In order for most non-profits to succeed, they need to consistently fundraise and find new volunteers to support their philanthropic efforts. The best way to do both is to create a website with everything people need to know about the nonprofit — including how to donate and volunteer.
Effective websites for nonprofits include information about the nonprofit, work that the nonprofit has done, onsite donation pages, volunteer information, and a blog to keep donors and volunteers updated.
Putting together a website may sound like a lot of work, but it doesn’t have to be. If you use one of the best website builders for nonprofits, you can increase the chances of receiving more donations and gathering new volunteers with little hassle based on your online presence alone.
Take a look at my guide to find out which website builder is best for your nonprofit organization.
What is the Best Website Builder For Nonprofits?
Some of the website builders listed here are general-purpose site builders with templates built specifically for nonprofit organizations.
These site builders also have integrations with many of the apps and tools required by nonprofits, including social media integration, blogging and forum tools, etc.
You’ll also find site builders that are designed specifically for helping nonprofits build unique websites with all the necessary tools required to run a successful organization, including on-site fundraising, supporter engagement, events ticketing, and registration, and much more.
Your choice will depend on the diverse needs of your particular organization.
A powerful website to create pages that drive action in minutes ($29/month).
With this website builder, you’ll be able to quickly set up pages for petitions, donations, events, sign-ups, and anything else associated with your nonprofit organization.
All the pages can be automatically synced with your database, and there are integrations for social media that will make it easy for supporters to share your message on their own networks.
This system will help you save time and allow your entire team to collaborate easily so everyone can see a clear picture of your organization’s donors and supporters.
You’ll be able to drive online event turnout, collect RSVPs, check attendees for online meet-ups, and much more. The platform also makes it easy for you to harness user-created content which will help you boost brand awareness and widen your reach.
- Full Customizability: You can choose from over 80 integrations and apps to fully customize your organization’s website.
- Volunteer Management: You can create customizable pages for your volunteers that can be easily shared with their communities.
- Email and Text Segmentation: The platform lets you use sophisticated tags and filters to identify relevant supporters for text and email blasts.
Pros of NationBuilder:
- Enable monthly and annual payments
- Process donations online (with special rates for nonprofits)
- Easily import data from different sources into one system
- Personalize funding texts and emails
- Affordable prices for nonprofit organizations
Plans for NationBuilder start at $29/month. This includes a website with integration for a database with up to 5,000 contacts, as well as payment information processing, events ticketing, and email blasts functionality.
What Are People Saying?
- “Great for an advocacy-focused nonprofit; leaves something to be desired for fundraising. I love the interconnectedness of NationBuilder; you can track all the interactions that you or anyone else on staff or volunteers are having with an individual in your database, whether it’s through a system email or text, call, etc.” Rachel S. – Senior Development Manager.
A website builder with the best editing features for nonprofit organizations and a TON of templates ($14/month).
While Wix is not a nonprofit-centric website builder, don’t let that put you off as the platform has a lot of powerful features that are useful for nonprofit organizations.
The platform is extremely easy to use, which makes it perfect for beginners with no technical knowledge or experience.
You’ll also find tons of templates to choose from, many of which are designed specifically for nonprofit organizations. You can easily customize the templates to match your brand and integrate a wide range of tools for blogging, memberships, donations, and much more.
- Membership Features: Wix is a convenient platform for organizations that want to develop and manage different membership projects.
- Blogging Features: The platform has robust blogging capabilities so you can connect with and engage your audience.
- Multilingual Websites: If your nonprofit organization needs to create different language versions of your website, Wix can help you do that easily.
Pros of Wix:
- Wide range of nonprofit website templates
- Plugins, widgets, and add-ons available in the Wix app market
- User friendly, full design customization options
- Add a forum to your website
- Extremely affordable pricing
- Free, basic plan easily upgradable
- Use custom domain name (html or htmls)
Wix has a free plan for nonprofit organizations, which is a great option if you want to test out the features of the website builder. However, to unlock more functionality, you’ll need to upgrade to one of the paid plans which start at $14/month.
What Are People Saying?
- “Wix is easy to use even for those of us who are not experienced in web design. If you’re creating a DIY website, you can have one up and running with Wix in a short while. The drag and drop editor lets you easily place elements where you’d like them to be. The tools are self-explanatory-no need to guess what the buttons are for. Setting up and managing an online store is easy with a premium plan. The e-commerce feature is excellent for selling digital or physical products.” Cris S.
A website builder tailored to the needs of nonprofit organizations (Starts from Free).
For most people, creating a website from scratch or redesigning a current website can seem like a daunting challenge. But, with a website builder like WildApricot, you can be up and running in minutes.
This website builder is built with ease-of-use in mind. It has an intuitive editor and dozens of fully customizable nonprofit website templates where you can drag and drop different elements, such as text, images, and videos onto the page.
You can then customize the content, fonts, logo, color scheme, etc. to personalize your new website and truly make it your own.
You can manage your entire organization from one place thanks to powerful tools (both built-in tools and integrations) that will allow you to automate and simplify a variety of marketing tasks, membership tasks, and much more.
- Membership Widgets: The website builder makes it very easy for you to embed membership applications onto your website.
- Blogs and Forums: You can easily interact with your community and stay connected with supporters thanks to the powerful blog and forum functionality.
- Mobile-Friendly Themes: WildApricot lets you build optimized websites that offer advanced customization for a truly unique, high-performing site.
Pros of WildApricot:
- Powerful membership management software
- Unlimited expert support to aid in site design
- Embed donation forms to any page
- Fully customizable event calendars
- Widgets for members-only content
- A diverse range of plans perfect for small businesses, franchises, and more
You can get started with WildApricot for free. However, to unlock more powerful features and functionality, you’ll have to sign up for one of the paid plans which start at $48/month. The platform offers free trials for all premium plans.
What Are People Saying?
- “As soon as we switched from Memberize to Wild Apricot, we began to sell out our ski trips in record time. I love how I can automate the event confirmation emails and financial transactions.” Gary Rubens – Webmaster, Budget & Finance Committee Chair, Ski Club of Washington D.C.
Custom website builds, ideal for nonprofits that want unique designs ($99/month).
Moreweb offers the right mix of design, structure, and software, as well as a knowledgeable support team to help you manage and grow your online presence. You get all of this and more under one roof, which is convenient for busy nonprofit organizations.
You also get CMS functionality and you can add, edit, share, and manage everything on your website easily.
No technical experience is needed, which means you’ll be able to save time and focus more on important things like engaging and interacting with your audience.
In short, this platform lets you build a unique, professional-looking website and easily update it with fresh content on a regular basis with none of the hustle or frustration.
- Responsive Websites: With Moreweb, you’ll be able to quickly build a website that is responsive and looks great on all devices.
- Powerful, Customizable Modules: The platform has a wide range of add-on modules that will help you add extra functionality to your website.
- Simple Website Editor: Updating your website will be a breeze with Moreweb’s Live Editor which allows you to just click and start typing or drag-and-drop elements.
Pros of Morweb:
- Intuitive online donation forms
- Event ticketing and registration
- Private pages and intranet
- Member directory and map
- eCommerce functionality with payment providers like Stripe
Moreweb has plans built for organizations of all sizes and requirements. You can get all the essential tools for your nonprofit starting from $99/month, including a CMS with Live Editor, responsive website themes, analytics dashboard, and integration for donation forms, social media, and various other tools.
What Are People Saying?
- “On behalf of the Community Foundation of Sarasota County, I can strongly recommend Moreweb for enhancing your current or future website. We chose to work with Moreweb due to its CMS software, which is simple to maneuver and learn, giving novices like myself the tools to make complicated updates to web pages with ease.” Hunter Carpenter – Community Foundation of Sarasota County.
A great platform for nonprofits that want to include interactive content (Starts from Free).
Interactivity is the future of web design and Weld is a website builder that allows you to create and add visual, animated, and interactive content to your nonprofit’s website.
You can publish on your existing site with a single click. You can also analyze the content, run A/B tests, and schedule content with ease. There is a free-form design tool that anyone can use even with no coding knowledge.
The platform also lets you collaborate with your team easily when publishing content on the web, email, or social media.
If visuals are important to your nonprofit, this is a great platform for you to consider that will let you build impressive web campaigns and add hero content on your homepage, and much more.
- Engaging, Interactive Content: Weld allows you to create beautiful, animated content that will encourage visitors to stay longer on your pages.
- Publish Quickly: You can launch and publish new campaigns in just minutes with the platform’s simple yet powerful content creator.
- Analytics and Reporting: Weld makes it easy to conduct high-tempo testing and analyze the data so you can make improvements for better performance.
Pros of Weld:
- Content creation
- Campaign management
- Conversion tracking
- Editorial calendar
- Data import/export
Pricing for Weld starts at $100/month. There’s no free version, but you can sign up for a free trial on the website.
What Are People Saying?
- “Easy way to create websites without coding. Weld gives you the ability to create a page quickly, without knowing the code, which is the biggest advantage of this solution. Subsequent content editing is possible without CMS implementation. The drag and drop mechanism is great!” Maciej M. – Web developer.
A powerful platform designed to help you build a mission-driven website ($95/month).
This website builder is designed for nonprofits of all sizes. It has all the features you need to help you develop your brand, identify your purpose, and accomplish your mission.
You’ll be able to build a website that looks as good and as unique as your brand does. The platform also has a web development team that will showcase your organization in the best possible light with eye-catching website pages and campaign landing pages that will elicit action from your visitors.
You also get search engine optimization features to help you get found online, as well as a mobile app that will allow you to add and edit the content so you can manage your website on the go.
- Jumpstart Your Marketing and Engagement: Firespring lets you activate your marketing programs quickly so you can start seeing results as soon as you’re live.
- Robust Analytics Feature: You can analyze your website traffic to get a good idea of how to improve and optimize your overall user experience.
- Powerful Integrations: There is a wide range of tools and apps that you can integrate into your nonprofit’s website to maximize your impact.
Pros of Firespring:
- Website design and programming
- Website strategy and planning from experts
- Search engine optimization features
- Powerful third-party integrations
- Unique marketing campaign landing pages
What Are People Saying?
- “We have been a Firespring client for many years. I am constantly impressed by the personal relationships we have with the staff. Firespring is about problem-solving and it shows the commitment they have to do good things in the world.” Wendy Van – President, Foundation for Lincoln Public Schools.
A website builder for high-impact nonprofit organizations (Pricing not disclosed).
This is a nonprofit web builder that also offers web design services. If you already have a website, the designers on the platform will evaluate it and help you to redesign and rebuild it to help you achieve your organization’s goals more effectively.
If you’re creating a new website, there are dozens of expertly designed nonprofit website templates to choose from and you can easily customize each of them to match your brand.
There are also tools to help you create a powerful content strategy, as well as manage your social media and email integrations.
You’ll also be able to easily monitor your performance to find ways for improving your website’s user experience for optimal results.
- Convenient Turnkey Solution: Blackbaud is uniquely dedicated to providing all the tools needed by mission-driven organizations.
- Reliable Hosting: You’ll have the peace of mind of knowing that your website builder meets accessibility standards and is hosted in a PCI-compliant environment.
- Budget-Friendly Plans: The platform offers different solutions to fit nonprofit organizations of every size so you can drive ROI from the first day.
Pros of Blackbaud:
- In-depth user guides and training portals for beginners makes nonprofit web design a breeze
- Video library with quick demos of websites
- Easy to use drag-and-drop page builder for headers, footers, body, and more
- Integrated and fully customizable contact forms
- SEO features for quick ranking
Blackbaud doesn’t disclose pricing for its website packages. But, you can request a demo on the website, after which you’ll find out about the different plans.
What Are People Saying?
- “We’ve had a lot of changes in the last couple of years. A number of budget cuts have forced us to think about how to do more with less. First and foremost, you need great folks on your team; then you have to think about the system you’re using. Blackbaud Financial Edge NXT represents the engine for our department, so everything feeds into it.” Michael Bradley – Chief Financial Officer.
8. Wired Impact
Build and manage an effective nonprofit website with no additional costs ($69/month).
If you are focused on nonprofit fundraising, then Wired Impact may be the perfect website builder for you.
The platform offers a simple drag-and-drop backend editor that makes it easy even for complete beginners to create attractive and unique websites.
This site builder fills the gap between generic DIY website builders and high-end agency rebuilds to provide you with everything you need to create a high-impact site and an affordable price.
The website builder is powered by WordPress and designed solely for known nonprofits, which means you get all the tools and support you need for your organization without the need of having to integrate third-party tools.
Of course, if you want to, you still have the ability to connect other apps and tools you need, but the platform takes care of everything from volunteer management and event registration, to donor management systems, and much more.
- Robust Functionality: Wired Impact really shines in the nonprofit space by providing all the features required to run your organization.
- Full Flexibility: The platform balances flexibility with ease so you can tailor a website that is unique and showcases your brand in the best light.
- Affordable Pricing: This website builder is designed to take care of all your nonprofit’s needs at an affordable price.
Pros of Wired Impact:
- Online donations
- Blogging features
- Email sign-ups makes email marketing easy
- Payment processors
- Third-party integrations and plugins
- Easily add a donate button to any page
- Great content management system with WordPress
Wired Impact has three different pricing plans, starting with the Core plan which costs $69/month and is perfect for newer nonprofits that want to build awareness for their cause.
What Are People Saying?
- “Wired Impact has been such a pleasure to work with over the years, where they’ve partnered with us on not one, but two distinct websites. I can’t say enough about their professionalism, web design and online marketing expertise, attention to detail, response time, and most importantly passion for working with nonprofits.” Mary Korba – Martha’s Vineyard Community Services.
- Site123: A website builder with custom discounts for nonprofits.
- GoDaddy: An easy-to-use, affordable nonprofit site builder.
- Shopify: A nonprofit website builder with powerful eCommerce features.
- uKit: The cheapest website builder for organizations on a budget.
- Bluehost: Affordable web hosting for nonprofits.
- Ucraft: A free website builder with templates designed specifically for charities.
- Jimdo: An easy drag-and-drop builder ideal for nonprofits.
- IM Creator: The perfect site builder for high-impact organizations.
- Squarespace: Build a perfect nonprofit site with many great marketing tools.
- Weebly: A leading website builder great for nonprofits of all sizes.
What Features to Look For in a Website Builder For Nonprofits
Choosing a website builder for your nonprofit organization doesn’t have to be hard. All you need to do is look for the most important features that will allow you to build and maintain your website in the quickest and most effective way possible.
Here are some of the things to look for:
1. Affordable Pricing: It’s crucial to choose a website builder that not only fulfills your needs but also comes at an affordable price So you don’t waste your hard-earned funds on complicated or expensive website builders.
2. Easy integration: The website builder you choose should be easy to integrate with other tools and apps to make it easy for you to run your organization.
3. SEO Capabilities: Your website builder must have at least the basic SEO functionalities that will allow you to start ranking your website as soon as it’s live.
4. Accessibility: This is something that is increasingly important in today’s world, and you need to choose a website builder that will allow you to build an accessible website.
5. Customizable Forms: From registration forms to contact forms and everything in between, make sure your website builder makes forms easily accessible.
6. Calendars and Reminders: Your website builder should have built-in functionality (or at least easy integration) for calendars, standard reminders, and SMS Reminders.
How Can a Website Builder Help a Nonprofit Organization?
A website builder can help your nonprofit organization by providing all the tools necessary to create a prominent presence online.
You already know how important first impressions are for gathering support and funds for your cause.
That’s why you need a website builder that will help you create a high-quality, attractive site with all the necessary features, including CRM, eCommerce, on-site donations, events registration, events ticketing, blogging, forums, social media integrations, private pages, and much more.
With the right website builder, you don’t have to work hard trying to piece together all these different elements. Everything can be done in one place thanks to built-in tools and easy third-party integrations so you and your team can run your organization from one convenient place.
A website builder makes it possible to do all of this and more without having to learn how to code or develop websites.
Best of all, website builders take away the need for hiring expert web developers, making it affordable for organizations of all sizes to create and launch professional websites with all the functionality needed.
Website Builder For Nonprofits FAQ
What Pages Are a Requirement for a Nonprofit?
The pages of your nonprofit website will differ according to your specific needs. However, you might consider including some of the following:
- An “About Us” page
- A mission statement
- A sign-up page with a form for volunteers to sign up
- A contact page
- A blog to share updates with your audience
- And events page
It’s also a great idea to include an “Overview” page where you showcase the work your organization has already accomplished. You can add more pages or elements to your website as you see fit.
How Can I Accept Payments on my Website?
The nonprofit-centric website builders on this list have inbuilt tools you can use to accept donations on your website.
The rest of the general-purpose website builders allow you to integrate third-party tools, such as a GoFundMe campaign page, PayPal request page, or other external donation pages so you can easily collect donations online.
But of course, if you are already building a website for your nonprofit organization, it may be better to simply accept donations on-site rather than sending donors to external pages, which would likely drop your conversion rates.
Why Does a Nonprofit Need a Website?
A nonprofit organization needs a website so it can build brand awareness and develop trust with the audience.
Your nonprofit’s website determines whether or not someone commits to supporting your cause or if they take their support somewhere else.
According to The Millennial Impact Report, 90% of millennials say that they would stop donating to an organization if they distrust it. That’s why it’s crucial to have a well-designed website that will highlight the impact and trustworthiness of your nonprofit organization.
What Should a Nonprofit Website do?
A nonprofit website should have event calendars, online member registration, and payment functionalities. It should allow you to easily integrate a blog, social media, directories, members-only pages, and various other features your website needs to connect and engage with potential and current supporters.
By now, it may be clear to you that there isn’t a single website builder that is “best” for all nonprofit organizations.
But, depending on your needs, you’ll be able to find one that works perfectly for you on our list of the best website builders for nonprofits.
My number one recommendation is NationBuilder. It’s a powerful website-building platform with all the tools you need to build a custom, unique nonprofit website.
If you’re looking for a more affordable, beginner-friendly site builder, Wix is a great option to choose. You can get started for free and try out the platform’s different features to see whether or not it’s a good fit for your organization.