Weight loss is a massive, billion-dollar industry that continues to grow at a phenomenal pace. According to research, the global industry is valued at just below $200 billion, and starting a weight loss blog will allow you to carve out a nice little slice of that for yourself.
Health and fitness are a big part of our lives, and a lot of people deal with a wide variety of weight issues on a daily basis. If you have information or experience that can help others on their journey to achieve their weight loss goals, then a blog is the perfect platform for you to share what you know.
A blog will also help you connect with other like-minded individuals and create a community of friends and followers to whom you can recommend methods or products to help them reach their goals.
This guide on how to start a weight loss blog contains all the information you need to get started. Follow the steps in it to build and grow a successful and profitable blog.
This guide is extremely DETAILED and explains everything you need to start a weight loss blog. I’ve been at this blogging stuff for over 8 years and have built a business making $20,000 per month, so I have a lot of helpful advice for you newbies out there.
How to Start a Weight Loss Blog in 10 Steps:
If you just need someone to walk you through the process of setting up your blog quickly and easily, check out step 5.
Most people who start blogs do so for the sake of making money. However, there are tons of other great reasons to do so.
Here are a few of the top reasons why it’s such a great idea to start a weight loss blog:
- Review Weight Loss Products: One of the best reasons to start a weight loss blog is that it allows you to review tons of different weight loss products that are available on the market today.
- Let Your Voice Be Heard: A weight loss blog will help you connect with others who have similar interests to your own so you can voice your opinions and share your ideas with an engaged audience.
- Improve Your Writing Skills: Writing regularly on your blog will help to improve your writing skills and hone your unique writing voice over time.
- Weight Loss Accountability: If you are 100% committed to achieving your weight loss goals, you can start your weight loss blog as a way to hold yourself accountable.
- Chronicle Your Weight Loss Journey: A weight loss blog is a perfect platform to share your weight loss journey with friends and others trying to achieve the same goals. If you only want to share the weight loss journey, you may consider setting up a Lifestyle blog and making the weight loss a part of it.
- Make Money: A blog is also a great way to earn money online. There are tons of ways you can monetize your blog, and even create a source of passive income for yourself.
Whatever your reasons are for starting a weight loss blog, if you are ready to begin, let’s get the wheels turning!
Starting a blog from scratch doesn’t have to be hard as long as you have a simple and effective plan to follow.
This is exactly what this guide is designed to give you.
By following each of the 10 steps outlined here, you will take all the guesswork out of the process of creating a blog. Better yet, the technical aspect has been broken down to make it easy even for complete beginners who have never built websites before.
1. Decide the Focus of Your Weight Loss Blog
Your first step in creating a weight loss blog is to decide the focus or direction of your blog. It’s not enough to simply create a generic blog about “weight loss”. You need to position your blog in a way that plays to your strengths and gives you the best chance of success at building an audience and transforming your blog into a thriving business.
There are many different routes you can take with your weight loss blog, such as:
- Weight Loss Reviews: Your blog can be focused on reviewing the different types of weight loss methods that are ideal for different segments of your audience.
- Weight Loss Product Recommendations and Criticisms: Alternatively, you can use your blog as a way to share information on weight loss products – both recommendations and criticisms.
- News about Weight Loss: You can use your blog as a platform to share industry news, weight loss trends, research, or the science behind weight loss, among other topics.
- Your Weight Loss Journey: If you have managed to successfully shed the pounds, or are in the process of doing so, then a blog is the perfect vehicle to help you document your story of weight loss.
- Fad Diets and Their Ramifications/Effectiveness: Another way to position your blog is to focus on writing about the effectiveness or ramifications of fad diets.
2. Choose Your Weight Loss Niche
Once you’ve decided on the focus of your blog, it’s time to choose your niche. As previously mentioned, you can’t simply create a blog about “losing weight”. The topic is too broad.
You need to choose a niche or a subtopic within that broad industry to further focus your content creation.
Listed below are some options for weight loss niche topics to help you get your thought process going.
- Specific Diets: You can choose a niche such as Intermittent Fasting, the Ketogenic diet, Atkins diet, Paleo diet, calorie-specific diets, and so on.
- Specific Workout Regimens: Your niche can be focused on creating specific weight loss workout regimens that cater to different types of people.
- Weight loss for Women/Men: Your niche can be weight loss for either men or women. You can also choose a specific age range that you want to focus on.
- Weight Loss for Diabetics: This is a combination of two of the biggest niches currently available: weight loss and health care.
- Weight Loss for New Mothers: This is a very popular weight loss niche as most new mothers need help getting back to their pre-baby weight.
- Weight Loss for Kids: There will never be a shortage of parents trying to find ways to help keep their kids fit, which makes this a great niche to choose for a new weight loss blogger.
- How to Lose Belly Fat: A blog that focuses on the stubborn fat areas like the belly, hips, etc. will be sure to find avid followers as many people are searching for solutions to help them lose weight in these problem areas.
- Weight Loss Pills and Supplements: Although it’s a weight loss niche, this industry has grown so vast that you still may have to drill down to find sub-niche topics to blog about.
- Weight Loss Teas and Detoxes: There are dozens of teas and detoxes for weight loss, and you can focus on any or all of them on your blog.
- Weight Loss for a Wedding: You can either focus on the bride or the groom (and even the entire wedding party) and share tips on how they can lose a few extra pounds quickly so they look great on the big day.
The great thing about weight loss is that it is a large, evergreen, and ever-profitable industry. However, it’s also super-competitive, and choosing the right niche will help you climb your way up the search engine rankings.
The trick is to choose a niche that isn’t just a passing fad in weight loss, and the niche you choose should be small enough that you’re not directly competing against larger authority domains while still being broad enough that you can build an audience of engaged blog followers.
When you can find these nooks and crannies of this massive industry, it becomes a lot more likely that your new weight loss blog will be a success.
Once you’ve found a niche that you like, it’s time to move on to choosing your blogging platform.
3. Choose Your Blogging Platform
Before you can begin creating content on your blog, you first need to have a blogging platform. A blogging platform is just software that allows your blog to be visible online.
You can choose a free blogging platform or a premium one. Free blogging platforms include Wix, Blogger, and Squarespace, among many others. But, before you reach for the free platforms, it’s important to know that they come with some drawbacks.
Drawbacks of Using Free Blogging Platforms:
- Limited Features: A free platform doesn’t have many of the necessary features you need to grow your blog, and this will limit your ability to expand your blog and monetize it in the future.
- Lack of Control: With a free blogging platform, you don’t have full control over your blog. Your website might get taken down at any time, without notice.
- Unprofessional Look: Free blogging websites don’t look professional, and when you have a site like “MyWeightLossBlog.Squarespace.com”, it makes it less likely that your audience will view you as an authority in your niche.
- Limited Monetization: When using free blogging platforms, you are limited as to the types of blog monetization techniques that you can employ.
- Host Branding and Ads: The host platform may show ads everywhere on your site. This makes your blog look even more unprofessional and untrustworthy.
- Lack of SEO, Support, and Analytics: With free blogging platforms, you don’t get the proper analytics, support, or search engine optimization to allow your website to climb to the top of the results pages.
If you want to be able to leverage your blog’s full money-making potential, then you need a self-hosted blog.
I recommend that you choose WordPress as your blogging platform. Keep in mind that the self-hosted blogging platform (WordPress.org) is different from the free version (WordPress.com).
Why You Should Choose Premium WordPress
- WordPress is easy to install and free to download and use. You only have to pay for hosting.
- The software is ideal for beginners and no coding experience is required.
- WordPress has thousands of free and paid plugins that will help to extend the functionality of your website.
- The platform integrates with a variety of other marketing services and apps.
- WordPress offers a lot of flexibility when it comes to monetizing your weight loss blog.
- There is also a massive community of developers and users who are always there to help and support you.
When your blog isn’t hosted by a free blogging platform, it means you own all of your own content. You have full control over your site, and you can monetize it in a variety of ways. For instance, a lot of companies and brands will not work with bloggers who are not self-hosted.
To help you gain an understanding of just how powerful this blogging platform is, take a look at some of these recent statistics:
- Over 60% of websites on the internet are powered by WordPress
- There are 660 WordPress websites created every single day
- The number of WordPress websites online grows by at least 4% each year
- WordPress boasts over 50,000 plugins to extend website functionality
- More than 70 million new posts are published by WordPress users each month
That’s more than enough to convince anyone that WordPress is the way to go.
4. Decide Your Domain Name
Your domain name is simply the name of your weight loss blog. It’s your URL or address on the internet that visitors will type into their browsers to come to your blog.
If you name your blog “Best Diet Meal Plans”, then your domain name will be “BestDietMealPlans.com.” Although your domain name doesn’t have to be the same as your blog name, it helps if you use the same name in order to keep things consistent and avoid confusing your blog visitors.
This list of names for food blogs might help inspire some ideas for you.
Choosing a domain name doesn’t have to be complicated. You simply need to come up with a name that is short, unique, memorable, and relevant to your audience or niche.
Below, I’ve listed 10 tips to help you choose a great name for your weight loss blog.
1. Go with “.com”: There are a lot of weight loss-related domain extensions available, such as .diet, .fitness, and so on. But, .com is what the internet was built on. It’s what many people are familiar with, and it’s the extension they trust the most – which is why it’s a good idea to choose .com.
2. Choose a Broad Name: Your name needs to reflect your niche, but it’s also important to choose a name that is broad enough to allow you to grow your blog over time. If you choose a micro-niche that is focused on “500 Calorie Meal Plans” (as an example), you may find yourself limited as to the type of content you can create for your blog. However, a broader name like “Daily Diet Meal Plans” gives you more room to expand your blog in the future.
3. Make It Short and Sweet: The name you choose should be short and easy enough for your audience to remember and type into their browsers. Avoid long or complex words, and keep your blog name to just two or three words if possible. You can use up to four or five words if absolutely necessary, but try your best not to use any more than that.
4. Use Alliteration: Alliteration is where you use two or more words that start with the same letter or sound. This is a great tactic to help you come up with a name that is memorable and unique. Examples of weight loss blog names that use alliteration include, “From Fat to Flat”, “Total Transformation”, and “Daily Diet”
5. Use Creativity: If you find that the name you wanted for your blog is taken, get creative to find a name that you will be happy with. For example, say you wanted the name “Weight Loss Diet Secrets”, you might settle for something like “Weight Loss Diet Tips“, instead. Using synonyms is a great way to help you find the name that is brandable and aligned with your style.
6. Add Extra Words: If all else fails, you can add extra words like “the“, “fitness“, “diet“, “blog”, and so on in order to get the name you want. For instance, if you wanted the name “Fat Loss Project”, you might settle for a name like “The Fat Loss Project”.
7. Think of a Concept: Think of different ways that your weight loss blog might be branded or how you could expand it in the future. This will help you brainstorm unique names that are in line with your brand.
8. Use Online Tools: If you are still stuck finding a name for your new blog, you can use domain name generating tools like Lean Domain Search and Instant Domain Search. All you have to do is enter a few keywords, and the tool will provide you with a list of possible names for your weight loss blog.
9. Don’t Buy a Domain Name: If you find the name you want being offered for sale for hundreds of dollars, don’t be tempted to buy it. Instead, opt for a standard domain name and use that money to invest in high-quality content for your business. You can always purchase any domain name that you want after your business is profitable.
10. Do Not Get Stuck Here: Many people who set out to create weight loss blogs never make it past the stage. They get stuck in the process of trying to pick the best name for their blog and they never get around to actually creating any content.
This process should not take you more than a couple of hours to complete.
Set aside the time you need and follow the steps as they are outlined here to help you choose a unique and memorable name for your new blog and then move on to the next step.
To help you in this regard, I have listed some examples of popular weight loss blog names, as well as why the names make sense. I have also included a list of some weight loss blog name ideas for you to consider.
Examples of Popular Weight Loss Blog Names (and why they make sense)
- The Healthy Foodie: This blog is all about making healthy eating exciting. The name is short and sweet and easy to recall.
- The Lean Green Bean: This blog name uses alliteration to create a unique and memorable name.
- Workout Mommy: This is another example of a descriptive blog name that is short and easy to type into a browser.
- Body Rebooted: This blog name is short and easy to remember. It also makes it clear that the blog is all about sculpting the body.
- Carrots and Cake: This is yet another example of a blog name that uses alliteration to make it easy for the audience to remember.
10 Creative Ideas for a Weight Loss Blog Names
- Happy Keto Journey
- Think Myself Thin
- Lying Scales
- Daily Detox
- Weight Loss Zone
- Lean for Life
- Natural Weight Loss Secrets
- Fat to Flat Pro
- A Great Weight
- Slim Meals and More
Pro Tip for Choosing a Good Blog Name:
When it comes to choosing the right name for your weight loss blog, one of the biggest mistakes to avoid is using copyrighted brands, such as Fitbit or Weight Watchers.
Don’t use copyrighted names as there is a risk you may have to change your website name later if they go after you.
So, for instance, if you wanted to create a blog about using a Fitbit for weight loss, instead of calling it something like “Fitbit Pro”, you could call your new blog “Fit Tracker Pro”, or something to that effect.
This also helps you unlink your brand from theirs, which means you can honestly review a variety of other fitness tracker brands without experiencing issues with conflict of interest in your promotions.
5. Buy Your Domain Name and Hosting
Once you have decided on a name for your new blog, your next step is to purchase the domain name and your preferred website hosting platform.
If your domain name is like your blog address on the internet, then your hosting can be likened to the real estate on which you will build your blog home.
You rent the space from web hosts who provide the service that allows your blog to be visible online. They host your blog on their servers and ensure that it’s always there online for your audience to find at all times.
There are tons of web host providers to choose from. But I recommend that you use SiteGround, which is a reliable web hosting provider that has been around for a long time.
SiteGround offers affordable services for new bloggers, and they will provide you with the best platform to give your new weight loss blog a firm foundation for future growth and success.
With SiteGround, you get tons of great features, such as a free SSL certificate to help protect your visitors’ data, and 24/7 customer support – which is great for new or tech-challenged bloggers who have never built websites before.
SiteGround also offers one-click WordPress installation and impressive website loading speeds that outperform most other web host providers.
Below, I take you through the entire process of purchasing a domain and hosting for your new blog. I’ve included a YouTube video and screenshots to help make the process easier for you. Choose the tutorial that works best for you, and let’s get started.
I’ve created a step-by-step tutorial to walk you through the entire process of buying your domain name and hosting. The first thing you need to do is click on this link to visit Bluehost and follow along with the tutorials below.
Below is a YouTube video and screenshots showing you the exact step-by-step process, choose whatever tutorial that works best for you.
Step 1: If you haven’t yet, click on this link and you’ll be brought to the WordPress Hosting page that you see below.
Step 2: Next, you’ll be brought to the hosting plan page. You could choose to get a “Plus” or “Choice Plus” plan, but honestly, that’s not a requirement.
The Startup plan is the cheapest at $2.95/month through my link vs. the normal $8.99/month.
This plan has everything you need including 50GB of webspace (plenty of room for your files), a free domain for a year, plus other standard features like a free SSL and a secure WordPress install. Feel free to browse a bit to decide the right plan for you, but rest assured that Basic will work just fine if you want to minimize your investment.
Step 3: After clicking into the plan, you’ll be brought to the next page where you will type-in your new domain, or you can just choose “I’ll create my domain later” if you haven’t decided on one yet. The domain is the URL people will type into a browser to view your website in the future. There are many hosting services you can buy domains from including bluehost and GoDaddy.
Step 4: Once you submit, the next page will ask for all of your information. That will start with your account information, which is self-explanatory.
Step 5: Next, you’ll have to input your Package Information. This is to choose how long you want the plan to go for. My advice is that you choose 24 months to get the discount and save some money, but you can go as low 12 months if you want.
Step 6: Next you’ll have to choose what “Package Extras” you want. You can scroll over “More Information” to understand what each of these items are, but here is my own advice.
I would get the “Domain Privacy + Protection”, this makes it so that no one can tie your name to the domain name you create. To me, the only other one worth considering is “Codeguard Basic”. The other two I wouldn’t personally get. But choose what is best for you.
Step 7: The next step is Payment Information, which is self-explanatory.
Step 8: And the last step of signup is to confirm that you read and understand the Bluehost Terms of Service, Cancellation Policy, and Privacy Notice. Click the check button and then click “Submit”.
Step 9: Next you’ll be prompted to create an account and password. This is the information that you’ll use to login to the Bluehost platform to manage your site and account info.
Step 10: At this point Bluehost puts you through a short questionnaire to better understand your scenario. You can answer all of these questions, or click “Skip this Step” on the bottom. If you’re a newbie, I advise you to answer the questions as it’ll help your onboarding experience.
Step 11: After you’re done with that you’ll be advised to choose a theme. For now, you can just choose to use a free theme. You can always replace the theme later if you’d like.
Step 12: From there, you’ll be brought into the backend of WordPress in the admin panel. This is where you’ll manage your site from. You can add posts/pages as you see fit, but when you’re ready click on the blue button that says “Launch Your Site”.
Step 13 (Final): Your blog is LIVE. Just go to a browser and type in your domain name. Once you do this, you’ll be able to access your website!
Congrats! You officially have a website.
If you’re wondering how to edit things on the website, all you have to do from here is go to your website URL with /wp-admin at the end in a browser and login.
Example: http://mostawesomewebsiteever (dot) com/wp-admin
And don’t worry, we cover how to edit things more in the rest of this guide as well. So please continue reading.
6. Choose and Install a Theme For Your Weight Loss Blog
A website theme is software that dictates the way your website or blog looks. It creates the design and layout of your blog pages without you having to learn any HTML code.
A theme also makes it easy for you to change and customize any of your blog’s design elements, such as colors, fonts, images, etc. which means that you can make your blog look exactly the way you want without having any coding knowledge or experience.
There are free themes and premium themes, and when it comes to choosing a theme, it’s important to choose a quality theme that will help you build a professional-looking website.
That’s why I recommend you choose a premium WordPress theme over a free one because, with premium themes, you will have all the functionality required to create a stylish weight loss blog that stands out from the rest.
Reasons to Choose a Premium Theme
- Full Features: Premium themes give you access to all the themes features, as opposed to a free theme where most of the features are locked.
- Constant Updates: Unlike free themes, premium WordPress themes are constantly updated by the developers.
- SEO-Optimized: Paid themes are mobile-optimized and SEO-ready. The hard work is done for you, and all you need to do after purchasing the theme is to simply upload and activate it on your blog.
- Enhanced Security: All premium WordPress themes come with built-in security to help fight off any malicious code and maintain your website security.
- Customer Support: When you choose a premium theme, you get reliable technical support anytime you need help or your questions answered.
Below, I have listed some of the best themes that are perfect for a weight loss blog. Each of them is affordable, customizable, and will allow you to build a unique and attractive weight loss blog.
Examples of Great Themes for Weight Loss Blogs
- Divi: If you’re looking to design a stunning website with ease, Divi from Elegant Themes stands out as arguably the best WordPress builder available today. Its intuitive visual drag-and-drop interface empowers users to craft amazing sites quickly. What sets Divi apart is its vast array of customizable modules, real-time design feedback, and a responsive editing feature that ensures your website looks impeccable on any device.
- Astra: While Divi is renowned for its versatile design capabilities, the Astra theme offers a distinct set of advantages for those prioritizing speed, performance, and seamless integration. Astra stands out for its feather-light weight, ensuring that websites load at lightning-fast speeds—a critical factor for SEO and user experience. Moreover, Astra’s deep compatibility with major page builders, including Elementor and Beaver Builder, means that users aren’t restricted to a single design environment. The theme is also built with a focus on customization as well. You can read my Astra Theme Review if you want to learn more.
- Themeforest.net: Themeforest has a significant amount of themes far beyond other platforms out there. There are over 48,000 total themes available on this platform, so you can find whatever you need.
This weight loss theme is perfect for diet and nutrition websites, food, and health blogs, as well as organic food shops. It comes with a variety of special features to help you display nutrition facts. It also has a BMI calculator, calories calculator, and much more. It’s a good time to mention that if you really want to write about food habits, you may want to read how to start a food blog instead.
This is a fully responsive weight loss theme that is ideal for health-based product websites. The flexible layouts work perfectly on all browsers and devices of all sizes. The theme comes with powerful functionality for services and alternative components – all of which will help you build an exquisite weight loss blog.
This theme comes with three weight loss and health blog homepages, as well as a WooCommerce store, WP bakery, calories calculator, and much more. It’s ideal for fitness, health, and weight loss blogs and will help you showcase your content in a unique and attractive way.
The BioDiet theme has a fresh, modern design. It’s perfect for weight loss bloggers who want a clean, minimalist blog design. This theme is quality-checked by Envato and comes with six months’ support, future updates, and a theme hosting offer.
Fitness Zone is among the best premium WordPress themes for diet and weight loss blogs. It has a fully responsive layout that looks great on desktop, mobile, and tablet devices. It comes with a wealth of fitness and weight loss features and pages, including a BMI calculator, fitness appointments, training programs, class timetable, and a fitness equipment shop.
What to Look for in a Great Theme
- Fast: The theme you choose should be fast so that it doesn’t slow down your page loading speed
- Mobile Responsive: Make sure your theme, like many responsive website builders, is mobile responsive and that it looks great on any device
- Easy Customization: The theme should be easily customizable so you can match your brand and style
- Tech Support: Make sure the theme offers technical support in case you come up against some issues during installation or use
- Well-Established Brand: Choose a theme from a known and trusted brand with longevity in the market
- Great Ratings: Your theme should have tons of good online ratings and reviews from actual users
7. Create Essential Pages & Logo
Let’s take a closer look at what you need to include on each of these pages.
This is one of the most important pages on your website. It is certainly going to be one of the most visited. The people in your audience will want to know who you are, why you do what you do, and why they should listen to you.
Your About page is the perfect place to provide them with all that information. This is even more important if your blog is focused on sharing your own personal journey to weight loss. If so, make sure you use your own name and personality so that your target audience can better relate to you.
Your About page is also a great place to add a call to action asking your readers to connect with you on your social media profiles or to sign up for your blog’s email newsletter.
This page should contain all the information your readers may need to get in touch with you. This includes your email, phone number, Skype, social media profiles, physical address, etc.
You can include a contact form on this page to make it easy and convenient for those who are trying to get in touch with you. A plugin like Contact Form 7 will help you create a professional-looking contact form for this page.
Give your readers different options for getting in touch with you, but make sure you only provide them with the details of the contact channels that you intend to monitor closely so that you can provide prompt responses to any inquiries.
On this page, you must provide information pertaining to the type of personal visitor data that you collect on your website, such as names, emails, and so on. Outline your process for collecting the information and exactly what you use this information for.
Create a Logo
8. Begin Blogging
Time to start blogging. But what exactly should you write about? Depending on the niche you chose, there are tons of topics for you to write about on your weight loss blog.
Here are some examples to help you get your creative juices flowing:
- Your Daily/Weekly/Monthly Progress Update
- Meal/Recipe of the Week
- How to Create Weight Loss Goals
- Interviews with Weight Loss/Nutrition/Fitness Experts
- Product Reviews
- Tackle Popular Issues/Challenges with Weight Loss
- Best Exercises for Working Out at Home/Without Equipment
- Full-Bodied Routines for Fat Loss
- How to Stay Motivated as a Beginner
- Batch Cooking for Weight Loss
- Personal Stories and Your Journey
The list is endless. If you find yourself stuck for writing ideas, check out some of the other popular blogs in your niche, and see the types of posts that they cover. Choose the ones that are shared the most or have the most engagement in the comments section, and create something even better for your own audience.
Weight Loss Blogging Do’s and Don’ts
The weight loss niche is huge and there are plenty of opportunities for those with valuable knowledge and experience to share with others on their weight loss journey.
But, this vast niche is also filled with deceptive sales messages, purely promotional sites, and even scams that are designed solely to separate people from their hard-earned money.
Because of this, when it comes to writing for weight loss blogs, there are certain do’s and don’ts to keep in mind if you want to build a credible brand and stand out from the crowd.
DO use your name and let your personality show: These days, people have very little trust for websites that talk about weight loss, and one way to establish your trustworthiness is to use your real name on your blog and post actual photos of yourself.
DO Publish Only Real Reviews: If you plan on publishing any reviews on your blog, make sure you only publish real reviews of products that you have actually tried. Whether you are talking about diets, pills, training programs, DVDs, training equipment, etc., give an honest opinion of the product so you can help your audience make the best and most informed decisions.
DON’T Make Promises: When endorsing products or services, never promise any type of results. This is something spammers do and it’s important to avoid making any sort of promise of results if you want to maintain your credibility.
Of course, that’s not to say that you cannot endorse anything. You absolutely can do so, but make sure you only do it when you are 100% sure that the product is reliable and of great quality.
DON’T Talk Only about Good Things: Your posts should not only be talking about good things. You should also touch on the negative side of things. This is especially true when you’re writing product reviews or documenting a weight loss journey.
Not all days are good – everyone experiences bad days when trying to lose weight and it gives you more credibility and makes your message more real when you can share both the good and the bad.
Important Note: Before you start promoting your new weight loss blog, make sure that you have at least 10 blog posts published so that your visitors land on a well-populated and professional-looking blog. This will make it more likely that they will come back to check out more of your content.
But, if you invite people to a new blog that has hardly any content on it, they may not find reason enough to come back.
9. Promoting Your Weight Loss Blog
Once your blog is live, it’s time to start promoting it. Listed below are some of the most effective blog promotion techniques that you can implement to start getting a steady stream of traffic to your new blog.
Friends and Family: Your friends and family will want to support you with your new blog. As soon as it’s live, share your blog with them and ask them to visit your blog and read your content. Encourage them to share your blog with their friends on social media and other places so you can get more eyeballs on your content.
Social Media: Social media is a powerful tool for marketing your weight loss blog. If you are not already on social media, create pages for your blog, and start posting your content there. You don’t have to be active on every platform, but choose the ones where your target audience hangs out the most and start there.
Weight Loss Clubs on Facebook: Join groups of people on Facebook and other places online who are interested in weight loss. Weight Loss Clubs on Facebook are a particularly good place to find targeted readers for your blog. You can also invite those people to continue the discussion about weight loss on your own blog through comments.
Guest Posting: Start writing posts for other websites in your niche and commenting on other blogs. This will help bring traffic to your own blog and it’s a great tactic to get your name out there. As long as you focus on creating high-quality content that answers your audience’s questions or helps them achieve specific goals, then you will start to see a growing stream of traffic to your website.
SEO: Search Engine Optimization is one of the best (and most affordable) ways to bring traffic to your blog. For each post that you write on your blog, make sure it is optimized with important keywords in your niche.
Doing so will help make it more likely that your content will be found by your ideal audience who are searching for solutions online. The better optimized your content, the higher it will rank in the search engines, and the more traffic you will get to your blog.
Remember to have at least 10 blog posts written and published before you start promoting your new blog. This is extremely important, otherwise, you risk alienating your audience if you send them to a sparsely-populated blog.
10. Start Making Money
Now that your blog is live and you have begun promoting it, it’s time to consider implementing some blog monetization strategies.
Before you implement any of the blog monetization strategies outlined below, keep in mind that you need to create high-quality, useful, and relevant content for your audience. Without it, they won’t trust you enough to spend money on your blog and you will find it very hard to grow or monetize your audience.
Affiliate Marketing: Affiliate marketing is the process of recommending products and services to your audience and then getting paid a small commission for each sale generated. There are tons of weight loss affiliate programs that you can join to make money from your blog traffic. These include Amazon Associates, ClickBank, Shareasale, Weight Watchers, Healthy Wage, and more.
Consulting: As a weight loss blogger, you can make money by offering your services as a consultant. For instance, if you have the knowledge and skills to help busy women lose weight, that’s a side hustle that you can use to monetize your blog.
You can also offer services as an emotional guidance counselor for other individuals on their weight loss journey. Alternatively, you can offer advice specifically catered to individuals who want to find the best plan or program for them to lose weight.
Google Adsense: Ads are among the most intuitive ways to monetize a website. You can sign up with Google AdSense or one of its many alternatives and get paid a fee for every ad clicked on your blog. The money you earn from ads on your site grows as your traffic grows and this can turn into a nice stream of passive income over time.
Just make sure that you don’t overload your blog with ads, the way some weight loss bloggers do. If you have more ads than content on a page then you’re doing it wrong and it will hurt your credibility.
Selling Digital Products and Merch: Another lucrative way to monetize your blog is to sell weight-loss merchandise, such as fitness apparel, T-shirts, sneakers, etc. You can also create your own custom merch, e-books, video tutorials, cheat sheets on how to lose weight, and various other digital products and offer them up for sale on your website.
Some of the most profitable website blogs offer membership courses and premium content as a way to monetize their audiences.
Sponsored Posts: Also known as a promoted post, a sponsored post is a post that is explicitly sponsored as an ad by a particular company, individual, or brand. It’s basically an informal version of a paid ad or a more educational blog post.
Sponsored posts are a great way to monetize your audience while providing them with actual value in the form of information pertaining to relevant products and services that can help them on their weight loss journey.
Email List: As soon as your blog is live, you must start building your email list. Email marketing is one of the absolute best ways to monetize your blog, and the bigger your list grows, the more money you can make from it.
You can promote high-quality products and services to your email list, and because your subscribers already know you and trust that you provide value, they are more likely to purchase the products and services you recommend to them.
How to Start a Weight Loss Blog: The Final Word
Weight loss is an ever-growing niche and they are always opportunities for those with the knowledge and expertise to help others either lose weight or maintain their ideal weight. As you continue learning how to start a weight loss blog, use this article as your resource to help you get your blog off the ground and start making money doing something you enjoy.