In today’s content-saturated world, search engine optimization (SEO) has become more crucial than ever before.
To succeed in this arena, you need the best tools designed to supercharge your search engine rankings and help you outrank your competitors.
New trends are continually emerging, such as the rise in voice search and the AI (artificial intelligence) and machine-learning revolution – all of which are helping marketers up their SEO game and stay ahead of the pack.
With so many things to focus on, how do you know which SEO tools are right for your business? This article will help you answer that question.
What are the Best Paid SEO Tools?
This SEO audit tool has a go-to feature for getting more search traffic ($59/month).
Surfer SEO is a powerful agency rank tracker tool that is designed to help you take your content strategy to the next level.
With this platform, you have all the tools you need to outrank your competitors.
It’s ideal for copywriters, content strategists, freelancers, bloggers, and SEO agencies. It has features like keyword research, SERP analyzer, and SEO audit to help you enhance your content at every level.
- SEO Audit: Take over your niche with an SEO Audit report for SEO opportunities and quick wins.
- Keyword Research: Discover new keywords for a noticeable boost in traffic to your important pages.
- SERP Analyzer: The platform offers X-ray vision for the top-ranking pages in your SERPs.
Pros of SurferSEO
- Actionable audit to help you overtake SERP competitors
- One-click guidelines to optimize content
- Generate a customized content strategy for your domain
You can sign up for the “Basic” plan for $59/month and SurferSEO also offers a 7-day money-back guarantee.
2. SE Ranking
The ultimate set of SEO tools with a beginner-friendly interface. (Demo account available, plus a 2-week free trial, then from $39/month)
SE Ranking’s purpose is to make things easier and less complicated SEO-wise. Rarely can you find an all-in-one tool that shows so much information on one viewing screen, and it’s clear enough for even a beginner to understand.
Their tools help with keyword research, generating new ideas, monitoring query dynamics, spying on competitors’ SEO approaches, calculating your own website health, checking backlink profiles, finding websites to pitch your content to, etc. The list goes on and on.
SE Ranking also saves you time and effort by grouping keywords so that you don’t have to. Ah, and there is a Marketing and SEO plan feature, how about that?
Basically, with this set of tools you can optimize your website by yourself, without professional help. All the features are easy to understand and utilize.
- An impressive number of tools: everything to monitor and analyze your rankings, keywords, competitors, and backlinks.
- B2B features: Benefit from additional B2B features such as White Label, Lead Generator, SEO Reporting, and API.
- SMM software: Monitor your social media, schedule publications, and post on all channels without having to do it manually. There is even a free trial available!
SE Ranking has 3 customizable pricing plans:
1. Essential Plan: $39/month
- Great for one user
- All essential features are available
- Not for large agencies
2. Pro Plan: $89/month
- An unlimited number of projects
- Up to 3 users can benefit from the features
- A comprehensive audit capacity
3. Business Plan: $189/month
- All additional tools (API, White Label, etc.)
- Great for large businesses or SEO agencies
- An unlimited number of projects
- Hundreds of thousands of audits for your pages, and more.
Keep in mind that you can create your own customized plan by contacting the company. And, just in case, there’s a price calculator on the website for your convenience.
Multi-tool to help you get measurable results from online marketing ($119/month).
SEMRush is an awesome keyword research tool and site audit tool favored by a lot of individuals and teams.
It has features that make it easy to find the keywords that any page on the internet is ranking for.
The software also provides detailed information pertaining to keywords, such as their position in the SERPs, the pages to which they are driving traffic, and each keyword’s traffic trends in the past 12 months.
This is a feature-rich tool that will undoubtedly help you take your SEO strategy to the next level.
- Competitor Analysis: SEMRush has tools to help you analyze competitors’ metrics to better inform your own strategies.
- Robust Dashboard: The platform has a dashboard that is very informative yet simple to navigate.
- Comprehensive Tools: From keyword research to domain analytics, backlink tracking, and more – the software offers an impressive range of tools to boost your SEO.
Pros of SEMRush:
- Desktop/mobile search breakdowns
- Proactive SEO recommendations and keyword suggestions
- Uniquely useful project-based SEO campaign structures
SEM – offers a free 7-day trial where you get full access to all toolkits.
After that, you can upgrade to the “Pro” plan for $119.95/month.
Simple but powerful SEO tools created for an effective SEO workflow ($49/month).
Mangools is a set of tools that are designed for both beginners and experts alike.
The platform is easy to use and has basic and advanced features for keyword research, backlink analysis, competitor analysis, SERP analysis, and rank tracking.
The software is made up of the following tools or “apps”:
It’s ideal for individual bloggers, affiliate marketers, SEO agencies, and SMEs. If you don’t want to use the apps, you can simply use the Chrome or Firefox extension.
- See SERPs for Any Location: Dive into search results in SERP features, click-through rates, and 45 other SEO metrics for countries, cities, and DMA regions.
- Find the Best Keywords: Get valuable keywords with high search volume and achievable SEO difficulty.
- Track Your Rankings: Share interactive reports and stay notified about major bumps in traffic. Alternatively, you can schedule your own reports.
Pros of Mangools:
- Great user interface that is easy to use
- Check competitors website authority
- See link previous day directly to find powerful backlinks
Mangools offers a free 10-day trial with no credit card needed to register.
If you want to unlock more features, you can upgrade to the “Basic” plan for $49/month. Paid annually, you save up to 40% on each plan.
A full suite of SEO tools to run a technical audit of your site ($99/month).
Ahrefs provides all the tools required for you to grow your online presence.
The platform has 5 core elements and a central dashboard that affords you an overview of all the important information, including backlinking, traffic, research, projects ranking, etc.
The software’s features set it apart from its main competitors, and include a priority web crawler that is second only to Google in speed and size. This is its main differentiator. The backlink database that they have is massive and they’re able to give some interesting insights that some other tools cannot.
In short, this is one of the best options to help you understand and improve your domain’s online visibility.
- Web Link Index: Ahrefs has the fastest and largest commercial web link index.
- In-Depth Documentation: The website has free tutorials and a vast knowledge base, as well as a well-versed support team.
- Advanced Filtering Tools: Power users have access to a wide range of advanced filtering tools on the platform.
Pros of Ahrefs:
- Solid ad-hoc keyword research
- In-depth SERP analysis
- Exceptional internet-wide and site-specific crawling capability
Ahrefs plans start at $99/month. You can sign up for a trial for just $7/month to get access to all the features of the premium plans.
What are the Best Free SEO Tools?
A popular platform for complete web stats and search insights (Free).
Google Analytics is a powerful and free analytics tool that checks virtually every bit of traffic imaginable on your website.
With this software, you’ll know where visits are coming from, which pages are receiving the traffic, and much more.
Although it’s not purely for the purposes of SEO, this tool is still an invaluable resource and extremely helpful for tracking organic traffic.
It will provide you with detailed information about your website and how you can improve your content strategy.
And, although Google Analytics is a powerful tool on its own, when combined with Google Search Console, it becomes even more powerful.
A powerful tool for constant website analysis, alerts, and error reports (Free).
Google Search Console is yet another free service offered by the search giant.
It allows you to monitor, troubleshoot, and maintain your domain’s presence in Google search results.
With the two accounts linked, you get additional information such as the keywords that people use to find your website and your organic click-through rate (CTR), as well as a bunch of other cool stuff.
The data from GSC is rich with insights, including:
- Keyword and URL performance
- Mobile usability
- Indexation issues
- Sitemap status
…and much more!
Pros of Google Analytics:
- Ideal for beginners
- Free technical support
- Easy access to key metrics
Google Analytics is a freemium service, which means that anyone can use the service without having to pay a monthly charge.
However, if you want to unlock more advanced features so you can do a lot more with the service, there is a recurring fee.
Keyword research tool with everything you need to rank and bank ($900/year).
Keyword Shitter (yes, you read that correctly) is a superb keyword research tool (though keyword research services can help with this if need be) that is taking the market by storm.
Despite its silly name, this SEO tool does offer a wealth of helpful features that will allow you to boost your content rankings.
You can get keyword volume, competition data, cost-per-click, and a whole lot more.
This is a straightforward tool that works by mining information from Google Autocomplete in order to present you with over 30,000 keyword options in just half an hour.
There are no frills with this software. It won’t give you in-depth analysis, groupings, or trends – just a lot of immediate suggestions and very valuable keywords that you can use to optimize your content.
- Competitor Source Code: The tool shows you high-level keywords your competition is using to rank organically.
- Fast Keyword Research: The tool poops out a ton of the best and most lucrative keywords in just minutes.
- Free Backlink Explorer: The software gives you access to a free index of the common crawl and supports open data.
Pros of Keyword Sheeter:
- The platform has a very active community of users
- Get keyword volume, CPC, and competitor data
- Positive or negative filters for more usable data
Keyword Shitter offers a variety of packages, starting with the Keyword Shitter Silver for $900 per year.
You can also conduct a keyword search for free and then subscribe for $9 to save your list of keywords to email.
Keyword research tool with dozens of keyword ideas based on a single keyword (Free).
Answer the Public is a handy tool that offers valuable data about the questions most commonly asked by people online.
It’s ideal for use by content marketers who want to stay on top of trending topics and find interesting new ideas.
All you have to do is input a keyword, and the tool will display popular queries based on the keyword.
The software also generates a graphic like the one in the image below with the questions and phrases most commonly used when users search for that keyword.
- “Vs” Keywords: The platform has a section of the keyword search results dedicated to “versus”, “like”, and “with” keywords.
- Find Popular Topics: The tool provides you with insight into the concerns and desires of potential customers from a single keyword search.
- Create Better Content: This is a great research tool that can help you produce better content that your target audience is more likely to enjoy.
Pros of Answer the Public:
- Unlimited searches and unlimited users
- Easily compare data over time
- Priority customer support
Answer the Public continues to provide free searches every month, but these are limited based on the site’s traffic.
If you want unlimited searches with Pro features, you can upgrade to a premium plan for just $99/month.
Keyword research tool for discovering the relative search popularity of topics (Free).
Google Trends is a tool that shows you how popular search terms are over time.
It’s useful for uncovering a lot of things, such as seasonal variations in the popularity of a specific keyword term.
You can also compare multiple keywords in order to discover relative popularity.
The platform allows you to sort by category, country, type of search, etc. You can see related topics, popularity by region, newest, and most frequently searched-for terms.
This is an extremely useful tool, and it’s one that’s worth checking when you do your keyword research because the last thing you want is to optimize your content around a keyword that is losing popularity.
- Enhance Paid Search: Use Google Trends data to inform seasonal campaigns and help with cost planning and inventory stocking.
- SEO and Content Marketing: This free tool can help you learn about the type of information and answers that your potential customers are searching for.
- Inspire Your Ad Creative: Use Google Trends to find out what topics are currently trending so you can better inform your marketing campaigns.
Pros of Google Trends:
- Use the platform to find a skyrocketing new niche
- Use Google Trends Compare to monitor your competitors’ positions
- Get content ideas on current trends
Google Trends is free to use.
Keyword research tool for keyword suggestions and competition data (Starts from Free).
Ubersuggest is a popular keyword research tool that was created by internet marketing guru, Neil Patel.
Based on a keyword you provide, the tool scrapes data from the Google Keyword Planner.
The tool also displays handy data for any keyword you input, including the search volume, level of competition, and CPC.
You can easily filter out the keywords that you’re not interested in, and, with the recently updated version 3.0 of the software, you can now type in a URL to get domain metrics.
- “Comparisons” Feature: This shows you “X vs. Y” keywords to make it easier for you to make a comparison.
- Site Audit: In addition to keyword discovery, Ubersuggest also checks your website for SEO issues and offers instructions for fixing them.
- Daily Rank Tracking: Find out what changes occur daily in your rankings on desktop and mobile.
Pros of Ubersuggest:
- Easily find profitable keywords to rank for
- See what your competitors are ranking for
- Get in-depth backlink data for new opportunities
You can use Ubersuggest for free, and if you want to upgrade for more features, plans start at $29/month.
Right now, you can get a lifetime deal for 90% savings.
SmallSEOTools is a complete package of tools that supports website owners and SEO experts to manage websites without spending money on paid tools. If we just talk about its SEO tools, it has a tool for almost everything. Its plagiarism checker is second to none.
Usually, writers are confident in their work and don’t check for plagiarism after writing the content. However, this confidence harms the overall SEO efforts, and in worst cases, it could ban the website. Therefore, it is essential to check plagiarism in the content using this plagiarism tool.
Some writers prefer ordinary plagiarism checking tools. But not every tool and even big names are inconsistent in plagiarism detection. However, Plagiarism Checker developed by SmallSEOTools is 100% accurate in detecting plagiarism and helping writers know which parts of their content are already published over the internet with the exact words.
- Reliability: The most distinctive feature of this tool is reliability. It can quickly and efficiently detect plagiarism and make your content unique.
- Updated Database: The database of this tool is constantly maintained and updated, which allows it to locate resemblances with the content published even a few days ago.
- Grammar Checker: Besides checking plagiarism, a user can also find out grammatical-errors and remove them.
Pros of SmallSeoTools:
- Give a competitive advantage over other plagiarism detectors
- Suitable for all kinds of content, including ghostwriting, blog posts, copywriting etc.
- Saves your from multiple drawbacks of plagiarized content
The Plagiarism Checker of SmallSEOTools is free to use for a specific limit. However, users have to buy a subscription for deep scanning and checking more words. It has designed different kinds of pricing plans, including basic, classic and enterprise. The packages range from $9.80/month to $149.80/month.
What Types of SEO Tools Are There?
There are dozens of different SEO tools on the market. Each has its own set of features and functionalities, and the one you choose will depend on your specific needs.
Here are some of the most commonly used types of SEO tools:
- Technical SEO tools
- Keyword research tools
- On-page SEO tools
- Rank tracking tools
- Content research tools
- Content optimization tools
- Backlink analysis tools
- Video SEO tools
- Link building tools
- SEO analytics tools
- Local SEO tools
- Mobile SEO Tools
- Site speed tools
- All-in-One SEO tools
Of course, just because there are so many tools on offer, doesn’t mean you need to use them all.
Simply choose the ones you need to help you improve and optimize your website and content so you can achieve better rankings.
What Features to Look For in SEO Tools
As you’ve seen, there are many SEO tools, and for you to know which ones are right for your business, you need to understand the important features of each SEO tool.
Here are some of the top features to look for in the best SEO tools.
1. SEO Grade: It’s an SEO tool, so the list it should do is be able to show you at a glance where your SEO stands now. This is especially important in a beginner’s SEO tool.
2. Functionalities: What does the tool do? As your software should help to streamline your research process for trying to understand how visitors discover your website online, discovering lucrative keywords to target, analyzing your competitors, and finding ways to improve your rankings.
3. Technical SEO Crawler: This is a crucial feature to your website’s success. It allows Google to find, crawl, and index all your website content. The good news is, virtually all SEO tools currently on the market can detect the presence of a sitemap and robots.txt files.
However, the very best SEO tools go beyond that by crawling your website in much the same way Google does in order to find the same issues that the search giant looks for whenever it crawls your website, such as duplicate content, broken links, HTTP/HTTPS conflicts, etc.
4. Mobile Optimization: Mobile traffic accounts for more and more organic visitors, which is why Google now goes mobile-first when indexing pages. This means the SCO tool you choose should at least be able to determine the mobile-friendliness of a site and what changes must be implemented to improve it.
5. Keyword Ranking: This is the mean of SEO and beginners need a tool that will find, track, and compare keyword rankings. Your chosen keyword research tool should also include
- Search Volume
- Competitor Rankings
- On-page Auditing
- Backlink Analysis
Ideally, it should also have metrics like Domain Authority (DA), and Page Authority (PA).
6. User-Friendly Interface: As you well know, SEO can be quite complex and intimidating – particularly for those who are new to it. So, the tool you choose should be easy to figure out and provide you with a clear layout and logical navigation.
7. Pricing: How much does the tool cost? Depending on how many features on offer, you’ll find tools that cost anywhere from zero dollars to $500 or more per month. Make sure you choose a tool that fits your budget but also has all the features you need to take care of your search engine optimization needs.
How Can SEO Tools Help You?
Different SEO tools have different roles, and they can help your business in a variety of ways, including:
- Keyword Research
- Content Research
- Site speed
- Local SEO
- On-page SEO
- Technical SEO
- Mobile SEO
- YouTube SEO
- Rank Checking
- WordPress SEO
As you can see, there are a ton of ways these tools can be useful to you. But, it’s more important to understand how to choose the right tools for you so you can get the most out of them.
Getting SEO right has never been as easy as it is today.
But, winning at this game is only possible if you use the right tools.
Now that you’ve read through our list of the 10 best SEO tools, I hope you have a better idea of which one is ideal for your business.
Here’s a quick recap of what we discussed in this article:
My number one recommendation is the Mangools suite of tools.
This is a powerful tool that is designed to make SEO simple for both beginners and experts alike.
However, if you are looking for a free option, you can’t go wrong with Google Analytics and Google Search Console.
Used together, these tools provide amazing insights that will take your content marketing strategy to new heights.
Whether you choose a free or premium tool, make sure it has the right features to help you produce exceptional results from your search engine optimization efforts.