools and apps out there for converting videos, and the one you choose will depend on what your specific needs are.
However, there are a few important factors to consider when choosing the best video converter software to ensure that you get value for money.
Here are some of the most important features to look for:
- Ease-Of-Use: The whole point of getting a video converter tool is to make your life easier. So, make sure you choose one that doesn’t have a steep learning curve so you can start converting your videos right away.
- Format Options: Choose a video converter that has a large variety of format options to ensure that it supports the formats that you work with the most.
- Features: Depending on your needs, you might have a list of must-have features that your video converter software needs to have. Check the software creator’s website or sign up for a free trial to see if they offer your desired functionality before committing to a paid plan.
- Support: This is a crucial feature, particularly for beginner users. You need to be able to reach the customer support team any time you come across a problem or if you need questions answered while using the software.
- Pricing: Choose a video converter that provides you with all the features you need at an affordable price. Better yet, opt for one that offers either a free version or a free trial so you can test out the software to see if it’s a great fit before committing to a paid plan.
Video Converter Software Q&A
What is the best video converter for Mac?
Wondershare Video Converter is the best free video converter for Mac. The software converts video files to over 1,000 formats on Mac, including MOV, MP4, AVI, MKV, and many others.
What is the best free video converter?
The best free video converter is Freemake Video Converter. It’s easy to use and converts any type of file to a different format quickly and easily. You can even burn your videos directly to DVD with this free software.
What is the best video converter from HD to 4K?
VideoProc is the best video converter from HD to 4K. It’s one of the top options on our list and comes with features to upscale your video to 4K or downscale to 1080p.
What’s the difference between MP4 and MOV?
The difference between MP4 and MOV is that MOV files usually contain high bitrate video files that have little to no compression, whereas MP4 files contain highly compressed video files and also serve as file containers that are compatible across different platforms.
Video Converter Software Summary & Top Picks
We’ve discussed the top video converter tools in the market, all of which come with exceptional video converting, editing, and sharing features that can help your business grow.
Video converter software tools like the ones mentioned here are ideal for you if you often find yourself having to transform one type of video to use on another platform in a different format, and this list has provided you with ample options of conversion programs that support a wide range of formats and video streaming sites.
Here are my Top Picks:
- VideoProc: A powerful suite of tools for converting, editing, and enhancing your videos ($29.95 One-time fee).
- Movavi Video Converter: A powerful tool to convert videos with just one click ($44.95/year/PC).
- Wondershare UniConverter: Super fast video conversion that doesn’t compromise on quality ($39.99/year).
Whether you hope to achieve business objectives such as website building, rank tracking, or any others, I hope this guide has helped you discover the best video converter software to suit your needs.