With the ever-growing number of website builders on the market right now, it can be challenging to find one with the right features to meet your needs. Weebly is a popular website builder with a range of exciting features suited to different types of creators.
Recently purchased by Square payment gateway, Weebly is a drag-and-drop-style website builder that lets you create the perfect website in just minutes. The platform seamlessly combines eCommerce, marketing, and a powerful website-building solution.
Every day, thousands of websites are created on the platform, and so far, over 50 million websites have been created using this popular software. Creative users can build their own website design starting from scratch or use one of the many pre-made templates. Read the rest of this Weebly review to discover more about this tool so you can get a better idea of what it can do for you.
If you’re looking for an easy-to-use but feature-rich website builder, then Weebly is for you. This website builder has everything you need to create your first website – for free! You’ll also get a free custom domain for your first website, so starting is simple and quick. However, if you’re looking for even more tools and capabilities, then you can purchase one of their advanced plans which are quite affordable as well. Overall, you can’t go wrong with Weebly.
Powerful But Easy to Use
Basic SEO Features
Yes - Up To 15% Off
Starts at $13/Month
Is Weebly Worth it?
Weebly is one of the longest-standing brands in the web development space. The platform simplifies the entire process of creating websites by providing a helpful drag-and-drop editor with an amazing range of built-in business tools.
Whether you want to create a simple blog or portfolio site or build a complex online store, Weebly will help you achieve your goals in the simplest and most effective way possible thanks to its focus on ease of use.
All features on the platform are built to ensure that even complete beginners have no issues when it comes to learning and mastering this system. You’ll find this to be a great piece of software to get started with.
Not only is it affordable, but it also comes with a broad set of built-in tools so you don’t have to look for third-party apps for running your business. This will save you tons of money down the line, which makes Weebly a great option for budget-conscious users.
Who is Weebly Good For?
This cloud website builder is committed to helping diverse user categories set up, publish, and run websites for both commercial and non-commercial use. You can start for free and upgrade at any time.
The website builder is good for all types of websites, including fashion boutiques, gift shops, toy stores, pet shops, nurseries, antique booksellers, outdoor outfitters, new age art galleries, music shops, wine merchants, memorabilia vendors, vintage records, and any other type of business you can think of.
Here’s a quick look at the types of creators who can benefit from this site builder:
- Beginners: If you’re new to website building, you’ll love this platform. Simply answer a few questions and you’ll be presented with the right layout complete with beautiful images and pre-made content.
- eCommerce Sellers: Since the platform joined forces with Square payment gateway, it has become heavily focused on delivering the best features for selling online, making it perfect for eCommerce businesses of all sizes.
- Bloggers: Get your website ranking at the top of the search engines with infusions of relevant content and web-optimized pages using current SEO best practices.
- Agencies: Sign up for the Agency plan to get everything you need to build beautiful websites and boost online visibility and authority for your clients.
- Freelancers: Use SEO-friendly content and suggestions for each blog article to improve your customers’ experience online.
- Affiliate Marketers: You can expand your reach and get more leads to your website thanks to built-in marketing tools that are perfect for affiliates.
1. Ease of Use
Weebly is extremely easy to use. The platform’s AI-powered builder will instantly create the perfect design for your new website.
You can then review it and customize it to make it your own. Keep what works and change what doesn’t work. Add a few final finishes to make your website truly unique. You can even return and edit pages later if you feel that your vision hasn’t been fully realized.
The software ensures a flexible and intuitive website design process for every type of project you can imagine. It offers a distinctive set of features and robust customization options to help you create the perfect website.
And thanks to the mobile responsive nature of all the templates, you can be sure your site will look great on all devices.
This system works great for both newbies and web design professionals. You’ll be able to launch a high-quality website with no coding involved.
To get started, simply head over to the website and sign up using your email.
The setup process is very easy. All you have to do is follow the prompts and in just a few clicks, you’ll have a website created, ready for you to start editing and customizing it to make it align with your needs.
Building the website is also simple. Just choose from various elements such as text, images, buttons, and forms. Drag and drop these onto a page and click to change colors, fonts, and styles.
The elements snap into place, arranging themselves perfectly on the page so you don’t have to worry about ending up with overlapping elements.
In the same vein, managing your website is also a breeze. Just log onto your dashboard to choose the relevant features from marketing, SEO, eCommerce, email, and more.
Once you’re signed up, you’ll receive step-by-step guidance on ways to build and launch a successful website. You’ll also get built-in SEO and marketing tools to help you get discovered easily.
Add an online store to your website and get access to all-in-one powerful eCommerce tools that let you sell, and manage orders, shipping, payments, and more from your dashboard.
You can also integrate tools like Google Analytics, Facebook Ads, and email tools to create automated campaigns to get you more customers.
2. Templates and Customization
When you sign-up on Weebly, you get access to hundreds of responsive, fully-customizable, webpage designs, as well as useful tools for building your brand and growing your ideal business.
All Weebly websites look great on any device. They are super fast to get you visible on Google, and the platform makes it easy for you to update and expand – even if you have zero technical knowledge.
With templates like those shown in the image below, you’re sure to get pixel-perfect results.
All designs are mobile-friendly. After all, the website you create may look great on a desktop, but what about tablets and smartphones?
You want to ensure that your site looks great on devices of all sizes. That’s why Weebly provides you with mobile-friendly templates that automatically adjust to different screen sizes.
This way, you have the peace of mind of knowing your website is accessible on all screens and that you are providing a positive browsing experience for all users.
It’s clear to see that Weebly makes it easy for you to build a professional website to get your business, products, or services discovered online and grow your customer base.
In just minutes, you can get going, get online, get selling, and get growing with the following types of websites:
- Business Website: Get all the tools necessary for marketing, including email marketing, social media, pop-ups, and a broad plugin library.
- Online Store: Weebly provides a quick setup of your online store with all the core features. The platform also makes it easy to manage your shop from your dashboard.
- Blog: Set up a simple blog with a few clicks and have your first post published in minutes.
- Portfolio: Build a beautiful portfolio website and easily add your work to the site using the simple drag-and-drop editor.
- Personal Website: Weebly has a lot to offer in terms of creating personal projects. You’ll find a lot of clean, simple, and stylish templates that are easy to customize to suit your needs.
All of Weebly’s themes are modern and pleasing to look at. In addition to the platform’s range of free original templates, you also have the option of integrating third-party options that cost between $5 and $80.
However, having seen the diverse selection of bold and beautiful templates offered by Weebly, I have no doubt that you will be able to find one that you can customize to suit your business.
Note: Unlike a lot of other website builders, Weebly allows you to easily change the template during the editing process without losing any of your website content. This is a great feature that many beginners will appreciate as they try out different designs to find the best fit.
3. SEO Settings
Weebly provides you with simple SEO tools to help you optimize your website for search engines.
Getting started with Weebly SEO is easy, and in minutes, you’ll be able to start fixing on-page SEO issues and get informative step-by-step SEO guides. If you follow the suggestions provided on each page, you’ll see an improvement in your Google rankings before long.
The platform automatically generates comprehensive reports to keep you up-to-date on all things SEO.
You can modify lots of SEO settings, including the following:
- Customize URL, title tags, and meta-descriptions along with alt text for images so you can rank your content more easily.
- Control your 301 redirects to avoid broken links whenever page URLs are changed. This is important to do because Google doesn’t like 404 pages.
- Use Weebly’s built-in image optimization features to compress the images you upload to your site so you can maintain a fast website loading speed – another boon for SEO.
On Weebly’s website, there’s an easy-to-use SEO checker tool that will show you the types of optimizations you need to make so your new website can be more visible on major search engines.
Simply enter your website URL to get a free website analysis for your business. Your report will include things such as:
- Search ranking
- Device performance
- Website security
Alternatively, you can get the platform’s experts to create an SEO strategy that will boost your search engine rankings and help you get found by your target audience online. With expert help, you can start right away to build online visibility for your most important keywords to start driving targeted traffic to your website.
4. Online Selling with Weebly eCommerce
If you want to sell online, this platform has you covered. With Weebly + Square, you have all the tools you need to create a fully functional online store in minutes.
Choose from a variety of templates and tweak the settings to automate the creation of your item catalog so you can quickly launch your new store.
Whether you sell custom clothing, pet-sitting services, songs, or art, you’ll find tools here to power your business.
For example, you can:
- Sell to customers anywhere in the world
- Accept credit card payments
- Manage orders (online and in-store, from mobile and social, showroom to stockroom)
- Handle sales tax
- Take care of inventory and order fulfillment
- Add product categories
- Handle shipping
… and more.
Staff management, customer data, multi-location, and more – the list goes on. You can sync all aspects of your business.
Best of all, the platform offers many ways to pay so you never have to lose out on business.
You can even take orders on social media by integrating your website with Facebook Shops, Shopping on Instagram, Google Product Listings, etc.
This way, you can reach more customers and they can shop from wherever they are online. That’s more exposure and more sales for you!
The Square product suite means you never have to worry about missing a sale. You can let customers pay how they want to, and the platform does the heavy lifting with regard to all payment-related tasks so you can focus more on growing your business.
These features will help to make all eCommerce aspects easier for your customers, and for you.
You can launch a mobile-ready website in minutes, and the seamless integration of Square Online and Square POS means that you can efficiently manage all your online and in-store sales from one unified system.
Here are some additional eCommerce features you’ll enjoy on Weebly:
- Personalize and Drive More Sales: Allow customers to create accounts to easily track their orders, save payment info, and more. Show personalized recommendations to returning customers to encourage purchases.
- Offer an App-Like Shopping Experience: Visitors can quickly access your store from their mobile devices, just like an app. This type of mobile-first design simplifies scrolling, shopping, and paying on a phone browser.
- Plan Sales Events in Advance: Weebly lets you schedule discounts, product drops, and flash sales that launch automatically. You can add banners, pop-up alerts, etc. to build excitement and hype as the drop date approaches.
- Point Buyers to Specific Products: You can highlight new products, sale items, and top sellers using special components designed to drive shoppers to the particular inventory you’re trying to move.
- Shipping: Offer best-in-class shipping discounts to your customers. Create shipping labels and print them right from your Square dashboard. There’s also a real-time shipping rate calculator to ensure that you always charge the right amount.
5. Email Marketing and Popups
You can create a professional G Suite email address directly on your dashboard. You can use this email for professional marketing which means you don’t have to pay extra for third-party email marketing tools.
On the platform, you’ll find a lot of great email marketing features to help make your work easier. For example, in the email section, you’ll discover a lot of quick ideas to send out messages, such as adding coupons to your store, listing items on sale, and so on.
Weebly will automatically create relevant emails to be sent to your audience. You can tweak the email settings according to your needs to help ensure the success of your campaigns.
On the highest-priced plan, you can send abandoned cart emails. This is a great feature for all eCommerce store owners because it can help you recover a lot of lost revenue from customers who leave before completing their purchase.
You can also add pop-up notifications to your website and use them as an effective way to collect emails and offer coupons to your visitors.
6. Website Security and Performance
As a website owner, it’s up to you to protect your customers and your business. Your main priority should be to ensure that all data is kept safe from security threats.
Also, Google and other search engines prioritize secure websites over non-secure ones in the search results. For this reason, Weebly provides you with a free SSL certificate for your website. This ensures that the data is safe and secure at all times.
Also, it’s compliant with GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) as well as PCI DSS (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard).
Additionally, you get automatic backups to ensure that your website data is safe in case of a breach or catastrophic failure.
With regard to website performance, Weebly is one of the fastest-loading website builders out there. The company provides fast, reliable hosting for all websites built on the platform.
All websites are optimized for fast load speeds and Weebly handles security against spam and hackers. If you are on the Performance plan, you even get an SSL certificate installed and maintained for you.
7. Blogging Capabilities
If organic search is a foundational part of your business, then you will appreciate the built-in SEO tools on Weebly.
One such tool allows you to conduct technical audits to check the state of your website. And, as you add new content, you’ll get suggestions on how to improve your on-page and off-page SEO.
Below are some of Weebly’s awesome blogging tools:
- Blog-specific themes
- Scheduled sharing across Twitter and Facebook
- Built-in RSS and social sharing features
- Media integrations in both the app store and blog dashboard
- Advanced comment management
- Tag, category, and sidebar customizations
…and much more.
8. Membership Sites
On the Pro and Performance plans, you can get membership features that let you restrict some pages of your website to registered members only. Choose whether you want to restrict them to individuals or groups of members. Either way, this membership solution is a handy feature that will provide you with additional means of monetizing your website content.
Just keep in mind that if you have an online shop, you will not be able to activate both the members’ area and the customer accounts features at the same time. This means you have to choose one or the other – a distinct disadvantage of this software.
9. Website Analytics and Reporting
From the overview section of your Weebly account, you’ll be able to look at some charts with actionable data about your website. Even the low-tier plans provide you with some basic stats on unique visits, page views, and sales.
You can get more insights by upgrading to one of the higher-priced plans. You’ll then be able to view more in-depth charts under the reports section.
- Summary: Website traffic, sales, marketing statistics, and more.
- Site Activity: The most popular or active pages on your site.
- Site Traffic: This shows your top pages, keywords, and backlinks.
- Sources: Shows where visitors originate, e.g. search engines, keywords, and backlinks.
- Site Items: Which products are selling, and which variants are most popular.
- Coupons: This shows you the sales you make from coupons used by customers.
- Online Sales: Includes daily/weekly sales data and reports of units sold, orders, average order amount, etc.
- Abandoned Cart: These stats show you the items that are most often left behind.
These are all helpful insights that can assist you in making better business decisions, particularly if you are an eCommerce seller.
If you require more in-depth traffic reports, Weebly makes it easy to integrate Google Analytics. It’s highly recommended that you integrate this app, even if you only use your website as a way to create an online presence for your business.
Google Analytics and Google Search Console are free tools that provide you with a wealth of information to help you improve your online presence.
10. Weebly Mobile App
If running your business is a full-time job, then you will appreciate this mobile app that allows you to access your website on any device. This means you’ll be able to edit your website, manage products, and view the overall performance of your projects from anywhere.
You can even view your website analytics to see how many users visited your site. Edit pages right on your phone, add new items to your store, and more. This modern and powerful app is undoubtedly one of Weebly’s best features, and it’s one that you won’t find on a lot of website builders in the same category.
Best of all, this versatile tool is extremely easy to use for both basic website design and business management options.
11. Hire an Expert
Weebly gives you the option to hire an expert to build your website. There are flexible and affordable custom site design services, all of which are backed by the platform’s team of experts who are ready to support every one of your business needs.
For a reasonable fee, a team of experienced professionals will build your website, establish your presence, and then train you on how to maintain and grow your digital presence.
12. Additional Features
In addition to the tools listed above, Weebly has even more DIY marketing essentials to help you get found online. Once you sign-up, you’ll get access to easy online marketing solutions to help you boost your website’s visibility.
These include tools such as:
- Business Directory: Weebly helps you keep your information up-to-date in the top online directories where users search for businesses/products like yours. You’ll be able to claim your business listings, improve your online credibility, and keep track of what your customers are saying.
- PPC (Pay per Click) Advertising: PPC experts on Weebly will create targeted ads using relevant keywords people are searching for online. You can work with a Google Ads-Certified Expert to create a plan for getting more website visits.
- Quick Migrations: If you are already using a different platform for your online store, you’ll be able to quickly and easily migrate to Weebly. You can either add your items manually, switch from a different platform, such as Etsy or Shopify, or upload anything you want via a CSV file.
- Custom Code: Weebly allows you to do a lot of things that other website builders simply do not, such as adding a custom header and footer code. You can also add HTML on every page. These exciting features give you even more design flexibility to create a pixel-perfect website.
- Contact Forms: Create detailed contact pages for your website. Features include a contact form, Google Maps integration, and more – all of which you can add with a single click and customize to meet your specific needs.
- Password Protection and Member Areas: On the Professional plan, you can protect your website (either selected pages or the entire site). There is also a membership area that allows you to share specific content only with website members.
It’s beyond the scope of this Weebly review to explore all of the platform’s features. For example, we haven’t even touched on the built-in image editor, custom fonts, video backgrounds, social media marketing, newsletters, and parallax/reveal animation effects.
Suffice it to say that this is a powerful website builder with A TON of amazing features that you will absolutely love when building your new website.
Weebly Pros and Cons
Every piece of software has its own unique set of pros and cons. Below, we look at some of Weebly’s benefits and drawbacks so you can have a better idea of what this platform can and cannot do for you.
- Intuitive Platform: One of the biggest selling points of the software is its ease of use. There is no need for technical knowledge or coding skills.
- Huge App Center: Weebly has a big App Center that comes with a lot of really good options to expand the functionality of your website.
- SEO Analysis: SEO analysis is easy with Weebly’s in-house features. You’ll be able to ensure your website performs at its best based on a variety of factors that are easy to evaluate.
- Custom Website Design: Weebly offers expert web design services if you’d rather have a professional build your website for you.
- Team Management: If you work with a team, the platform makes it easy for you to collaborate on any of your website projects.
- Limited Design Possibilities: Oftentimes, projects developed with Weebly look very similar to each other. The platform stands to benefit a lot from expanding its design parameters.
- Basic SEO Features: Some of the SEO settings on the website are mediocre compared to other website builders like Wix and Squarespace.
- Recurrent User Complaints: During my research, I found quite a few user complaints regarding the company’s billing policy and cancellation process.
- Costly Features: Some of the platform’s most amazing features, such as abandoned cart emails and advanced eCommerce insights are buried beneath a massive paywall.
- Not Easily Scalable: Scaling a business website on Weebly could prove to be a challenge since there isn’t ample product support, mobile optimization, and ongoing product development.
Weebly is well known for its simplicity and ease of use. However, if the software isn’t what you’re looking for, you may be searching for an alternative.
Listed below are three of the platform’s top competitors offering a lot of similar features and a few unique ones that you may find appealing. Take a look.
Weebly vs Wix
Compared to a website builder like Wix, Weebly’s features seem a bit lacking. However, the platform is designed more for beginners and non-tech savvy people while Wix is a multi-purpose website builder that provides more advanced features that help you build more robust eCommerce sites.
It’s important to note that these features come at an additional cost, and they come with a longer learning curve.
Having said that, Wix is the best Weebly alternative solution for advanced users who want more powerful eCommerce, SEO, and marketing features for growing businesses.
Weebly vs WordPress
This is yet another great website builder with a ton of amazing business tools built into the platform. With WordPress, you’ll have much deeper customization capability, but this comes at the price of a steeper learning curve.
This all-inclusive website builder comes with a lot of built-in tools as well as thousands of plugins to expand your website’s features. If you want a versatile, customizable option for building your website, then WordPress is a great option to consider.
However, for anyone who wants to get their website online fast, and with as little technical hassle as possible, then Weebly is the better choice.
Also, since Weebly is a hosted platform, it means that you don’t have to worry about the installation or configuration of WordPress. Just sign up for an account and get started building your website using the platform’s simple drag-and-drop editor.
Weebly vs Shopify
Overall, Weebly nails the requirements for what a website builder should be. It comes with a user-friendly page builder and built-in business tools so you don’t have to integrate third-party apps to manage and promote your business. There’s no denying that it’s an excellent choice for beginners and experienced users alike.
However, if you want powerful eCommerce tools, Shopify may be a good alternative to choose. Sure, Weebly has great eCommerce features, but Shopify is the leader in this space. So, depending on your needs, you may find it to be the more prudent choice.
Like Weebly, Shopify offers powerful built-in marketing and top-class business management features wrapped up in a simple and intuitive interface for a smooth site-building experience.
Weebly allows you to start for free and upgrade at any time. The free version of the software includes every feature you need to start selling online – as long as you don’t mind your website on a subdomain (e.g. yourwebsite.weebly.com).
All premium plans come with a variety of features, including a free custom domain ($19.95 value). These also allow you to unlock advanced features for growing your business.
Here’s a closer look at the platform’s pricing structure:
- Free Plan: $0/month: This plan is perfect for basic use. It comes with free SSL security and the ability to add third-party embed code. Additionally, you get unlimited items, a shopping cart, inventory management, automatic text calculation, coupons, and gift cards. There are also built-in marketing tools, including an Instagram feed, lead capture, and SEO features.
- Personal Plan: $10/month: This plan comes with all the basic features, and includes the ability to connect to a custom domain. You can also sell digital goods and use the built-in shipping calculator and pop-up notifications feature.
- Professional Plan: $12/month: Includes everything in the “Personal” plan as well as unlimited storage, advanced website statistics, a free domain, and password protection. Users on this plan also get phone support.
- Performance Plan: $26/month:
- Drive growth and streamline operations
- Everything in the “Professional” plan +
- Item reviews
- Abandoned cart emails
- Advanced eCommerce insights
- Priority support
All plans shown here reflect annual pricing. Month-to-month pricing is offered at a higher price. There’s also a 3% transaction fee charged for all plans below the “Performance” plan (which is where it’s at for serious eCommerce sellers.
Weebly staff is always available to guide you through all the common hurdles whenever you need them.
The platform provides support in a variety of ways, including:
- Email: Get help from the customer success team whenever you require it. They pride themselves on being able to reply to emails in record time.
- Live Chat: If you want more immediate answers, simply click the chat button on the website and talk to a representative in real-time.
- Phone: Those on the higher-tier plans can get support via phone.
- Knowledge Base: Get all the answers you need pertaining to your website’s account, building tools, eCommerce, domains, email, and more.
- Community Forum: You can join the Square forum to connect and collaborate with other Weebly users. You can also join in-person events where you can interact with like-minded entrepreneurs to learn, share, and connect.
- Weebly Blog: Visit the Weebly blog for expert tips on how to improve your website or store.
Important Note: Support isn’t available around-the-clock. It’s limited to the hours between 6 AM and 6 PM Pacific Standard Time.
For the best experience, you must log into your Weebly account. Those on the free accounts can get email support, while those on the premium accounts can choose between email, chat, and phone support. However, even non-customers can still get assistance from the platform’s ever-helpful support team.
Weebly comes with a set of built-in features to provide you with all the basics, such as blog functionality, marketing, contact forms, etc. The platform also allows you to add more features using third-party extensions. There are over 375 apps to choose from on Weebly’s App Center.
Some of the Weebly integrations include apps to:
- Boost Traffic: Improve your search ranking for more visitors with these apps:
- Promote Forms
- Google Ads
- Site Booster
- Welcome Bar
- Spike Sales: Set up sales channels and manage campaigns easily.
- Sales Pop
- Store Metrics
- Testimonial Builder
- Promo Bar
- Get Social: Become a social media machine with the following apps:
- Social Sharing
- Social Media Stream
- Comments Plus
- Instagram Feed
Is Weebly Legit?
There you have it. Everything you need to know about Weebly website builder. There’s no denying that this platform is one of the best website builders out there, particularly for beginners.
It provides you with all the tools you need to build, launch, manage, and promote your website. Weebly also gives you all the information you need along your journey, from tech hurdles to business growth tips, and everything in between.
No specialized technical knowledge is required to build an awesome-looking website, and once the site is published, the platform provides you with all the tools you need to grow your online business or presence. From website traffic and visitor engagement to analytics, SEO, and more – everything you need is at your disposal once you log into your dashboard.
If you’re a new user, you can begin with Weebly’s free website builder and then lean on the customer service team along the way to help you grow your business anytime, anywhere.
You can either access hundreds of articles on the website, work with a specialist, or talk to an expert on the site. Either way, you’ll be able to build your website, blog, or online store with as little hassle as possible.
Are you ready to get started with this free website builder where simplicity meets eCommerce? If so, sign up for a free account to start creating your website right now.