A lot of website builders claim to offer full customization options. However, Webflow is one of the few site builders that has actually made good on its promise.
The platform comes with a wide range of tools that allow for deep customization so you can create a pixel-perfect website. If you are a creative perfectionist or someone who’s really detail-oriented, then you’ll love the level of control that this platform provides.
You’ll have the power to not only build a beautiful website but also optimize it for growth and have the tools on hand to easily scale your business.
Continue reading this Webflow review to learn more about what it can and cannot do to help you make a more informed decision about whether or not this is the right website builder for you.
If you’ve been looking for a powerful website builder to create the website of your dreams – then Webflow might be the ideal choice for you. This website builder comes equipped with a wide range of tools, including built-in SEO control, free SSL and DDoS protection, various eCommerce features, and more. The editor is easy to use and utilizes efficient cross-functional collaboration which gives users plenty of control over what they want to achieve.
Built-In SEO Tools
Steep Learning Curve
Yes - Up to 22% Off
Starts at $18/Month
Is Webflow Worth it?
If you want to build a website quickly without having to worry about learning code, then Webflow is a great option for you to consider. The website builder is highly customizable and there’s no need for technical nitty gritty.
While geared for web designers, Webflow is also great for editors, marketers, content strategists, developers, and teams.
Some of the standout features include parallax scrolling, animations, and micro-interactions – all of which can be done without having to learn code. You can build any type of website, from a simple portfolio or blog to a complex online store.
The platform also makes it easy for you to create content and optimize for higher rankings in search engines by fine-tuning SEO settings and markup. You also have the option of hiring a Webflow-endorsed expert to help you with your next project. You can browse experts based on your needs to find the right professional to partner with.
The best part about using Webflow is that the website builder is free until you’re ready to launch, which makes it the perfect choice for beginners who want to learn the ropes first. You can take as long as you need to get your site just right and upgrade when you’re ready to go live.
Sidenote: If you do use Webflow I’d be grateful if you supported me by clicking on this link to join
Who is Webflow Good For?
Webflow is good for anyone who wants more control over their website’s design. The site builder offers sophisticated customization features that allow you to create the exact look and functionality you want for your website without having to touch a line of code.
The beautiful thing about the software is that its flexibility gives anyone the freedom to create any type of website, including:
- Event site
- Business site
- eCommerce store
- Landing page
Here are some examples of use cases to help you discover what Webflow can do:
- Editors: Optimize your website on the fly, launch new campaigns faster, and connect your site to your key marketing tools.
- Designers: Solo designers, agency teams, and everyone in between can have the control they need to create any type of project.
- Marketers: Launch your campaigns faster and supercharge your content marketing with built-in tools that simplify website publishing.
- Developers: Webflow writes semantic standards-compliant code for you, allowing you to push projects further by integrating custom code or using the platform’s CMS API.
- Teams: Collaborate on content. Publish, update, and edit content easily in the intuitive editor.
- eCommerce Brands: Webflow supports eCommerce brands by providing advanced design capabilities, as well as competitive perks (e.g. no transaction fees).
1. Ease of Use
Webflow is marketed as the holy grail when it comes to ease of use and customizability. Whether you’re building a new website, doing an update, or overhaul, you’ll appreciate the range of simple and intuitive tools on the platform.
There’s a drag and drop editor that lets you build beautiful pages even with no prior experience. You can use pre-made templates and customize them to suit your needs.
Getting started is easy:
Step #1: Sign Up on the Website. Click “Get Started” on the Webflow homepage and fill in your email address.
Alternatively, you can sign in with Google or login with SSO.
Step #2: Add Details About Your New Website. After signing up, you’ll be prompted to choose what option best describes your role so the platform can help you get started based on your responses.
- Web Designer
- Product Designer
Next, you’ll be prompted to state who you will be building websites for, whether it’s for yourself, your business, the company you work for, or for clients (either as a freelancer or part of an agency).
As part of the setup, you’ll also be required to state what type of website you want to build, as shown below:
When all this is done, Webflow will then create some basic layouts for your website so you can hit the ground running.
With the basic layouts in place, you can now begin to add and/or change different elements to make your website look and feel the way you want.
You can build any type of website you want.
- Business Website: Webflow is customizable, powerful, fast, and very capable for various business needs. The software is well-suited to establish both simple informational business sites and complex conversion-driving landing pages.
- eCommerce Website: Webflow has an in-house platform that makes product and inventory management easy. The built-in eCommerce tools are easy to use and functional.
- Portfolio Website: The site builder offers fully customizable design for both visual and text-based portfolios, perfect for those working in a creative field.
- Blog: The platform has a powerful and highly customizable blogging tool that is easy to use and fits the needs of growing blogs.
Overall, this is a great website builder with a range of powerful, yet easy to use features, including the ability to design and create animations and interactions.
With these and other interactive elements like images and text that glide across the page, you’ll have the ability to create a dynamic web browsing experience that your visitors will love.
2. Powerful Editor
Webflow simplifies website content management thanks to its powerful editor. Managing your website’s content will be a breeze. There are no complex dashboards or disconnected backend to confuse you – just you, your new site, and the content you want to add.
You can write and edit right on your site, making it easy to update your website or blog on the go. No need to navigate a messy backend content management system. When you’re happy with the changes to your content, you can publish to the website in one click.
Now you can create and publish new content in minutes because adding new content is as easy as filling out a simple form. And, as you write new content right on the page, you can see exactly how it will look once it’s live.
3. Beautiful Templates
Webflow has a range of stunning website templates so you don’t have to start building your site from scratch.
Whether you want to build a blog, eCommerce store, or business website, Webflow provides you with hundreds of relevant templates to get you off to a good start.
All templates can be customized to suit your specifications, and they are mobile-responsive to ensure your website looks great on all devices.
4. Powerful CMS
Webflow has a Content Management System that works for everyone.
- Designers: Design your pages visually around real content without having to rely on developers.
- Editors: Write, edit, and update content directly on the page, and then publish with a click.
- Developers: Add, delete, update, or publish content right from your terminal using the platform’s REST API.
- Content Strategists: Easily create custom content structures to meet the unique requirements of your strategy.
Content-Driven Designs: Webflow allows you to design your site around any type of content you need. You have all the tools at your disposal to craft unique content, including basic and advanced content management tools that are ideal for designers, editors and developers.
With this platform, you’ll be able to create the content structures you need in just a few clicks. Add content either by hand or from a CSV, and then design it visually. There’s no database management or messy code work required.
5. Marketing and SEO
In terms of marketing and SEO, Webflow provides you with both the tools and flexibility you need to build and promote a great website.
A few things that you can do include:
- Add and edit schema markup: Webflow makes it easy to add schema markup so search engines can easily understand your content.
- Indexing and sitemap controls: Edit and update page titles, descriptions, etc., and publish changes with one click.
- Meta titles and meta descriptions: These can be automatically defined using fields in your CMS Collections to automate your SEO.
- Robust 301 redirects management: You can migrate and update your website URLs by quickly creating 301 redirects. Manage them all without engineering help.
- Simple image alt tag editing: This feature ensures that your images are screen reader-accessible and that your image metadata is indexed by Google.
- Google Analytics integration: Connect Google Analytics for more indepth visitor statistics
- Custom SEO settings: Webflow allows you to set custom SEO settings on each page, product, and category
- Marketing Tools: You also have the option to integrate a variety of marketing apps and tools, including Google Optimize, Facebook Pixel, and Google Maps
- Forms: Create and manage forms, build mailing lists for your email campaigns, and more.
These tools cover the basics required for all businesses. There are integrations you can add to connect even more tools to up your marketing and SEO game, but it’s clear to see that Webflow already does most of the work.
You get advanced SEO control that lets you edit titles and meta descriptions, change URLs, create 301 redirects, edit your robots.txt file, generate sitemaps automatically and much more – and the best part? All of this can be done without the need for engineers.
6. Custom eCommerce Stores
Webflow allows you to build an online store that sets you apart from other brands.
While other competitors such as WooCommerce and Shopify exist, Webflow stands out by allowing you to have complete design over your website. This includes the checkout and means that you can make design-driven changes to increase conversions and create a seamless user experience.
There’s also a range of impressive features regarding payments. For example, eCommerce companies can accept payments from all major credit cards, debit cards, PayPal, Apple Pay, and more.
Sales tax is calculated automatically using TaxJar’s API which saves you from having to crunch the numbers yourself.
On the marketing side, the platform allows you to have complete control over the design and customization of your order notification emails, receipts, etc. so you can ensure that all your materials match your eCommerce brand.
Connect your Google, Instagram, and Facebook to create shoppable posts and run ad campaigns more easily.
Webflow also allows you to build a community and monetize members-only content so you can grow your audience with logins and gated content.
7. Backups and Security
Webflow takes the security of its websites very seriously. You’re provided with automatic backups that allow you to restore your website to the last save point in case something goes wrong.
The platform also provides free SSL certificates for all sites. Built-in SSL means there’s no need to manage or update risk-prone plugins. This helps protect your website, and assures visitors that they can trust your site with their personal information.
8. High-Performance Hosting
Webflow prides itself on providing high-performance hosting that is fast, scalable, and secure. It’s built to handle millions of pageviews each day with an impressive <100ms response time. The company has over 100 data centers worldwide which means your website loads fast for every visitor.
Webflow’s globally-distributed, AWS-powered hosting servers keep your website running smoothly, which makes both search engines and website visitors happy.
The platform’s infinitely scalable server fleet is always ready to meet sudden traffic spikes so you never have to worry about your site going down if you experience an influx of visitors.
You can set up lightning-fast managed hosting on Webflow in just a few clicks. Choose between Basic Hosting, CMS Hosting, and Business Hosting.
- Basic Hosting: With this plan, anyone can get a ‘basic’ website up and running. It’s perfect if you just need basic pages, such as a homepage, contact page, about page, or landing page with a form.
- CMS Hosting: This plan gives you full access to the Content Management System (CMS) that you can use to create and manage blog posts without having to create each individual blog post page yourself.
- Business Hosting: Choose the Business plan if you want to have everything in the Basic and CMS plan, as well as the ability to sell products online.
Webflow Pros and Cons
Not all website builders are the same, but one thing that’s common to all is that they come with their own unique sets of pros and cons. Webflow is no different, and below we look at some of its most prominent benefits and drawbacks.
- Free Plan Available: Webflow offers a free Starter Site plan, and you can upgrade to a paid plan to unlock additional features when you’re ready to go live.
- Powerful Editor: The website builder facilitates smooth cross-functional collaboration via its easy-to-use editor.
- Built-In SEO: With this website builder, you get fine-tuned control of your search engine optimization without engineers – great for anyone who wants advanced SEO Control.
- Fast, Reliable Hosting: When you sign up, you get access to fast and reliable hosting provided by AWS.
- Robust Security: The platform has state of the art website security practices and procedures, including free SSL, unlimited website backups, DDoS protection, and more.
- eCommerce Features: Manage a stunning online store easily thanks to eCommerce features that let you create unique end-to-end customer experiences.
- Steep Learning Curve: Webflow’s learning curve is a bit steep, especially when compared to other similar platforms like Web.com and GoDaddy. However, the platform does provide in-depth tutorials to help you every step of the way.
- No Live Chat or Phone Support: Webflow only offers support by way of email, articles, and videos. This may not be ideal for new users who require real-time assistance.
As you’ve seen so far, Webflow makes building websites a breeze. The platform’s experts understand that your site should be a marketing asset, and not an engineering challenge.
However, even with all the great features on offer, there are some areas where the website builder comes up short. In such a case, you might consider one of the three alternatives outlined below.
Webflow vs GoDaddy
Whether you want to build a website to show off your portfolio or set up a store to sell products or services, GoDaddy can help you achieve your goals. At a starting price of just $9.99/month, GoDaddy is a great option for anyone who’s budget conscious.
The platform provides a range of tools for building and managing your website, including a simple yet powerful drag-and-drop editor, customization options, eCommerce features, SEO and marketing tools, and much more. This all in one website builder is designed to help you grow, making it a great alternative to Webflow.
Webflow vs Squarespace
Squarespace has many of the same features as its competitor, including drag-and-drop editor, eCommerce tools, marketing and SEO features, and more. It’s an excellent option for anyone who wants complete control over the layout, colors, fonts, and every other element in their website.
However, at $16/month, Squarespace is a pricier option, which makes it unsuitable for those who are just starting out. Also, the platform offers a limited 14-day free trial to let you test out the core features. This way, you’ll be able to tell whether or not this is the best website builder to help you grow your business online.
If you’d like to learn more about how these web builders compare against each other, check out my comprehensive Squarespace vs. Webflow comparison here.
Webflow vs Web.com
The starting price for Web.com’s website builder is $1.95/month. Each plan includes a drag-and-drop editor, eCommerce tools, and built-in marketing tools. It’s an excellent fit for design lovers who require an easy and affordable way to build websites.
All things considered, this is one of the best website builders for small businesses and a great option if you want to quickly put together a website for your business or portfolio. Once you sign-up, you get a free one-hour website design support so you can start building a superb website right away.
Moreover, if you don’t feel like building your website yourself, the platform has experts that you can hire to take care of everything from hosting, domain name, website building, email, online store, and other expert services.
You can get started building your new website for free on a webflow.io domain. Once you’re ready to upgrade, choose from four different plans to find the perfect fit.
- Free Plan: $0/month. Best for learning how to use Webflow. It comes with 1GB bandwidth, 50 form submissions, and 50 CMS items.
- Basic Plan: $14/month. Best for launching a simple website and comes with a custom domain, 500 monthly form submissions, and 50 GB bandwidth.
- CMS Plan: $23/month. This plan is best for blogs and other content-driven sites. It offers 2,000 monthly CMS items, 1,000 form submissions, and 200 GB bandwidth.
- Business Plan: $39/month.
- Best for high-traffic marketing websites
- 10,000 monthly CMS items
- 2,500 form submissions
- 400 GB bandwidth
- 10 content editors
These prices are based on annual plans.
Webflow provides customer support via email. The support team replies to all requests within 48 hours. Those with paid Workspaces get priority support, and everyone else can get support in the following ways:
- Webflow University: You’ll find a lot of helpful content on Webflow University. Simply search for your topic to find the most relevant articles or videos.
- Free Lessons: Webflow has a vast library with over 400+ free lessons that cover everything from typography and layout to 3D transforms, interactions, and more.
- Community: Webflow also has a highly active community forum where you can connect with other Webflow users to find inspiration and discover tools to build a full-featured website. Post questions and receive answers from other community members.
With Webflow, you can connect your site to over 750 third-party apps and services – all without the need for any coding.
From analytics and targeting to email marketing, social media management, and customer engagement – you’ll be able to connect any tool you need to help you run a successful website.
Integrations include the following:
- Google Sheets: You can manage content from Google Sheets, import data or create a new entry whenever you publish a post on your site. You can also export your content to a Google sheet.
- Twitter: Automate your social media by posting updates whenever you publish new content on your website.
- Send Dynamic Email: Webflow lets you populate and send emails with CMS and form data.
- Publish Content Pulled From Forms: Connect your CMS to feed form data directly into your CMS and surface user-generated content.
- Cookie Consent: Generate a Cookie Notice and Banner for your site with this app from SECURITI.ai to ensure your website complies with GDPR, CCPA, ePrivacy, etc.
Is Webflow Legit?
Webflow is a responsive site builder designed for professionals who want to create stunning, fully-functional websites without having to work with code.
The software comes with powerful website building tools, including marketing, SEO, email, and eCommerce capabilities. You can optimize your website SEO with fine-tuned controls, flexible content management tools, and high-performance hosting.
Each Webflow website also comes with a range of security features, including a free SSL certificate, DDoS protection, unlimited website backups, and more. This means, you’ll never have to worry about providing a safe and secure browsing experience for your website visitors. You’ll also have the peace of mind of knowing all your data is backed up in case something goes wrong with your site.
All this is built-in, which means you get all the power you need without the need for plugins. But if you still want to add other tools and apps to your site, Webflow makes it easy to do so with one-click third-party integrations.
Getting started is easy. The setup process is simple and straightforward. Just sign up, answer a few questions, go through the short onboarding tutorial, and you are ready to start building your new site using the Webflow editor.
This platform is also built for enterprise-scale growth. If you want fast, scalable hosting, dedicated partnership, advanced security and more, then this is the website builder for you.
Here’s what one customer had to say about this software:
If you’re ready to create a pixel-perfect website, sign up for a free Webflow account and get started right now.