What is your greatest passion in life? Food? Travel? Health?
Now wouldn’t it be great if you could make money writing about what you love? The truth is that you can.
The average income of a lifestyle blogger is over $5,000, according to SEM Rush. But I can tell you from personal experience that you could be making much more. Some successful lifestyle bloggers make over $100,000 in a single month!
Now with over 30 million bloggers in the US alone, it might seem like a lot of competition. And there is.
But if you know what you’re doing, you might just be able to quit your full-time job and blog about your own lifestyle.
Fortunately, the entire purpose of this article is to help you learn how to start a lifestyle blog and make money.
This guide is extremely DETAILED and explains everything you need to start a Lifestyle blog. I’ve been at this blogging stuff for over 8 years and have built a business making $20,000 per month, so I have a lot of helpful advice for you newbies out there.
How to Start a Lifestyle Blog in 10 Steps:
If you just need someone to walk you through setting up your blog quickly and easily, check out step 5.
Before we dive into how to start a lifestyle blog, let’s look at some of the reasons you should start one.
Reason #1: Let Your Voice Be Heard
One of the main reasons for starting a lifestyle blog is to share your opinions with an audience of like-minded individuals.
In addition, as a lifestyle blogger, you can create content inspired and curated from your daily activities and personal interests for your lifestyle blogging.
This makes a lifestyle blog the perfect tool to allow your voice to be heard.
Reason #2: Improve Your Writing Skills
Another reason for starting a lifestyle blog is to help you improve your writing skills. There’s a variety of topics that you can write about.
In addition to your lifestyle blogging, you can practice writing, interact with your readers, and read other fellow bloggers’ work, all of which will ultimately improve your writing skills.
Reason #3: Make Money
This is one of the main reasons why people choose to start blogs. And the reason many people decide to start lifestyle blogs, in particular, is because there are various ways to generate income from your blog.
You can make good money with the lifestyle blog if you follow blog monetization best practices.
Reason #4: Talk About the Products You Like
Your blog will likely be highly personalized to your location, stage in life, or life experience as a lifestyle blogger.
Either way, you can share your opinion on a wide range of topics, including discussing the products you like and sharing your opinion with your audience.
Reason #5: Resume Builder
If your lifestyle blog is a legitimate complement to your professional life, you can include it in your resume’s experience section under “Lifestyle Blogger.”
This is a great way to show your experience as a blogger and possibly in many other related areas.
Reason #6: Become an Influencer
Being a lifestyle blogger allows you to become an influencer in your chosen lifestyle blog niche.
In addition to writing for your own blog, you can also write for other popular publications or become a speaker. Alternatively, you can partner with businesses looking to make a difference in your industry.
So now that we’ve covered all the reasons you should start a lifestyle blog, let’s look at the ten steps to create a successful lifestyle blog.
1. Decide the Focus of Your Lifestyle Blog
The first step of understanding how to start a lifestyle blog involves deciding on the direction or focus of your blog.
Next, you need to find a way to position your blog to give you the best chance of success in today’s super-competitive blogging sphere.
Listed below are a few ideas that are possible ways to position your lifestyle blog. Use them for inspiration to help you choose the right direction for you.
The focus of your lifestyle blog can be on reviewing products that you have used. This is a beautiful way to share your thoughts and opinions on various products and services you have come across in the different aspects of your life.
Give Advice to Others
Lifestyle blogs are designed to help specific groups of people live fuller lives. If there is a topic that you love or one that you are knowledgeable about, then you can use your lifestyle blogging to advise on that topic.
You can write about your experiences and stories and share your ideas and beliefs to help your audience live the lifestyle you’re living.
Explain Experiences You’ve Lived Through
Yet another focus that you can choose for your blog is to explain the experiences you’ve been through, both positive and negative.
This can be one specific thing or a broad range of things you’ve lived through. By sharing experiences, you will help, guide, and advise others in your audience in writing blog posts that are experiencing the same situation.
Remember: The key to a successful blog, such as a lifestyle blog, is that it needs to reflect the person who creates it.
So, as a lifestyle blogger, you must be the subject of your new blog. You can choose from your passions, interests, and knowledge base, and once you’ve determined the focus or direction of your blog, it’s time to move on to the next step.
2. Choose Your Lifestyle Niche
Since lifestyle blogging is a broad niche, your blog ideas must focus on activities and interests. This differs from traditional blog niches that focus more on storytelling.
That is why the second step of how to start a lifestyle blog is choosing your niche. Once you’ve figured out your niche, you’ll have a good direction for choosing blog post ideas and topics.
There are many different niches or categories for lifestyle blogs you can choose like many lifestyle bloggers, some of which are listed below:
We are seeing a new generation of bloggers helping people worldwide find out about the latest trends in fashion with fashion advice. If this interests you, then you can choose this niche.
A food blog is a potentially lucrative niche with many exciting topics. This is your niche if you want to share recipes, information, or advice on food habits like other lifestyle bloggers. If you go this route, it may make sense to check out my guide to start a food blog.
Health & Fitness
Everyone wants to get fit and healthy, and if you choose this niche, you will never lack an audience. But, it’s important to note that this niche can also be super competitive.
Crafts, woodworking, fishing, and photography are just a few hobbies you can focus on for your lifestyle blog.
You can create a blog that features travel tips or combine a few of your passions by having a blog that features fashion and food worldwide. My list of travel blogger affiliate programs can help if you do this.
A finance blog gives you a platform to offer personal finance advice to help people save, invest, budget, or achieve financial freedom.
The home decor niche is perfect for inspiring those struggling to make style decisions in their home with ideas for interior design.
A gardening lifestyle blog is excellent if you love sharing garden plans, growing and renovating tips, gardening crafts, organic lifestyles, etc.
Mommy blogs are a fast-growing industry. People love reading blog drama on being a mom and the challenges it comes with it.
Thousands of moms come together online every day to share stories of the unfiltered side of motherhood.
A beauty blog is perfect if you like sharing the beauty and makeup tips with others. In addition, it will allow you to talk about and recommend products you love. Many lifestyle bloggers share their techniques and advice for beauty.
A self-care blog could be the right niche for you if you are passionate about helping people reduce overwhelm and avoid burnout and stress.
Some blogs focus on the beauty and imperfection of everyday family life. Your blog’s message can help other families face the trials.
This can include married life or parenting, etc. Again, this is a great niche to consider if you have experiences to share from your own family life.
Important Note: When you start your lifestyle blog, you must first choose one or two niches to focus on. If you start with too many, you’re likely to get overwhelmed.
Every blog article requires a lot of hard work, and the more niches you choose, the more topics you’ll have to cover. There are many lifestyle blogs on the internet, but with hard work and perseverance, your own blog can be one of the best lifestyle blogs there is!
Think of blogging as a blogging journey. Of course, you can always add lifestyle topics as you move through the trip, but starting, you should keep it simple.
Also, going too broad at the beginning may hurt your relevance. You need to make sure you have enough down to make it easier to attract an audience to your own lifestyle blog.
3. Choose Your Blogging Platform
Once you’ve chosen a niche (or two) for your lifestyle blog, it’s time to choose your blogging platform.
There are a lot of platforms for you to choose from, both free and paid. Some free platforms include Blogger, Wix, Squarespace, and WordPress.com, different from the premium, self-hosted blog platform, WordPress.org.
I recommend choosing the self-hosted WordPress blog platform, as this will offer you the best foundation for building a successful lifestyle blog.
Below are some reasons why you should choose WordPress over other blogging platforms:
Reasons to Choose WordPress for Lifestyle Blogging
- Over 35% of websites online use WordPress. This number continues to grow every year.
- WordPress websites get over 400 million visitors each month.
- There are over 600 WordPress websites that are created each day.
- WordPress offers 59,000 free plugins and paid plugins. It also provides 3,500 GPL licensed themes.
- There is a massive community of WordPress users and developers.
With each passing year, more and more people flock to WordPress for their blog creation needs.
WordPress offers excellent functionality and outstanding service compared to other alternatives mentioned here.
It’s tempting to go with a free blogging platform. They are easy to set up, and there are no initial start-up costs.
But, a free platform will cost you more in the long run in terms of its limitations.
If you’re not convinced, check out the following disadvantages of using a hosted blogging platform (and even more reasons why you should choose WordPress).
Drawbacks of Hosted Blogging Platforms
- Unprofessional Domain: If you use a hosted platform, the host’s domain will be tacked onto yours. So, instead of having a domain name like “MyAwesomeLifestyleBlog.com, “it will be “MyAwesomeLifestyleBlog.blogspot.com.”
- Lack of Control: With a free blogging platform, you have very little control over your blog. For instance, you are limited in the plugins you can download to expand the functionality of your website.
- Limited Features: Free blogging platforms have limited memory space, video time, and bandwidth. Having a free platform, free plugin, free domain name, and other free web hosting services for your blog post ideas will hinder you from success. This will limit your ability to grow and earn money on passive blog income.
- Few Monetization Options: With free platforms like Blogger and Wix, you have few options for advertising and other blog monetization methods. Furthermore, they can put their own ads on your site, making it look less professional.
- Lack of Support: With free blogging alternatives, you don’t get any technical support when you encounter issues with your site.
In contrast, web hosting using WordPress offers a professional domain and significantly more control over your blog.
You can download as many plugins as you want from the thousands of options available to premium WordPress users, allowing you to boost the capabilities of your website.
You’re also not limited in the free WordPress theme selection, and CSS functions, such as you would be on free blogging platforms.
You have more memory space, video time, and bandwidth, allowing you to get the best performance from your WordPress blog website.
Most importantly, you can monetize your new lifestyle blog in any way, as there are no limitations imposed on a self-hosted WordPress site blogging platform.
4. Decide Your Domain Name
Your next step in understanding how to start a lifestyle blog is to decide what your blog will be called. For example, a domain name like “MyAwesomeLifestyleBlog.com” is better than “MyAwesomeLifestyleBlog.blogspot.com.”
As an online reader, which site would you trust more? You would go with the more professional one, hence the importance of choosing the right platform and domain name for your blog.
Keep in mind that the name you choose will be your brand. So, take your time in making your decision.
Here are a few tips to help you find a perfect name for your lifestyle blog.
1. Get a.com Domain Name: You will find a lot of domain name extensions to choose from these days, including .blog, .travel, .lifestyle, etc. You can even get a .pizza extension!
But, stay away from these domains as they are just a source of confusion for the older and more tech-challenged internet users. Instead, stick with .com, as this is the domain extension everyone knows and will remember.
2. Choose a Broad Domain: If you choose a name that is too narrow, it limits your ability to expand your lifestyle blog in the future. For instance, if you choose a name like “TripstoBerlin.com,” you won’t be able to write about any other places that you may want to visit in the future.
3. Choose a Short Domain Name: Keep your name as short as possible. Shorter URLs are more accessible for people to remember and type into their browsers. Two to three words are ideal, but you can use up to four words if necessary.
4. Make Use of Alliteration: Alliteration refers to the use of two or more words that begin with the same letter or sound. This will make your domain name more memorable and accessible for your audience to recall. For instance, a name like “Teens and Tiaras” is hard to forget.
5. Use Creativity: Don’t give up if you find that the name you want is already taken. Get creative by using synonyms or other words with similar meanings. For instance, the travel blog name “Tales of a Hobo” might become “Tales of a Vagrant” or something like that.
6. Add Extra Words: If all else fails, you can try adding extra words to get the domain name you want. You can add words like ‘the,’ ‘at,’ etc. For instance, if you enjoyed the title “Basic to Bling” for your blog, you might get “From Basic to Bling” instead.
7. Come up with a Concept: Think of the concept around the name you want for your lifestyle blog. For example, how could your blog be branded, and how could it expand in the coming years? Coming up with the concept for your blog will help you develop original and unique names that you can use.
8. Try Name Generation Tools: If you are still failing to develop an excellent name for your lifestyle blog, many bloggers use a name generation tool like InstantDomainSearch or LeadDomainSearch to help you brainstorm great domain names.
9. Don’t Buy a Domain Name: If the name you want is already taken, you may be tempted to buy it for hundreds and even thousands of dollars.
Don’t do that. It’s certainly not worth it when you are just starting (as well as using free domain name).
Instead, use that money to help you create high-quality content for your website, and then when your blog is profitable, you may consider purchasing that domain name.
10. Don’t Get Stuck Here: This is the part where a lot of people get stuck while choosing a name for your self-hosted blog . They agonize for days, weeks, and even months on the perfect name for their blog and never move past this step.
Don’t let that happen to you. Instead, assign a couple of hours to complete this step and then move on to the next one, as many bloggers do.
5. Buy Your Domain Name and Hosting
Once you’ve decided what your blog will be, you must purchase your blog’s domain name and web hosting.
Your domain name is the address online that people will type to come to your lifestyle blog. For example, if your blog is called The Blonde Burger, your domain will be www.theBlondeBurger.com.
So, when someone types in your website URL, Bluehost (the host I recommend) will show your blog to the individual who searched for it.
I’ve created a step-by-step tutorial to walk you through the entire process of buying your domain name and hosting. You first need to click on this link to visit Bluehost and follow the tutorials below.
Below is a YouTube video and screenshots showing you the exact step-by-step process. Then, choose whatever tutorial that works best for you.
Step 1: If you haven’t yet, click on this link, and you’ll be brought to the WordPress Blog Hosting page you see below.
Step 2: You’ll be brought to the hosting plan page next. You could choose to get a “Plus” or “Choice Plus” plan, but that’s not a requirement.
The Startup plan is the cheapest at $3.95/month through my link vs. the normal $8.99/month.
This plan has everything you need including 50GB of webspace (plenty of room for your files), a free domain for a year, plus other standard features like a free SSL and security when you install WordPress.
Feel free to browse to decide on the right plan, but rest assured that Basic will work just fine if you want to minimize your investment.
Step 3: After clicking on the plan, you’ll be brought to the next page where you will type in your new domain, or you can choose “I’ll create my domain later” if you haven’t decided on one yet.
The domain is the URL people will type into a browser to view your website in the future. You can buy domains from many hosting services, including Bluehost and GoDaddy.
Step 4: The next page will ask for your information once you submit. That will start with your account information, which is self-explanatory.
Step 5: Next, you’ll have to input your Package Information. This is to choose how long you want the plan to go. I advise you to choose 24 months to get the discount and save some money, but you can go as low as 12 months.
Step 6: Next, you’ll have to choose what “Package Extras” you want. You can scroll over “More Information” to understand each of these items, but here is my advice.
I would get the “Domain Privacy + Protection.” This makes it so that no one can tie your name to the domain name you create.
The only other one worth considering is “Codeguard Basic.” The other two I wouldn’t personally get. But choose what is best for you.
Step 7: The next step is Payment Information, which is self-explanatory.
Step 8: The last signup step is to confirm that you read and understand the Bluehost Terms of Service, Cancellation Policy, and Privacy Notice. Click the check button and then click “Submit.”
Step 9: Next, you’ll be prompted to create an account and password. You’ll use this information to log in to the Bluehost platform to manage your site and account info.
Step 10: At this point, Bluehost puts you through a short questionnaire to better understand your scenario. You can answer all of these questions or click “Skip this Step” at the bottom. If you’re a newbie, I advise you to answer the questions as it’ll help your onboarding experience.
Step 11: After you’re done with that, you’ll be advised to choose a theme. For now, you can choose to use a free theme. But, of course, you can always replace the theme later if you’d like.
Step 12: You’ll be brought into the backend of WordPress in the admin panel. This is where you’ll manage your site from. You can add posts/pages as you see fit, but when you’re ready, click on the blue button that says “Launch Your Site.”
Step 13 (Final): Your blog is LIVE. Just go to a browser and type in your domain name. Once you do this, you’ll be able to access your website!
Congrats! You officially have a website.
If you’re wondering how to edit things on the website, all you have to do from here is go to your website URL with /wp-admin at the end in a browser and log in.
And don’t worry, we cover how to edit things more in the rest of this guide. So please continue reading.
6. Choose and Install WordPress Theme For Your Lifestyle Blog
Your next step is to choose and install a theme for your lifestyle blog. A theme is a piece of software that modifies how your blog looks.
It determines the layout of your homepage and all of your blog content. Therefore, it’s important to pick a good theme that is clean, well designed, and professional-looking.
Once you have your WordPress theme, you will be able to customize it to make it as appealing as possible to your target audience by choosing the right lifestyle blog niche.
On WordPress, you will find tons of free and paid themes that you can use on your new lifestyle blogging niche.
But, before you reach the first free theme you see for lifestyle blogs, keep in mind that free themes are not fully customizable, which means that your blog will look like a million others on the Internet.
If you want your lifestyle blog to stand out, you must purchase a premium theme from thousands of WordPress themes.
Here are some other benefits of choosing a premium theme over a free one:
Reasons to choose a Premium WordPress Theme
- Unique Designs: Paid WordPress blog themes offer slick, unique, and professional-looking designs.
- Mobile-Friendly: WordPress themes are fully responsive and look great on all devices.
- Enhanced Security: Most premium themes have built-in security designed to fight off malicious code.
- Customer Support: Paid WordPress themes also come with robust tech support, ideal for beginners or tech-challenged bloggers.
- SEO Friendly: A premium WordPress theme enhances your SEO for a great-performing, high-ranking website.
- User-Friendly: You can easily change your website to make the theme look the way you want without understanding HTML. You can also see every detail, such as statistics, growth, and more, from your WordPress lifestyle blog in your WordPress dashboard.
In contrast, free WordPress themes have generic templates. They’re typically not mobile-friendly and come with poor customer support and security.
In addition, some free themes have been known to come bundled up with some malicious code that could potentially harm your new blog.
Things to Consider When Choosing a Theme for Your Own Lifestyle Blog
When choosing a premium WordPress theme, there are certain factors that you should consider. The first one is the way you want your blog to look. You must have a general idea of the type of layout you want to use while lifestyle blogging and the brand colors you will use.
When you have a general idea of how you want your blog to look, picking great WordPress themes is easier.
Here are the factors you should look for in every great theme:
- Mobile Responsiveness
- Beautiful, Sleek Designs
- Easy Customization to Match Your Style
- Responsive Tech Support
- Great Reviews and Ratings
- Well-Known Brand with Longevity
To help you with the selection process, here are five theme options that are great for a lifestyle blog:
Theme Options for WordPress Lifestyle Blogs
I always recommend Thrive Theme Builder to people. Why? Because it’s completely customizable, you can adjust your blog to look exactly how you want by pointing/clicking instead of hiring a developer to help you be a successful blogger.
This blog was built using Thrive Theme Builder, and I’m thrilled. Long term? I think this is the most cost-effective theme you’ll find to have one of the most successful lifestyle blogs.
Click the image below to watch a video and learn more about Thrive Theme Builder.
And, if you’d like to watch an extremely detailed tutorial, you can watch this playlist on YouTube.
If you feel Thrive Theme Builder isn’t for you, here are other theme options perfect for a lifestyle blog.
- Astra Lifestyle Blog Themes – Astra is another highly-rated site builder, similar to Thrive Themes, but they have particular themes perfect for Lifestyle bloggers. Read my Astra Theme Review.
- Pico – Food and Lifestyle Blog Theme
- Trendion – A Personal Lifestyle Blog and Magazine WordPress Theme
- Broden – Lifestyle Blog / Magazine
- Buzz – Lifestyle Blog & Magazine WordPress Theme
- Authentic – Lifestyle Blog & Magazine WordPress Theme
The themes above are great options for a lifestyle blog. They offer all themes’ essential features, including beautiful design, speed, mobile-friendliness, and easy customization.
Good WordPress themes are also from well-known personal brands with tons of positive online reviews and ratings from happy users.
Once you’ve picked a WordPress theme you like, it’s time to build your blog. So move on to the next step, where we will create the essential pages for your new lifestyle blog.
You can add widgets to make your WordPress dashboard blog more interactive and user-friendly.
7. Create Essential Pages & Logo
This is one of the most important pages on your website. It is undoubtedly one of the most visited pages on most lifestyle blogs.
Your readers want to know you, so use this page to share information about who you are and what you’re all about.
Explain why people should follow your blog and do your best to make this part friendly and fun.
Let your personality show through so your readers know what to expect on your blog.
Since your lifestyle blog will focus on you, you must have a lovely-looking photograph of yourself on your About page.
Ideally, your contact page must include a variety of ways for your visitors to get in touch with you. For instance, you can have an email address, a contact form for visitors to fill out on the page, a telephone number, and a business address.
But, make sure you only use channels that you will monitor to always give timely responses to your audience’s questions, comments, and feedback to generate more blog traffic.
You might also include any other information that you think your visitors will find helpful, such as an FAQ section where you answer some of the most commonly asked questions so you can save them the trouble of sending an email and having to wait for the answer.
Create a Logo
Beyond that, it’s also an excellent time to focus on creating a logo for your lifestyle blog. There are many different ways to do this, but I’m a big fan of using this logo maker.
To get started, you can click here to create a blog logo. I think it’s a good idea to create a logo at this point now that your blog is all set up.
This platform will provide you with a free logo for your blog, and if you need high-resolution logo files, you can pay a very minimal amount for access to those files and a few other things.
Once you add these basic elements to your new blog, the real fun can begin – now, you can start blogging.
8. Begin Blogging
Before writing your first post, you need to choose a blogging category. For instance, say you are a beauty blogger. Some of your categories might include makeup, skincare, haircare, health and wellness tips, etc.
For each post that you write, you have to put it in a specific category when you publish it on your blog.
Here are some examples of categories for different lifestyle blogs across a more specific niche that most successful lifestyle bloggers do:
- Family Blog: Education, Marriage, Baby, Faith, Motherhood, Parenting, Relationships, Pets, Religion, Toys and Games, Wedding, University, etc.
- Food and Drink Blog: Cooking, Recipes, Events Planning, Wine, Cocktails, Parties, etc.
- Fitness and Health Blog: Exercise, Diet, Mental Health, Wellness, Weight Loss, Medical, etc.
- Style, Beauty, and Fashion Blog: Makeup, Haircare, Skincare, Health and Wellness Tips, etc.
- Home and Garden Blog: Decor, DIY, Crafts, Home Improvement, Interior Decoration, Homemaking, Gardening, Natural Living, Outdoors, etc.
When creating content, do your best to deliver as much value and information to your readers to be a successful lifestyle blogger.
But, avoid rambling on for too long as most people’s attention spans online are very short, which will increase the chances of them clicking away from your blog post.
So, the trick is to ensure your posts are long enough to deliver the relevant information but short enough to keep readers engaged until the end.
One way to maintain engagement throughout your post is to include many high-quality, visual content. For most people, this is easier to follow than the text on the page. So use plenty of short, engaging videos and crisp, high-definition images in your blog posts.
You’ll want to select a font style and color that is easily readable against your background and matches your theme on your own website.
Don’t make it harder for your reader to move through your blog article. Instead, find an easy-to-read font, and don’t go crazy with the coloring for your WordPress website.
And don’t forget search engine optimization for search engines and many social media platform.
SEO is the best way to get your new website found by your target audience online.
Best practices for SEO are constantly changing, and as a lifestyle blogger, you will have to stay on top of current trends to get your website ranked high in the search engines by doing keyword research.
Blogging Tip: Write 10 Posts Before Promoting Your Blog
The last thing you want is to invite people to check out your blog, only for them to find just one or two posts on your blog page.
You want your blog to look populated and professional.
So, before you hit publish, ensure you’ve got at least ten blog posts written and published so that your blog goes live. You start attracting viewers. There is enough lifestyle blog content for them to scroll through as well as enough variety to keep different segments of your audience engaged.
9. Promoting Your Lifestyle Blog
You’ve now created a lifestyle blog of your very own. But, your blog name can’t exist in a vacuum. To get your first visitors, as beginner bloggers do, you have to begin promoting your blog to get it in front of the eyes of your target audience.
Below are some of the ways to start bringing visitors to your site from experienced bloggers:
1. Tell Family and Friends: The first thing you should do after your blog is live is shared it with your friends and family. Ask them to check out your blog and share it with their own networks to increase your exposure after you write content that engages audience.
2. Leverage Social Media: You can use many ways to get people to check your new lifestyle blog. However, few are as effective as social media. With the right strategy, the posts on your new blog will never go unread.
Whenever you publish a blog post, always share it on social media. Use snippets or sections from the content to entice your target readers to click through and read the rest of your post.
3. Send Emails: As a lifestyle blogger, you should start building your own email list of subscribers on your blog.
But, in the beginning, you can use the resources you already have. Send emails to your existing contacts with a link to your blog. Ask them to visit your blog and share it with their own contacts. And remember to add links to your blog and your email signature. Speaking of email signatures, if you’re looking to make yourself appear more professional as you build your blog, consider researching more about how to create a professional email signature.
4. Share on Forums: You can join forums and online communities such as Miss Pettigrew Review or the Parent Bloggers Network, where you can share your new blog with a ready-made audience of like-minded individuals.
Ask people to check out your blog and share feedback, comments, and suggestions for the type of content they would love to see on your blog (in the future, you can also use content management systems for your website).
5. Share on Groups: Like the tip above, you can also share your new lifestyle blogs with a link on Facebook or LinkedIn groups and other social media channels.
You can meet and talk to like-minded bloggers and read other blogs to help you understand your audience more and grow as a blogger.
Connect with people interested in the topics you write about on your blog and ask them to visit your blog. Some popular groups you can post on include The Lifestyle Team, Entrepreneur Lifestyle, Wandering Women Travel Bloggers, etc.
6. SEO: Search engine optimization is the primary driver of traffic to most lifestyle blogs. You must consistently implement excellent SEO practices from the first post you publish.
This is undoubtedly the best way to bring new visitors to your blog and use search engines to generate traffic, but it does take time to start seeing a steady stream of traffic, so you have to be patient while putting in consistent effort.
7. Advertise on Other Sites: A great tactic to use while waiting for your SEO efforts to take effect is to advertise on other lifestyle blogs in your chosen niche.
Although many other bloggers shy away from spending money on advertising, this can be a great way to bring a flood of traffic to your blog and start building an audience of your own latest blog posts. Alternatively, you can guest post on popular sites in your niche to reach broad new audiences.
8. Advertise on Social Media: The audience you want for your lifestyle blogs is already online, but you may have to pay to draw their focus and attention away from other interests and your blog.
By advertising your posts on social media, you will be able to bring more traffic to your blog and grow your email list significantly faster than you would if you relied only on organic traffic generation strategies.
10. Start Making Money
And now, the part that many have been waiting for when trying to understand how to start a lifestyle blog – monetizing your blog. Below are some examples of different ways you can start making money with your blog:
Affiliate marketing is great for beginners and is used by many online business. You don’t need to have a huge audience to start making money. The trick is to have an engaged audience that fits whatever product you promote on your lifestyle blog.
One of the easiest ways for beginner lifestyle bloggers to monetize other blogs is Google AdSense. It’s straightforward to set up and maintain, and you can add other ad networks and sell ad space later once you’re getting a steady stream of traffic.
Selling Your Products
You can also sell your products on your lifestyle blog, such as crafts, apps, clothing, bags, organic shampoo, books, recipes, art, photographs, etc. A lifestyle blog that makes money from selling its products is Tone it Up. This healthy lifestyle blog sells its apparel, protein, and app.
As a lifestyle blogger you can do sponsored post. You can work with brands to promote their products in your sponsored posts and market them to your audience. In return, the brands will compensate you with money and free products.
Read my full blog post for more information on making money blogging.
How to Start a Lifestyle Blog: The Final Word
Starting a lifestyle blog doesn’t have to be an overwhelming experience, particularly if you have a simple, step-by-step process to follow.
If you’re ready to share your knowledge and experiences with the world, use this article as your resource to help you get started right now building and growing a successful and profitable lifestyle blog.
You can always take additional steps from here to set up your business properly in the area where you live. In most states, this would require the formal creation of a sole proprietorship and getting a registered agent (which is a requirement in many states for the business formation).
But don’t get hung up on all the legal issues. Focus most of your time on creating an online presence and do the absolute bare minimum to satisfy legal requirements so you can write off your business expenses as you grow.