Another awesome month is in the books and June definitely didn’t disappoint.
All in all, this was my second-highest revenue month of all time.
Sure, I would’ve liked to have broken a record again, but it was hard to follow up last month with such high numbers.
That said, this month definitely had some highlights.
- My wife’s website is starting to show some promise so she’s going to be investing $15,000 into it from now until the end of the year. More details on this in the HT project update area of the report. If you’re wondering, yes I’m very nervous about this. I’ve never spent so much money on a website in such a short period of time, but we really think we have something here and could see it growing significantly with the right content and strategy.
- Backlinks to PI and HT are pouring in. I talk a little bit more about my link building campaigns in the report, but I’m happy to say that these are both starting to get some backlinks and that’s leading to some quick traffic increases.
- Website 3 had its second-best month ever. I kind of anticipated this due to success last year at around this time and I’m very happy to report that my wish came true.
This month my total income after expenses was $17,203.03 which comes out to $573.43 per day.
Personal Life Update
In the month of June, I had to take it easy with the house renovations because I somehow have a compressed nerve in my right arm and tendinitis.
I’m not sure exactly how I did it, but I’d be willing to bet that the constant stress at putting on my body to get all the house renovations completed had something to do with it.
In July I’ll be going to an orthopedic surgeon to see if I need a surgery, but I really don’t think I do. I think it’s going to end up being physical therapy and rest, but I’m no doctor…so we’ll see.
Aside from that, my wife and our dog have arrived and I’m obviously thrilled to have them around. It’s been a really long time since I’ve seen my wife (one month) but an even longer time since I’ve been able to hang out with our dog (one year).
Needless to say, it’s nice to finally be together again as a little family. No, we don’t have kids yet, but as of right now our cat and dog take on those roles.
From this point forward, my wife is officially at the last step of the process of getting her green card. She’s here on her visa and has a pending application to get a green card that is already approved.
Were really just waiting for the paperwork to go through and I’m told it could take up to three months.
The good news about that is once this does go through, we have absolutely every intention of taking a vacation.
Truth is, I love taking vacations but haven’t been able to do a good one since I left Brazil. Sure, we took a small trip to Las Vegas and Lake Geneva, but I like cool trips that I’ll remember for a lifetime.
We haven’t been able to do this because my wife can’t leave the country and return until she officially has her green card. Now, we’re finally at the end of this process and I’m excited to plan an awesome getaway.
We’re not sure exactly what it’s going to be yet, but we really never got to celebrate a honeymoon and frankly, never even got to celebrate our wedding.
That’s all for the personal update.
Before I begin the actual report, If you’d like to begin a similar journey as myself and try to create a passive income online business, I recommend you read this write-up I did.
It explains the truth about online business and should help educate you before you move forward with anything.
If this is your first time on my website let me explain a few things about my detailed income reports each month that outlines the money I made (or lost) each month.
I’m doing this for a number of reasons:
1) I strive to be transparent about what it takes to make money online.
2) These reports help me keep track of my own progress.
3) These reports hold me accountable.
Keep in mind, I don’t create these to gloat about my earnings. I create them to help you understand the true “earning curve” of online business.
On a side note, I don’t disclose my actual website URL’s on my reports because I’ve had bad experiences with copycats in the past.
So, in my income reports, you’ll see website generalizations like Website 1, Website 3, Website 5 Website 4, etc.
Now that we got that out of the way, let’s dive into the report.
How did the Income Report Turn Out This Month?
|PRODUCT OR SERVICE||REVENUE||EXPENSES||NET INCOME|
|LongTailPro Keyword Research Tool||$10.00||$10.00|
|Aweber Email Platform||$20.70||$20.70|
|ShutterstoWebsite 5 Images||$51.00||$51.00|
|OHP Course Sales||$291.00||$291.00|
|Partners and Affiliates Revenue|
|Website 2 Partners and Affiliates||$20.02||$20.02|
|Website 5 Partners and Affiliates||$38.56||$38.56|
|Website 6 Partners and Affiliates||$97.20||$97.20|
|Website 4 Partners and Affiliates||$344.94||$344.94|
|Website 3 Partners and Affiliates||$1,596.27||$1,596.27|
|Website 1 Partners and Affiliates||$7,799.01||$7,799.01|
|Personal VLOG Channel||$13.80||$13.80|
|Website 6 YouTube Channel||$35.42||$35.42|
|OHP YouTube Channel||$92.24||$92.24|
|Website 3 Media.net Ad Revenue||$33.70||$33.70|
|Website 4 Media.net Ad Revenue||$54.24||$54.24|
|Website 1 Media.net Ad Revenue||$127.93||$127.93|
|Google Adsense Revenue|
|Website 6 Adsense Revenue||$2.99||$2.99|
|OHP Adsense Revenue||$3.37||$3.37|
|Website 5 Adsense Revenue||$7.73||$7.73|
|Website 2 Adsense Revenue||$10.72||$10.72|
|Website 4 Adsense Revenue||$163.45||$163.45|
|Website 3 Adsense Revenue||$3,931.10||$3,931.10|
|Website 1 Adsense Revenue||$7,475.34||$7,475.34|
|Adobe Photoshop Account||$10.61||-$10.61|
|Mailshake Email Software||$33.20||-$33.20|
|Google Business Drive Storage and Apps||$47.18||-$47.18|
|Intuit Quick Books||$70.00||-$70.00|
|Freelance Labor Expenses|
|Freelance Research, Editing, and Misc. Labor||$2,338.89||-$2,338.89|
|Revenue By Channel||Website 1||Website 3||OHP Website||Website 4||Website 2||Website 5||Website 6||Consulting||Udemy||YouTube|
|January 2018||$7993.31 ||$467.71 ||$757.59 ||$718.04 ||$14.26 ||$486.99 ||$0||$113.95 ||$67.06
This Month’s Income Outliers
Every month I have income that streams in from multiple sources and quite frankly, a lot of that is pretty regular. However, each month I tend to see a few line items that are drastically different from the prior month. In this section, I only discuss the items that have increased or decreased significantly.
There were three items that jumped out to me this month:
- Website 3: The income from this website in the month of June was significant and I’m happy to see that I was able to predict this. I knew this was coming because last year June was the best month for the website and my hope was that the trend would stay the same. Interestingly, last year was actually better from an income perspective, but we’ve got a few things in the works to make this website a little bit better to increase the income and get better rankings.
- Website 6: This is my wife’s website and it’s in the fashion/beauty niche. I’m beginning to realize just how big this niche is and though I have absolutely no interest in the content, I’m always interested in growing a successful website and business. Income increased by almost 300% in a single month and though that only meant $100 in total income, I like those numbers.
- Website 4: There was a pretty big drop off in income for this website in the month of June and though that wasn’t ideal, I was able to identify exactly why that is. This particular website has an associated Facebook group with over 20,000 members. I use a tool called SocialBee to automate all of the social media postings to this group and it works really well. However, and this has happened to me in the past as well, at certain times the application will stop posting because the link between it and Facebook expires. The first time this happened I should’ve figured out a way to monitor it, but I didn’t, so it happened again. As you can guess, this happened in June and every time that this happens my income drops significantly because I use this group to get website traffic and affiliate sales. Now, I have an email notification set up through the platform that will inform me if things aren’t posting so this shouldn’t be an issue again.
This Month’s Expense Outliers
Similar to the income I make every month, there are certain expenses that I consider “fixed”. As I did in the income area, I’m only going to discuss the outliers or new items added as expenses.
There was two items that jumped out to me this month:
- Kinsta Web Hosting: I spent some time in June trying to figure out how to make my Website 1 faster. I hired a specialist for this and the first thing he recommended was that I move to Kinsta for web hosting. Because this website is my top earner, I didn’t hesitate and took his advice. I’m happy to report that by simply moving from Siteground to Kinsta, I was able to reduce load time for most of my pages somewhere between 2 to 3 seconds. This is a BIG win. Truth be told, I still love Siteground and think that for most (including all of my other websites) it’s a great hosting solution. But I really wanted to optimize for speed and get the absolute best performance I could for this website so I switched to a faster host.
- Freelance Labor Expenses: As I mentioned above, I hired a website speed expert in the month of June and that increase my freelance labor expenses. I do intend on continuing with this in July and I’m hopeful that he’ll be able to continue to deliver speed enhancements with recommendations. My expenses are pretty outlandish at the moment and I do intend on bringing them back down and soon, but not until I have my current development projects finished, which may take another month.
Website 1 Update: This month was pretty standard for Website 1 and although my page views aren’t as high as they were in the past, my income is significantly more.
In terms of the work that I’m doing here, I still have a writer going through old content and improving it piece by piece.
Beyond that, as I mentioned, I hired a speed expert to try to increase how quickly the website loads.
The income from this website is pretty steady and as long as the traffic stays, or increases, I should be in good shape for the foreseeable future.
I didn’t personally build any new back links to this website as it gets these organically now, but there was a good increase in referring domains that I believe was legitimate.
Here’s a graph of the last 12 months of progress:
Udemy Update: I no longer focus on Udemy and have no intention on going back. They sell my courses for $10 each and I’m just not okay with that.
OHP Website Update: Now that my course sales have decreased, I spent some time thinking about this and just don’t think that a podcast is going to be realistic.
Instead, my intention is to continue to grow the YouTube channel associated with this website.
The reason is because I had every intention of recording at least five different videos for YouTube in the month of June and only got around to recording one.
The reason isn’t because I’m lazy, but it’s because I have a full portfolio of websites that has a significant amount of my focus and while I’d love to continue to help people and spend my time educating others, it doesn’t return the investment that successful websites do.
So, instead of forcing a podcast every week that I already know I’ll struggle to keep up with, I’m just going to release YouTube videos whenever I feel like it.
After all, it’s my business and I should enjoy what I’m doing.
I know there’s a lot of untapped potential with the OneHourProfessor website and I could probably do really well if I focused solely on it, but it’s just not a smart business move. I definitely still want to help you folks reading this and really do love speaking to other online entrepreneurs that TAKE ACTION.
But, at the end of the day, I realize that I’m a serial entrepreneur and enjoy the process of starting and growing something from absolutely nothing.
Website 3 Update: June was a great month for Website 3, but I was a little turned off by the fact that I made more last year.
To be clear, I’m not complaining about the fact that I made just over $5,500 from this website in June, but I still feel like I could do so much more.
For this website, one of the things that I’m having my developer work on is creating some custom coding that makes the page on the website more Google friendly.
Basically, I looked at the top 10 results for many of my main keywords and realize that my website wasn’t providing what most of my competitors were. My word count and quality of the pages is higher, I have more page level back links, but I’m still not beating my competitors.
At this point, the only thing that I can think is that Google isn’t happy with the actual content on the page. So, I’m going to try to solve that and anticipate that by the end of July I should have this finished. If I do, we’ll see how things start to change.
If this website is ever able to meet its expectations but I have, it should begin earning more than Website 1. The problem though is that this is in a much more competitive area and the niche is continually being pressured by all the competition.
Here’s a graph of the last 12 months of progress.
Website 4 Update: There was a pretty significant dip in earnings for Website 4 and, as I mentioned earlier in the report, I know exactly why that is.
Basically, the tool that I use to auto post to social media stopped doing so and I wasn’t made aware of. Now, I have something in place and that I will be made aware of it so that shouldn’t happen again.
In addition to that, I’ve noticed that my main competition for this website has really stepped up their content game and is working relentlessly to try to make better content than what I have.
Truth be told, the content on this website isn’t stellar and I think that if I left things alone my competitor would probably be able to overtake me.
Though I don’t intend on investing in this right now, in the coming months I will be revising content on this website to try to make it better than it currently is to make sure that my competitor doesn’t beat me.
I think when I do this, I’ll be able to reclaim some of the positions that I’ve lost in the SERP and hopefully get earnings back to around $1000/month.
Here are my statistics for this website in the last 12 months:
Website 5 Update: I’m still ignoring this website and I think the data shows that. Earnings are minuscule and although I want to just sell this thing off, I know that’s not the right move.
Instead, I’m going to continue to sit and wait. In July I’ll start to slowly build a few links to review pages in an effort to get them higher in the search results.
I don’t know if it’s going to work considering this website already has a good amount of backlinks and hasn’t found much success, but I’d rather do this then just give up.
Hopefully, by the end of July I’ll have some positive momentum, but as of right now this website is still a total dud.
Here are my statistics for this website so far:
Website 7 Update
Though this website is only about three months old, I was able to land some pretty awesome back links this month.
The way that I did this was through the infamous Skyscraper method of creating a really good piece of content and then asking other websites to link to it.
Surprisingly, it worked and I think that this could be a pretty sweet deal if it continues to pay off.
Because I got burned on Website 5 by building back links to quickly, I’m trying to slowly do so with this website and focus more on quality over quantity.
So far, I’ve gotten backlinks of websites with a DR as low as 32 and as high as 72.
I don’t have a ton of backlinks yet, but the ones that I do have are very powerful and I’m already seeing traffic increasing because of this.
This is especially exciting considering I think this website is still in the Google sandbox because it’s so new.
Usually at around month six things will increase significantly and I’m hopeful that I’ll see that pop with this website.
How Much Have I Invested in This Website:
How Much Content is on the Website:
Keep in mind that this is an informational type of website, not affiliate related at all. My plan is to monetize with AdSense and info products that I create
289 Informational pages on the website
16 Informational Blog Posts
What Do I Plan on Doing in the Next Month With This Website?
For now, it’s all about having writers create awesome content and posting it to the website.
So far, that seems to be working and though traffic is slowly creeping along, I have no doubt that it’s going to increase drastically in the coming months.
Aside from that, I intend on continuing to build backlinks from quality websites to help Google understand that I’m a very good resource for the niche.
It’s really that simple, I’m just going to have more content created and try to build more back links.
I’m not monetizing the website yet and don’t intend on doing so for at least a couple more months.
Below is a summary of the website so far:
Website 6 Update: This website is quickly becoming my favorite project.
Not only because I get to work on this one with my wife, but because were starting to see some positive momentum and my wife is willing to pour about $15,000 into it.
I know, that’s a ton of money and most of you reading this won’t have that amount of money at your disposal.
Truth is, I don’t even feel like we have that amount of money at our disposal.
But, I’ve been blessed enough to do pretty well with my online business so I told her to take her savings and just put it towards her website and push hard till the end of the year.
This website is over a year old and well beyond the Google sandbox.
Since I started helping her with it in the last couple months, we’ve already seen pretty good growth with traffic and the more we do, the better it looks.
I’ve also realized that the fashion/beauty niche has a lot of crappy content and plenty of websites that I don’t think are doing a very good job.
Aside from the heavy hitters, I really think we can make a dent in market share with $15,000 at our disposal.
How Much Have I Invested in This Website:
We’re at about $1900 into this project right now, but we will be pouring thousands of dollars into content and backlinking for the rest of the year in an effort to create hockey-stick growth.
How Much Content is on the Website/YouTube:
This website is mostly focused on affiliate content with some informational content. There is also a big play for sponsored brand content, but that comes later when we have more traffic and brands are contacting us.
102 Blog Posts
17 YouTube Videos
When did the website officially launch?
The first article was published on 6/26/2018.
What Do I Plan on Doing in the Next Month With This Website?
Content, content, content.
Also, link building.
Do you see a trend with my websites?
I spend a significant amount of money and time focused on creating good content and linkbuilding. At the end of the day, once you have a good base, that’s really all you need.
The difference with this website from my other ones is that we have a ton of money to spend and I think the biggest struggle will be continuing to deliver quality content as we ramp up production. I have an editor in place and I’m working hard to make sure we don’t have this issue.
My wife and I are going to make a plan and figure out exactly how we are going to allocate her $15,000 in savings.
She’s trying to use that bidget for an Instagram account, YouTube Channel, and Website. The thing that's cool is that if we do this right, we can repurpose her content from any of her channels across all other areas.
That said, there’s a lot of things that are going to be needed to make her business run and though $15,000 is a good amount of money to really get going, it definitely isn’t an infinite amount and if we invest all of this and see no success, she'll absolutely be stopping the project.
But, I'm focused on the website (which I'm good at) and she's focused on social media (which she's good at), so I think this will be a winner.
Here are my statistics for this website so far:
Every month, I’m going to reflect back and tell you a few different lessons that I’ve learned. My hope is that the lessons each month will be a cautionary tale for you that makes it so that you don’t make the dumb mistakes that I do along the way.
- Instagram can be great for Linkbuilding: I wasn’t sure exactly how well we would be able to get links to my wife’s website using Instagram as the primary driver, but it’s been INCREDIBLY successful and I’m very happy with the results. I don’t know that this would work in every niche, but in the fashion/beauty niche with a sizeable Instagram, it’s been very successful.
- I’m Busy and Need to Stay Focused: I want to do a lot of things, including creating a YouTube and Podcast. But after a month of staying really busy and coming back to reality, I need to remember that my current projects are what have gotten me to where I am and it’s best to focus on things that give the highest return on investment.
- It’s Okay to Make a Big Investment: I wouldn’t say that I’ve necessarily learned this lesson yet, but just the simple premise of having a large budget for a website is something that I’m taking as a lesson away from this month. My wife and I will be pouring money into her website that’s gaining traction and only time will tell if we’ll be successful.
Did I Meet my Goals for June?
Get 5 Links to Website 7 (SUCCESS)
I was able to get a total of 8 links to the website in the month of June. This is reflected on my report yet because Google Webmaster tools hasn’t figured it out, but that’s what my number ended up at.
Implement solution on Website 3 to try to get better rankings (FAIL)
I’m actually still working on this, but I do think that by the end of this month on a solution in place. I’m not sure if it’s going to work and if Google is going to like it, but the only thing I can think of doing to raise my SERP positions.
Review Flagship OHP course (SUCCESS)
I did this and I was pleasantly surprised to see that I barely had to make any changes. I remember when I created the course I wanted it to be Evergreen and after taking a look, I can confirm that is just as good now as it was then. I thought since I had visited that in such a long time that it made sense to revise a lot of content and though I did change a few small things, the majority of the course can and will remain the same.
What Are my Goals for July?
Get 5 Links to Website 7
I’m going to keep this as a goal for the website because I think that it’s something I should continue to strive for. I’m not going to put a lot of emphasis on link building yet as the website is still pretty new, but there will be a few things that I do to try to get some links.
Implement solution on Website 3 to try to get better rankings
By the end of this month I should be able to put the solution in place. I’m not 100% sure when that will be or how little work out, but I’m going to keep this as a goal for the month.
Setup Budget/Strategy For Website 6
My wife’s website has a lot of money ready to go and we need to figure out the proper way to invest it into content and link building. I’m not sure exactly what that’s going to be yet, but in the month of July I want to get a clear direction for the website and make it so that we have a team in place to grow as quickly as possible.
What are your goals for the month? What questions do you have? Let me know in the comments below!