Reaching your congregation in the 21st century requires a lot more than just a great sermon. You also need a stunning website that allows future parishioners to discover your church easily while allowing current church members to stay up-to-date with their favorite services. For reverends, priests, pastors, and anyone else who needs to get their church online, my team and I have compiled this list of the best website builders for churches.
Recently, I moved from Illinois to Nevada. One of the most complex parts of the move was leaving my church community back in Chicago. Fortunately, there are many churches in Las Vegas.
But figuring out which church was best for me was a predicament. So, I did what most people would do: I went to Google and began looking up churches.
After a couple of hours of research, I found several churches that reflected my values and way of worship. So today, I’ve found a new church and couldn’t be happier.
Sadly, there may have been many other churches out there that I just didn’t know about because of a lack of online presence.
Without a website, it’s challenging for churches to be discovered. And that pulls at my heartstrings as most churches want to impact the community positively.
So I decided to make this guide to help churches find the best website builders. Many of these are designed specifically for churches and allow you to create pages for all church ministries.
In addition, they will enable you to upload sermons, develop platforms for tithing, blog about the latest activities at your church, and much more.
So without further ado: here are the best website builders for churches:
What are the Best Church Website Builders?
Before we dive into the church website builders that will help you spread God’s word in 2021, you must note that there are two different types of site builders that I will be introducing today.
Some are general website builders with church templates, and others are church-specific website builders focused only on building and creating content for church websites.
Best overall website builder for churches ($2.90/month w/ Exclusive Discount)
Zyro is one of the newest additions to the website building industry. Owned by Hostinger, this platform is a powerful and affordable tool for building unique church websites.
It’s a relatively simple yet best church website builder that focuses on ease of use. All you have to do is register an account, buy a subscription, and choose the church website template.
Alternatively, with Zyro – the most popular website builder for churches, you can let the AI generate one for you in just a few minutes and then start customizing it to suit your tastes.
- Free Logo Maker: Zyro comes with a free logo maker that you can use to create a logo for your church website.
- AI Writer: This feature can help you populate your website text within just minutes. Simply pick a topic, enter a few keywords, and the system will write your content for you.
- Heat Map Tool: The platform has advanced algorithms for analyzing your site, so you know where visitors spend most of their time.
Pros of Zyro:
- Full eCommerce functionality
- Image slideshow feature
- Drag-and-drop functionality
- Great page loading speed
- 24/7 live customer support
Zyro’s plans are among the most affordable in the industry. For just $2.90/month, you can set up and launch a personal website.
They also have unlimited bandwidth, unlimited storage, a free domain for a year, free email tools for three months, SSL security, and you can connect your custom domain, among other features.
Or read my in-depth Zyro Review
Best website builder for overall ease of use ($14/month)
Wix is the first of our website builder options that is not church-specific. However, don’t let that put you off. It’s the all-in-one best church website builder, and it comes with amazing-looking templates to help you build a functional website for your church.
You can use add-on features to get the functionality you want from your website. For instance, you can use Wix Music to create a page where sermons can be streamed and downloaded.
You can also add other church-specific features from the Wix site builder for online donations, streaming, events, and calendars, among many others.
- Well-Established Platform: Wix website builder has a proven history, and the company continues to provide excellent service to its users.
- Professional Church Templates: The platform has a wide range of pre-programmed church website templates, so you don’t have to build from scratch.
- ECommerce Features: If your church already has a gift shop, Wix’s online store feature, Wix Stores, is a great way to make your shop digital.
Pros of Wix:
- Built-in calendar for important church dates
- Ability to accept donations securely
- Stream or download sermons from your website
- Newsletter option keeps congregation up to date
- Prebuilt contact form so visitors can get in touch
Wix has a free plan with a free domain name, but it comes with Wix Branding and ads. If you want to remove them, you can sign up for a premium plan at $14/per month.
Best templates for church-based webpages ($12/month)
Squarespace is an all-in-one website builder that can be a great fit for churches that want an easy way to design, create, launch, and manage their website.
This is one of the most recommended platforms in the industry, and it will allow you to build a functional, modern-looking church website in just minutes.
Choose from one of the many attractive and sophisticated website templates, and you can drag and drop elements to customize it to your preferences.
Squarespace already has many unique church-focused features, including mission pages, donation pages, volunteering pages, online giving, etc. You need to fill those pages in with your personalized content and hit publish to take your church website live.
- Ideal for Blogging: If you intend to run a church blog, Squarespace is the perfect platform.
- Beautiful, Responsive Templates: You can find many customizable templates for church websites that look great on any device, unlike other church website builders.
- Donation Feature: The platform has a responsive Donation Block that you can add to any website page so visitors can donate easily with PayPal or Stripe.
Pros of Squarespace:
- Excellent uptime of 99.99%
- Wide range of add-on features to choose from
- Professionally designed templates for church websites
- Easy social media integration
- Great mobile functionality
Best for churches that need an eCommerce platform (Starts from Free)
Weebly is among the best website builders for churches regarding functionality. Although the template offering isn’t as impressive as the other website builders, they are all 100% customizable, which means you can still create a unique website aligned with your church brand.
- Easy to Use: One thing that makes Weebly stand out from the rest is its simplicity and ease-of-use thanks to its powerful drag-and-drop builder.
- Collaborative Features: If there are multiple developers on your team, the platform has all the features that make it easy for different users to edit your church site at once.
- Video Hosting Service: This website-building platform is also great for hosting live and prerecorded videos.
Pros of Weebly:
- Customizable forms for collecting church RSVPs
- Built-in live chat for visitor interaction
- Site Booster app from Weebly to get found on Google
- Modern and sleek church website templates to choose from
- A personal plan comes with 500 GB of storage space, while professional plans have unlimited storage
Weebly is the best free website builder for churches. But, the Professional plan, which costs $12/month, is a better option for churches as it is explicitly designed with features for groups and organizations.
Best website builder built just for churches ($25/month)
ShareFaith has multiple faith-based resources that you can use to help you build a unique and attractive church website.
In addition to website building tools, you also get management tools and apps that will make your job a lot easier.
Features include tithe collection, presentation software, mobile apps, and more.
This platform is a goliath concerning church website builders specifically focused on building church websites.
- Easy Drag-And-Drop Editor: ShareFaith for church website makes it easy to add blocks containing content, image, video, etc., to any page.
- Podcast Feature: There is an excellent podcast feature that you can regularly update with sermons to keep your congregation engaged.
- Church-Specific Templates: All the templates on this website building platform are geared toward faith-based organizations.
Pros of ShareFaith:
- Options for sharing video or audio sermons
- Variety of additional apps and services for churches
- Huge library of training videos and tutorials
- Optional worship software and vacation Bible school
- All website templates are preloaded with church-specific features
You can create a demo website to try ShareFaith for free. Then, if you decide it’s a good fit for your church, you can upgrade to the premium plans, which start at just $25/month.
Best support team for church-specific needs ($57/month)
Ministry Designs is in a league of its own concerning the support the company offers to its customers.
Instead of simply providing a DIY website builder, the team on the platform does everything possible to help you build a beautiful church website that will appeal to every member of your audience.
There are a ton of professionally designed website templates that you can choose from, and the controls and customization features are easy to use than other website builders.
With the simple drag-and-drop editor, you can build and customize a church website in just minutes and add additional features such as donation collection, long-term sermon storage, etc.
- Church-Specific Services: All the members of Ministry Designs have a background in the ministry, which means they know what works well and what doesn’t.
- Drag-And-Drop Customization: Simply pick a template and then use the editor to drag text, images, and other elements onto your page.
- Screen-Sharing Customer Support: You will be able to build your website and resolve issues quicker and easier with experienced support staff on hand.
Pros of Ministry Designs:
- Unrivaled 24/7 support through various channels with free web hosting
- Free plan and demo account to showcase features (with free hosting in the demo)
- Church-tailored service with preloaded themes
- Secure online platform to collect and accept donations
- Features to send newsletters to your congregation
Ministry Designs offers a free demo to show you what the platform provides. If you decide to upgrade, plans start at $57/month for the website builder.
Easy to manage church-specific website builder ($370/year)
Church123 prides itself on bringing efficiency and simplicity to building a church website.
With this platform, you can create and launch a website in just three easy steps.
First, browse, click, and select one of the ready-made website themes optimized and compatible with all devices and browsers.
Next, use the easy drag-and-drop editor to play around with the selected theme and customize the colors, fonts, layout, etc., to your liking.
The last step is to customize the different pages, adding text, images, videos, etc. Once that’s done, you’re ready to launch your new church website.
- Streamlined Site Builder: Church123 has an efficient website-building process that allows you to launch your site in just three steps.
- Limitless Pages: This website builder allows you to create unlimited pages and upload as much content as possible.
- Additional Apps: There are a ton of apps and tools that you can add to your website to extend its functionality, including Sunday school, and to accept donations online, etc.
Pros of Church123:
- A streamlined site-building process helps you save time
- Easily customizable church website templates
- Unlimited pages and posts
- Ready-made contact forms for visitors
- Highly experienced customer support team
Church123 offers a free plan and trial, and you can upgrade to the paid plan at $95 paid quarterly or $370 paid annually.
Best “Giving Feature” for church websites ($19/month)
Tithe.ly is a powerful website builder that is specifically geared for church websites. This platform does all the hard work for you, so you don’t have to.
It’s a complete online system that will help you build and run an effective church website.
The powerful yet straightforward drag-and-drop editor means you don’t have to learn code to create your own custom church website and communicate your message.
As one of the best church website builders, over 25,000 churches in more than 50 countries are currently being used by this platform.
In addition, you can use eight currencies on Tithe.ly, making it ideal for churches with a global audience to receive donations and organize events online.
- ChMS (Church Management Software): Build a solid and engaged community around your church with all-inclusive ChMS on the platform.
- Unique Websites: Create stunning, custom church websites in just minutes, including live streaming, sermon-player, and other built-in features.
- Giving Feature: This is a complete giving platform designed for churches and ministries to collect donations offline and online.
Pros of Tithe.ly:
- Powerful all-in-one church website builder
- Responsive and beautiful church templates
- Live streaming feature for online ministries
- Embedded sermon media player
- Built-in events calendar
Tithely comes with many different apps to help you build an effective church website. These include giving, ChMS, messaging, events, and website building apps.
To get access to all of them costs $59/month with a $149 setup cost. So, for example, you’ll pay $19/month and a $149 setup fee for just the website builder app.
Best website builder for hosting church sermons ($99/month)
Nucleus is the last church-specific website builder on our list of the ten best website builders for churches.
The platform is highly beginner-friendly, which means you don’t need any prior experience to start building your church website. Click and drag to create pages and add content.
You can choose from the many predesigned layouts and simply swap in your content rather than create a page from scratch.
The website templates are clean and modern and have been proven to encourage website visitors to take action – from online giving to signing up for your newsletter, downloading sermons, etc.
- Beginner-Friendly Platform: Nucleus’ platform stands out for its ease of use, making it ideal for beginners.
- Mobile-Friendly Templates: The templates on the platform transfer from desktop to mobile devices viewing quickly, a feature that on-the-go members will appreciate.
- Advanced Sermon Manager: A dedicated feature to upload and edit sermons in multiple formats.
Pros of Nucleus:
- Prayer request page feature
- 30-day free plan trial with no credit card required
- The platform offers “scholarships” for smaller churches
- Helpful documentation on the website
- 24/7 live chat support is available
You can get started with Nucleus as one of the best church website builders for free by signing up for a 30-day trial on the website. After that, you can upgrade to a premium plan for the website builder at a fee of $99/month.
10. WordPress with Thrive Themes
Best WordPress template for church sites ($228/year)
WordPress is a behemoth in the website building world. However, it’s a powerful CMS option that is open source and free to use.
Thrive Themes is an advanced yet simple to use suite of website tools that work with WordPress. If you don’t like Thrive, there are many good “Community & Non-Profits” templates for churches.
Using these two together as one of the best church website builders, you can create an accurate conversion-optimized church website that will boost your ministry’s online community.
Although not inherently church-specific, Thrive Themes boasts thousands of customizable pages and templates, which means that you will likely find parish-friendly themes to work with and build an appealing church website.
Key Features of Thrive Themes:
- Marketing-Friendly Features: Unlike most website builders, everything about Thrive Themes with the only builder, WordPress – is designed to help you build a church website that will encourage action from your visitors.
- Wide Range of Tools: Thrive has a theme builder, quiz builder, email marketing tools, and various other products to help you manage your church website. You can also add other plugins and widgets as well.
- Fast Page Loading: Thrive is known for its superfast website loading speeds, which is excellent for anyone looking to build a website to meet all of your church’s site needs, and it even offers a self-hosted WordPress site.
Pros of Thrive Themes:
- Conversion-focused pages
- Hundreds of page templates
- Free training from Thrive University
- Easy to use page editor
- Fully responsive templates
- Import your custom domain name from dozens of website hosting platforms
WordPress site is completely free to download and use. However, thrive Themes costs $90/quarter or $228/year for the entire suite of WordPress tools.
Church Website Builder Additional Options:
- Webflow: Free version and free plan available with plenty of modern templates.
- Final Web: A platform to build stunning websites for churches.
- Churchikon Church Website Builder: Have a church website up in 5 minutes.
- Church Web Builder: Beautiful, unique, mobile-friendly church-filled themes.
- Mission: A church website builder and powerful web design platform.
- uKit: Choose from 100s of stunning and customizable church site pages.
- Jimdo: An AI-powered platform to help you get your website online quickly.
What Features to Look For in a Website Builder For Churches
What features should you look for in great church website builders?
1. Ease of Use: If you are new to website design, it’s better to choose a platform that offers ease of use through the use of a drag-and-drop editor so you can quickly customize your templates.
2. Functionality: Your church website builder should come with apps and integrations to build a website with all the functions you need to perform and not just a pretty face, but all the parts you need.
3. Mobile Responsiveness: If your church website doesn’t perform well on mobile devices, it will be penalized by Google.
And since the majority of people search on their phones, you need a church website builder that offers mobile-responsive themes and templates.
4. Giving Features: Choose a builder that either has features for online tithing and giving or one that allows you to integrate third-party products for this easily.
5. Podcast/Sermon Capabilities: The platform you choose should allow you to upload sermons and for your attendees to download and view them in video and audio formats.
6. Custom Domain Names: Church Website builders often give you a free domain with URL names. To make the URL of your church website looks better, make sure that your website builder allows you to use your own domain name.
7. SEO Tools: SEO stands for “Search Engine Optimization,” and it’s the process for getting your webpages ranked on Google. Church websites can use SEO to help people looking for churches find yours.
8. Step-by-Step Guides and Tutorials: If you’ve never built a website before, guides and tutorials are undoubtedly helpful for those who need to know how to make a powerful website. Luckily, many church website builders offer these services with a free plan or trial.
9. Low Fees: Price does matter when looking for a church website builder. Free plans are available on some premium website builders, but their functionality is often limited.
Seek out premium plans with no upfront costs, low monthly fees, and an excess of features.
How Can a Website Builder Help You as a Church?
As a church, having a church website builder will help you by cutting down on the time required to build and launch your church website.
These days, a church website is one of the most important factors facilitating churchgoers’ participation at most churches.
That’s why you need an advanced or basic church website builder to help you create an appealing website that will entice more members to join your ministry.
You don’t have to waste time learning how to code to build a fully functional site with the right website-building tool.
You can simply create and launch a website in a few clicks and add all the features you need to help keep your current and future congregation members engaged- create a website without even being tech-savvy or a professional coder.
A website doesn’t just give your church another way to reach new congregants. It is also a great way to build your church.
The best church website builder allows you to create a platform for bookings, communicate with church leaders, post an update on church ministry announcements, share sermons, blog, and give your church members new ways to stay connected and build community.
Website Builder For Churches FAQ
What Pages Are a Requirement for Churches?
Your church’s new website needs to have the following pages: a Homepage, “About” page, Life Events, Calendar, Donations page, Newsletter, Sermons, and a Contact Page. Of course, you may decide to add other pages depending on your community and its needs.
Are all of these church website builders point and click?
These days, most church website builders focus on making the site creation process as easy as possible without being tech-savvy.
All the options on our list offer a simple drag-and-drop builder. However, using point-and-click tools doesn’t mean that your church’s site won’t be as stunning as one coded by a professional.
What are good website colors for churches?
Different colors invoke different thoughts and emotions, which means that color directly impacts how your church brand is viewed.
So, if you are not matching your church website colors to existing church colors, take time to research the colors that will directly represent the message and personality of your church.
Do churches need permission to post pictures on their website?
If pictures were taken at a public event, permission is not necessary unless it’s of a guest speaker or a well-known person, or a church leader.
You can add free images and images from your ministry events to your church website and publications. Still, the best practice is to refrain from identifying any individuals in the picture.
Best Website Builders for Churches — Summary and Top Picks
The best website builders for churches are designed to help you build a virtual presence for your church so that people can discover your church and the good it’s doing in the world quickly and easily.
When selecting a website builder for your church, there are a few important things to consider: the overall ease-of-use of the website builder, what church-focused templates are included, sermon-integration features, donation and tithing functionality, eCommerce integrations for churches selling Bibles and church, ability to integrate with email and social media channels, and the overall cost of the platform.
Here Are My Top Picks of the Best Website Builders for Churches: